AV123 MFW-15 Subwoofer

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Can someone explain this test? I understand what a peak hold is, but the gain knobs are set on the back of the sub effect the results, no? Or were these graphs made by progressively increasing the gain on each sub until they started making funny noises or started protecting themselves (if these subs have protection)? I understand you can get a comparison of the shape of the frequency response from a test like that, but, is the peak output really valid?

Loki

Enthusiast
This is from the summary from Craig's results. I'm sure he would provide you more specific answers.

"Listening procedures:

All listening us done under blind conditions. The panel of listeners include several very experienced audiophiles, some of whom also design and build high end pro audio speakers. The subwoofers were each placed in the identical room position, and eq'ed to have a farly flat (3 dB window) response curve from 18 Hz and up, when the subwoofer was able to go that "low".

Measuring procedures: All measurements are taken at 2 meters from the front baffle of a subwoofer. In the case of a ported sub, the microphone is placed so it is 2 meters from the center of the driver(s) and port. The posted measured results are max "clean" 20 Hz output and the average from 20 to 63 Hz. If it seemed like the amp was the limiting factor in output, "AL" is added to the 20 Hz SPL."

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Can someone explain this test? I understand what a peak hold is, but the gain knobs are set on the back of the sub effect the results, no? Or were these graphs made by progressively increasing the gain on each sub until they started making funny noises or started protecting themselves (if these subs have protection)? I understand you can get a comparison of the shape of the frequency response from a test like that, but, is the peak output really valid?
The scene is done with increasing the gain from the receiver until the sub starts to "sound bad" ... with some subs, it is chuffing, with others, bottoming ... and "bad" noises, and the test is done.

And the MFW-15 pair does an average of 3 dB more above 18 Hz ... with the Ultra doing a little better below that.

Where the slam comes in is the Seaton designed MFW-15 hit "harder-faster" .. it is audbile, and palpable ... but not measurable.

Both are terrific products ...

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
The scene is done with increasing the gain from the receiver until the sub starts to "sound bad" ... with some subs, it is chuffing, with others, bottoming ... and "bad" noises, and the test is done.

And the MFW-15 pair does an average of 3 dB more above 18 Hz ... with the Ultra doing a little better below that.

Where the slam comes in is the Seaton designed MFW-15 hit "harder-faster" .. it is audbile, and palpable ... but not measurable.

Both are terrific products ...
If I understand things properly if you're not interested in high SPL levels or sub 18Hz performance then the MFWs have a similar level of accuracy / precision / tightness / dynamics ... right? Or did I misunderstand pieces of the review?

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
I feel my money was very well spent getting the Ultra. I would still buy one even with the review of the dual MFW-15s. That's just my opinion though...
Just a thought, the ultra is stackable too.

I am curious about the slam factor of the MFW, I think I would be happy with a pair of these, as music is way more important than movie effects for me. Maybe add an ultra or a conquest later for the deepest deep :)

from the craigsub results:
Listening results: Pairing two MFW-15's does exactly what one would expect, it adds a signifigant amount of slam to the areas in which the single unit excelled. What a pair of MFW-15's does above 20 Hz is what makes it the 3rd alternative in the $1500 and under category for excellent performance for the $$$. On music, it is tight, clean and tuneful. It is the other sub combo the brought the Steely Dan 2AN disc to life. On movies, one will experience room shaking bass that is visceral, with the best slam of any subwoofer in its class. It is overshadowed below 20 Hz by the Castle and Ultra, and it will be up to the listener to decide which of the 3 "109 pointers" works best in his system.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
If I understand things properly if you're not interested in high SPL levels or sub 18Hz performance then the MFWs have a similar level of accuracy / precision / tightness / dynamics ... right? Or did I misunderstand pieces of the review?
Maybe I should rephrase the questions:

If I co-locate two subs all I get compared to one sub is more SPL headroom ... right? If one sub had enough SPL headroom for my purposes then two subs would be overkill ... right??

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe I should rephrase the questions:

If I co-locate two subs all I get compared to one sub is more SPL headroom ... right? If one sub had enough SPL headroom for my purposes then two subs would be overkill ... right??
yes. when co-located, all you get is headroom.

...and the coolness factor. :)

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
yes. when co-located, all you get is headroom.

...and the coolness factor. :)
Also, you can position two subwoofers in a way where their peaks are misaligned at the listening position, allowing you to shave off peaks with an EQ and get flatter frequency response at the listening position.

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
Which finish would match a pair of Axiom M80s in Boston Cherry the best? I am thinking the Cherry Satin but its hard to tell from a picture, it might be the Palisander Rosa Satin

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
I went ahead and ordered two of the cherry satins. This audio addiction is serious. Good thing I am single eh?

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
MFW-15 and Axiom M80

I am ordering a pair of MFW-15s and I have Boston Cherry Axiom M80s and they are going to be side by side so I am not sure whether the Palisander Rosa Satin or the Cherry Satin would be a better match? Anyone else with M80s that bought this subwoofer?

F

Fancypants

Audioholic Intern
For someone on a budget, these things look too good to be true.

Now I only hope that this price will stick around for at least a year or so, because I promised my wife no upgrades/major purchases until we get a house of our own. I hope I am not living in a naive fantasy world hoping the price on the pair of MFW-15's sticks around.

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
For someone on a budget, these things look too good to be true.

Now I only hope that this price will stick around for at least a year or so, because I promised my wife no upgrades/major purchases until we get a house of our own. I hope I am not living in a naive fantasy world hoping the price on the pair of MFW-15's sticks around.
Thats interesting, I am getting my HT room the way I want it before the girlfriend comes out to possibly stay because I know if I wait, it won't happen.

F

Fancypants

Audioholic Intern
Well, trying not to go too off topic, we live in a house that we don't like and want to get out (currently renting). Thus spending $1000.00 on a pair of subs ($1200.00 shipped) puts us that much further back to owning our own place. Additionally, when I met my wife, she was living in a basement apartment, and the people who rented the house above her were our University's track team. So we know what it can be like living below people, and out of respect for the people living in our basement, we try not to play the current set-up too loud, bass in particular since we know what it was like. These subs would not be basement people friendly.

Also, I want to have my own place and do the installation to the best of my ability for a clean and professional look, instead of doing it hodge podge where we are now only to disconnect it all and then have to buy new speaker wire for the new house installation.

B

Bubba Hoosier

Audiophyte
Question

First let me start by saying what a great site this is. Ben reading here for a while and have learned much. I was ready to buy a SVS PC 20-39 when I came across this sub. For $300 less sounds to good to be true as I have read only good things about this sub. Any thoughts on how the two compare? Also, how can it do so well with only a 300w amp? Seems it would be under powered. I do about 60% movies, 40% music and i think this would be perfect.

Thanks

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
I have ordered a pair of MFW-15's myself. I am upgrading from a single PB10-ISD. Just a tad of an upgrade. :)

--Regards,

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
Also, how can it do so well with only a 300w amp? Seems it would be under powered.
I think the driver is extremely efficient. It must have a pretty potent motor. The cabinet is also pretty big. Mark has said before that the amp is perfectly mated to the driver and the enclosure.

--Regards,

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
First let me start by saying what a great site this is. Ben reading here for a while and have learned much. I was ready to buy a SVS PC 20-39 when I came across this sub. For $300 less sounds to good to be true as I have read only good things about this sub. Any thoughts on how the two compare? Also, how can it do so well with only a 300w amp? Seems it would be under powered. I do about 60% movies, 40% music and i think this would be perfect.

Thanks
Iwanted a SVS PB-13 Ultra, but I found that Craigsub review and rating and it talked about the slam effect and Bringing the Steely Dan - Two Against Nature recording come to life and that is why I decided on two MFW-15s, I hope I will be happy with that. Here is the link

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768150

B

Bubba Hoosier

Audiophyte
Thank you Vaughan and Larry

At first I thought I would save $300 but now I'm thinking for only $100 more I could get two. Decisions, decisions. Room is about 13x24x8, Maybe two would be overkill, I can't decide. Any thoughts?

Thanks

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I'm actually a bit sceptical to these subs because, unlike all former AV123 subs, these are ported designs, and in my experience ported designs are slower and does not perform as well as sealed sub's

has Av123 compromised with their own design goals?

Regards

Harald N

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis