AVR-X3600H - A viable low cost alternative to the more expensive AVPs(Denon) and AVCs (Yamaha)?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks to Gene, who discovered a neat trick to use the AVR-X3600H with external amplifier(s) and disconnect the front left and right channel power amps to maximize the pre out performance for 2 channel stereo use.

ASR just measured it using this trick, and guess what, SINAD better than the AV8805 and AV7705. It beats the MRX-1120 too, just barely though.

I am curious to know how many will now feel comfortable using it as an AVP. It is 7.1.4 capable so aside from reliability, the RX-A2080 cannot touch it. I wish I know how to start a poll.

So users of the X4300H, SR6011, SR7010 and higher models should do the same if they want the pre out to perform better at 2 V and above, though I doubt the benefits are audible to too many people.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Only a few golden-ears will hear any benefits.

Actually, scratch that. If they are golden-ears, there’s no way they will give any AVR a chance in heck. All AVR’s are junks. :D

Golden-ears will always hear better sound from separates regardless of any kind of measurements.

So if we exclude golden-ears (since they regard AVR’s as junk), and we only include regular-ears, then NONE of these measurements make any difference in audible sound.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks to Gene, who discovered a neat trick to use the AVR-X3600H with external amplifier(s) and disconnect the front left and right channel power amps to maximize the pre out performance for 2 channel stereo use.

So users of the X4300H, SR7011 and higher models should do the same if they want the pre out to perform better at 2 V and above, though I doubt the benefits are audible to too many people.
Does this apply to the 3500 or 3400? Or is it only in the 3600 of the 3XXX series?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This sure has the makings of a fun thread! Count me in! :p

There's no way to do this little trick with the SR6*** series is there? I mean, I don't believe I'd gain anything from it. I don't have any issues with voltage output I'm aware of. If I could tho, I'd do it anyway!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Does this apply to the 3500 or 3400? Or is it only in the 3600 of the 3XXX series?
Yes, the 3600 is the only 11 channel processing capable unit in the 3000 series. The SR6011/12/13/14 should be able to do it too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This sure has the makings of a fun thread! Count me in! :p

There's no way to do this little trick with the SR6*** series is there? I mean, I don't believe I'd gain anything from it. I don't have any issues with voltage output I'm aware of. If I could tho, I'd do it anyway!
You have the SR6012 right? It should work too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Only a few golden-ears will hear any benefits.

Actually, scratch that. If they are golden-ears, there’s no way they will give any AVR a chance in heck. All AVR’s are junks. :D

Golden-ears will always hear better sound from separates regardless of any kind of measurements.

So if we exclude golden-ears (since they regard AVR’s as junk), and we only include regular-ears, then NONE of these measurements make any difference in audible sound.
Agreed, but if someone was silly enough to end up matching the AVR with a low gain 200 WPC power amp (I am thinking 26 dB or lower), this feature may be able to make an audible difference.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I dunno man. My buttery midrange is better on pancakes now, but it's not as syrupy as it was before...

:p

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
3600 still doesn’t allow NeuralX on Dolby content?
I don’t see a firmware patch listed at Denon or mentioned here or on AVS, even though Dolby had backed down on this rule a few months after 3600 was released.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I dunno man. My buttery midrange is better on pancakes now, but it's not as syrupy as it was before...

:p
You jus need some choc-o-lot-ay!!!!!

My 6012 can do this, but I’m already using all of its amps.
No soup for me...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
3600 still doesn’t allow NeuralX on Dolby content?
I don’t see a firmware patch listed at Denon or mentioned here or on AVS, even though Dolby had backed down on this rule a few months after 3600 was released.
My 6012 does. Hope it doesn’t do some stupid FW update in the middle of the night!!!

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
So users of the X4300H, SR6011, SR7011 and higher models should do the same if they want the pre out to perform better at 2 V and above, though I doubt the benefits are audible to too many people.
SR7010 does it too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Pogre, you need to select 11 channels such as 7.1.4, and set fronts to pre out. I posted the screenshot before. Can you do a search? Let me know if you can't find it. I am tied up at the moment, may be AVuser001 can help if needed.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Pogre, you need to select 11 channels such as 7.1.4, and set fronts to pre out. I posted the screenshot before. Can you do a search? Let me know if you can't find it. I am tied up at the moment, may be AVuser001 can help if needed.
This is what I had earlier - picked up from one of my earlier posts , on my Marantz SR7010 Amp Assign/Speaker config:

1587168190153.png

In the above cases, the Front ch amps were reassigned to Height channels (Top/ceiling), as I needed them.., but you can just reassign to heights and not connect anything to the terminals, if theresnt a need.

I have , since then moved the Marantz upto my office room to support the 2 channel config, temporarily - so dont have this particular config anymore.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Wish I could do this trick with my AVR-X5200! :cool: I'm using the pre-outs for my front L/R channels. I know Gene measured the 5200 some years ago and gave it a pretty good score. Therefore, I'm not sure that a newer AVR with this feature would make an audible difference. But I do like the idea of being able to shut off the amps for those front L/R channels.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis