AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I took a mythology course in college and the prof made an argument that there are only about 6 distinct stories in all of human literature. He outlined them and I can't say that I disagree. Avatar is one of them, stories that have a well adapted "golden age" culture that is invaded by barbaric outsiders. A messiah/leader emerges and leads "the people" to a righteous victory. A less positive spin is a tragic loss by The People. Sometimes the leader is one of the evil ones who realizes that The People have a more pure and valid life and joins as one of them. This plot isn't original and was already about 5,000 years old when Pocahontas and Dances With Wolves was written. It remains a good story after thousands of years. The people that have accused Avatar of being mainly a Liberal, environmental screed apparently have not read much or they would have recognized one of the basic plots in all human history.
Excellent point!:D

So basically, there are only 6 REAL basic stories in all of human literature, and EVERYONE is going to write or copy one of those basic 6 stories. Thus, the only thing truly ORIGINAL is how the story is PRESENTED.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh yeah, BTW, as of 1/10/10, the world box office cume of AVATAR is $1.34 billion.

And as far as 2009 movies is concerned, the domestic run as of 1/10/10 is up to $430 million, which kicked Transformers 2's a$$.:D

People are just plain NUTS over this movie!:eek:

Did I hear it right that James Cameron is planning on an Avatar TRILOGY?

F

Fenix

Audioholic
I read that James Cameron was simply waiting to see how this one did in the box office before decided to write the next two that he has ideas for.

I guess in the not too distant future we will be seeing them. I hope they turn out well. As I said I really like this one (I've seen it 3 times to date), but I'm not sure where they can go from here, aside from the humans returning.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I read that James Cameron was simply waiting to see how this one did in the box office before decided to write the next two that he has ideas for.

I guess in the not too distant future we will be seeing them. I hope they turn out well. As I said I really like this one (I've seen it 3 times to date), but I'm not sure where they can go from here, aside from the humans returning.
Perhaps number two would be about what happens after this movie, rebuilding the destroyed clan's home, expanding the interaction of the ones who stayed behind and the 3rd perhaps the return of the humans on better terms?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps number two would be about what happens after this movie, rebuilding the destroyed clan's home, expanding the interaction of the ones who stayed behind and the 3rd perhaps the return of the humans on better terms?
Yeah, they better have more than bows & arrows when the JARHEAD clan returns.:D

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
I read somewhere that psychologists are identifying an Avatar syndrome....people who appear on the office suffering from something similar to PTSD only it's over that fact that they have to leave Pandora and go back to real life. I sorta get that when I have to come home from the beach, but I guess these folks will have to get a grip and remember that there is no Pandora....it's a movie.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Will it make money? We will see. I don't think it will be the hit they expect, and I bet the ticket sales don't hold out. 13 year old girls made titanic a hit and they won't be seeing this movie like they did that one.
Guess you got that one wrong. Week five and I still can't buy IMAX tickets the day of the movie because it is already sold out.

I think the technology is cool though and I am a pissed that can't go to the theater and enjoy it. I would probably get up and walk out with the first sign of conservative bashing.
Guess what - you can go to the theater and enjoy it. All you need is a better attitude.

I'm sure that if you agreed with Cameron's politics we would be reading your review praising this movie. Get over yourself. Bashing a director and his movie because you don't agree with the message is just sad. No one wants to hear it (as was pointed out multiple times).

The reason this movie is making so much money is because it is an amazing spectacle, not because it has some deep, resonating message to deliver. Most people aren't that deep. They just want to escape reality for a few hours and Avatar delivers in that regard beautifully.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

.....The reason this movie is making so much money is because it is an amazing spectacle, not because it has some deep, resonating message to deliver. Most people aren't that deep. They just want to escape reality for a few hours and Avatar delivers in that regard beautifully.
There's a little more than that. The "Dances With Wolves" plot is one of the oldest plots around. The Greek golden age, the Garden of Eden, etc, go for this vein. An ideal world, interrupted by barbarians is one of the most basic of stories. It's well used, but the fact that it has been around for 5000 years in many cultures says something about its durability. Cameron used a well worn but resonant plot with spectacular visuals, a winning combination.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The only thing that Avatar has to overtake now is Cameron's last masterpiece. I just checked the showtimes at my local theater, they still have 3 (2 in 3D, one in 2D) auditoriums open of 18 with a total of 11 showtimes. At it's present rate, and the latency of release in certain nations, it looks theoretically possible that this film could overtake Titanic in worldwide sales.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just finished [strike]watching[/strike] experiencing it, and darn it was well worth $20 I paid for the privilege to watch it in gorgeous IMAX 3D - next step to make my HT sound like it :D
As everyone else I was blow away for gfx and i hope in sequel we'll get improvements in storyline...

For numbers fans - this is better source:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Cameron also working on several very interesting titles like Terminator 5, Forbidden Planet ,Fantastic Voyage and Heavy Metal.... can't wait till these are out. If anyone here got access to IMDBPro pls share some details..

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It's already overtaken everything but Titanic in worldwide sales. Avatar did extremely well internationally, much better than Batman: Dark Knight. That doesn't take away from the merit of Dark Knight, still an excellent movie and highly profitable on a percentage ratio.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just finished [strike]watching[/strike] experiencing it, and darn it was well worth $20 I paid for the privilege to watch it in gorgeous IMAX 3D - next step to make my HT sound like it :D
As everyone else I was blow away for gfx and i hope in sequel we'll get improvements in storyline...

For numbers fans - this is better source:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Cameron also working on several very interesting titles like Terminator 5, Forbidden Planet ,Fantastic Voyage and Heavy Metal.... can't wait till these are out. If anyone here got access to IMDBPro pls share some details..
Wow, my local IMAX only charges $14 for regular pricing. Matinees are $9. Sounds like I am getting a good deal. I do agree, however, Avatar in the IMAX-3D was absolutely amazing! Thoroughly enjoyed seeing it. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, my local IMAX only charges $14 for regular pricing. Matinees are $9. Sounds like I am getting a good deal. I do agree, however, Avatar in the IMAX-3D was absolutely amazing! Thoroughly enjoyed seeing it. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil
Price was $16.5 + 2 Fandango "Convenience Fee" :mad: [Per Ticket] + State Tax

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does James Cameron know Voodu Movie Magic or something?

People are now saying it will NO DOUBT overtake "Titanic" at the global box office!:eek:

As of Monday, it grossed $1.1 billion internationally, $505 million domestically.

"Titanic" grossed like $1.2 billion internationally & $600 million domestically.

This is INSANE.:eek:

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I just saw Avatar for the first time today. My gf and I saw it at the local IMAX in 3D. I was totally blown away by it. Some scenes didn't work as well as others in 3D but overall it was pretty amazing.

Jim

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Does James Cameron know Voodu Movie Magic or something?

People are now saying it will NO DOUBT overtake "Titanic" at the global box office!:eek:

As of Monday, it grossed $1.1 billion internationally, $505 million domestically.

"Titanic" grossed like $1.2 billion internationally & $600 million domestically.

This is INSANE.:eek:
Where are you getting your numbers?:confused: Those figures are incorrect. Check box office mojo for details.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

I just saw Avatar for the first time today. My gf and I saw it at the local IMAX in 3D. I was totally blown away by it. Some scenes didn't work as well as others in 3D but overall it was pretty amazing.

Jim
I went for the second time today and am still impressed, esepcially in 3D. In fact, I think I liked it better the second time. I was so visually overwhelmed the first time that I missed a lot while I was wiping the drool off my shirt. This time I really noticed one of Cameron's trademarks, which is his obsessive attention to details. The plant life, details in the earthling HQ...all this really holds together. I also noted some imagery that reminded me of the bottom of the sea creatures in The Abyss. What's amazing is how, by the time you leave it seems like Pandora really exists and everybody ought to be 10 feet tall and blue. I mentioned this once before, but apparently psychologists have seen people checking in with a sort of Pandora shock, like they don't want to go back to earth after multiple viewings.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis