AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Where are you getting your numbers?:confused: Those figures are incorrect. Check box office mojo for details.
What I said: "As of Monday, Avatar grossed $1.1 billion internationally (foreign), $505 million domestically".

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Box Office Mojo:

Domestic: $505,067,000
Foreign: $1,115,424,649
Worldwide: $1,620,491,649

Titanic
Domestic: $600,788,188
Foreign: $1,242,091,767
Worldwide: $1,842,879,955

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As of today, Sunday, Avatar needs only $48 million to break Titanic's Domestic Record!:eek:

Avatar needs $ 98 million to break Titanic's World Wide Record!:eek:

Avatar World Wide: $1,745,839,686

Titanic World Wide: $1,842,879,955
Titanic Domestic: $600,788,188

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was wrong.

Avatar only needs $7 Million to beat Titanic's World Wide Box Office Record!:eek:

Avatar Global Box office as of today: $1,836,143,000
Titanic global box office: $1,842,879,955

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I was wrong.

Avatar only needs $7 Million to beat Titanic's World Wide Box Office Record!:eek:

Avatar Global Box office as of today: $1,836,143,000
Titanic global box office: $1,842,879,955
Very impressive if you ask me. I knew it was going to happen. However, doing so in such a short time is what impresses me the most! Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Phil

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Very impressive if you ask me. I knew it was going to happen. However, doing so in such a short time is what impresses me the most! Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Phil
Then they've got Blu-ray and DVD sales on top of that to come. It's sure to overtake Titanic's DVD/LD/VHS sales.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Then they've got Blu-ray and DVD sales on top of that to come. It's sure to overtake Titanic's DVD/LD/VHS sales.
No doubt about that. I agree 100%! Just takes a little bit of time. Like many here, I will have to own Avatar once it becomes available on BR.

Cheers,

Phil

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Total dollars don't mean jack. How does it stack up with just total number of tickets sold compared to movies in the past?

I paid like a buck fifty to see Star Wars; not 13 bucks at an Imax.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Total dollars don't mean jack. How does it stack up with just total number of tickets sold compared to movies in the past?

I paid like a buck fifty to see Star Wars; not 13 bucks at an Imax.
It may not mean EVERYTHING, especially not to EVERYONE, but does mean SOMETHING.

I means that it is an AWESOME movie to A LOT of people around the ENTIRE WORLD.

Quit being a PARTY POOPER. :D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
It may not mean EVERYTHING, especially not to EVERYONE, but does mean SOMETHING.

I means that it is an AWESOME movie to A LOT of people around the ENTIRE WORLD.

Quit being a PARTY POOPER. :D
Well according to two sits I checked it is number 26 after adjusting for inflation. So it is popular yes, but by far not the greatest box office champ. Gone With the Wind and Star Wars have sold about 3 times as many tickets. And in fact, from number 25 to 50 there is not all that much difference in number of tickets sold. So in reality it fits right along with some very average movies. Really not all that impressive.:p

Last edited:
Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
The wife and I saw the movie it was ok, was it worth the $34 for tickets not really. Jeff what site did you look at?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well according to two sits I checked it is number 26 after adjusting for inflation. So it is popular yes, but by far not the greatest box office champ. Gone With the Wind and Star Wars have sold about 3 times as many tickets. And in fact, from number 25 to 50 there is not all that much difference in number of tickets sold. So in reality it fits right along with some very average movies. Really not all that impressive.:p
Party Pooper.:p

By the way, Wal-Mart is cutting about 11,200 of Sam's Club staffers.

And the economy sucks too.

Box Office Mojo:
Still champ is "Gone with the Wind," which grossed $400 million worldwide in 1939, now worth at least $6 trillion in today's dollars.

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Box Office Mojo:
Still champ is "Gone with the Wind," which grossed $400 million worldwide in 1939, now worth at least $6 trillion in today's dollars.
That kind of puts things into perspective don't it? You know I have yet to see that movie. I am glad I waited until blu-ray though. I will now get to see it in all it's restored glory.

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
That kind of puts things into perspective don't it?
Having grown up in the present age of technology, the perspective I get from that is "Things to spend your free time on in 1939 != Things to spend your free time on in 2009".

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah ... :rolleyes:

Question: Which one of these guys saw the film? I'll give you three guesses.

Let's give this film 50 years to make money before we start comparing it to Star Wars and GWTW. ;)
FYI, this movie will never make as much as the Star Wars franchise.;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Having grown up in the present age of technology, the perspective I get from that is "Things to spend your free time on in 1939 != Things to spend your free time on in 2009".
Yeah, do they even have bowling or golf back in 1939?:D

Were playing cards even invented?:D

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a DAMN!" was so controversial people just had to see GWTW.:D

BTW, I've seen GWTW on LaserDisc, DVD, and Blu-ray (I have all 3).:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis