Autumn 2023 TV Advice

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@ryanosaur After giving much thought, I'm going to hold up till next year. Sony OLED more than likely will get LG's hand-me down EVO panel. You bet Sony is Itching to get their hands on their panel.
Right?.

I’ve considered delaying some. There is nothing wrong with my x900f. It is a solid TV. The only problem I have had with it is a random Dolby Vision error I have seen discussed where the hue starts flashing green. A factory reset seems to fix. If this continues to be a problem, well… cross that bridge when I come to it.

For me , now, it’s about my panel getting the benefits of the newer video technology. Especially once I get my AVR upgraded.

It’s fun to fantasize about the 65” screen, but truthfully, at about 10’, I’m right in between 55 and 65 for recommended size. ;)
There’s no telling what the next generation will bring in 2024. I like that LG C series offers full HDMI function on all ports where Sony only does 2 on the screens I’ve been looking at.
This year seems like the sweet spot for me to get what I want and what I need for system goals. :)

hopefully next years options will please you! :D

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
A few things I like about LG OLED, they do have the thinnest panel very good reliability, QC. I could go on and on but anyone who knows about OLED, LG has a very good track record. That 65" C3 1599 is the best deal for the money, the 55" C3 at 1299 Is a steel!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It's all a balancing act. If anybody needs the features of a C3, including the soon to be gone ATSC3.0 tuner, this holiday season is the time to get one for the right price. My eyes are 9' from the 77" inch screen and I almost wish I'd gone 83". The LG C3 65" is very nicely priced right now. If it gets even better here soon, pounce on it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The standard rule almost always applies to everyone...
Get the biggest OLED display for your room that you can afford.
If the room is super bright where reflections are a major issue or you do a TON of gaming, consider a good LCD TV instead.
The televisions have all gotten quite good and thinking you'll be unhappy with one over another is rarely the case, especially if you get an OLED.

The single biggest complaint that remains?

People wish they had gotten a bigger display.

I have an 85" television in my family room. A 161" front projection setup in the basement.

If I could afford the 98" TCL, I would do so. If TCL comes along with their 115" (?) LCD, then that's what I'd love to get.

About 10" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance is VERY viewable and enjoyable for even casual viewing for most people.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
BestBuy, dropped the price of Hisense 65" U8K to 899.99, 55" U8K 699.99. cheap alternative. Both spec out
good. On a side note, China TV, quality control customer service is a hit or miss, can get buggy.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
BestBuy, dropped the price of Hisense 65" U8K to 899.99, 55" U8K 699.99. cheap alternative. Both spec out
good. On a side note, China TV, quality control customer service is a hit or miss, can get buggy.
Other than TLS' concern, my choice of ruling this one out was due to reports of it being somewhat buggy. I would take the TCL QM850 over this... Though for those on a tighter budget it will be a challenging offer to pass up!

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Other than TLS' concern, my choice of ruling this one out was due to reports of it being somewhat buggy. I would take the TCL QM850 over this... Though for those on a tighter budget it will be a challenging offer to pass up!
That TCL 65" QM850 was reviewed and got good results. Even better overall performing TV. No bugs.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
On Amazon, the 65" TCL QM850 just followed the Hisense UM8K down to ~$900.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Buying junk are the most expensive purchases you ever make.
;)
I'm not running out to buy one! Promise.
But also not ruling it out, to be fair.

Here's the thing, Doc... if you had to choose between upgrading your AVR to a Processor, OR buying the best TV...

What do you do? Do you make a small sacrifice on the Processor side, or the TV side of that equation?

That's what I'm weighing, and why I'm waiting to see what happens over the next 2-3 weeks leading up to Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The visual differences in the TV upgrade will be more noticeable than any audible differences, if any, when upgrading from the Marantz 6012 to something else. If the eARC update to the Marantz 6012 works properly, a device supporting 4K @120Hz can be directly connected to the LG C3 with no loss of audio quality when playing uncompressed multichannel signals from directly connected devices. What is it exactly that you feel is lacking in the 6012?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The visual differences in the TV upgrade will be more noticeable than any audible differences, if any, when upgrading from the Marantz 6012 to something else. If the eARC update to the Marantz 6012 works properly, a device supporting 4K @120Hz can be directly connected to the LG C3 with no loss of audio quality when playing uncompressed multichannel signals from directly connected devices. What is it exactly that you feel is lacking in the 6012?
It's not that something is lacking, per se, rather that this is my opportunity to upgrade for the next long haul and my AVR is showing some age. Volume knob does not function; minor annoyance. Other aspects are becoming limiting such as processing options and I will soon not need on-board amps at all.

How do I know if my AVR took an eARC upgrade? I haven't seen any available firmware updates in quite a while.

Regardless, its not an expected SQ upgrade, but a function upgrade.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Without a TV that supports eARC connected to it, you wouldn't be able to check it out. You can benefit now from the increased size and quality of the picture from an LG C3 65". I wouldn't compromise the upgrade of the TV or AVR. When budgets are tight, do one at a time. In this case, I'd upgrade the TV to the C3. Without a device that supports 4K @120Hz and DTHD, DTSMA or MULTICHANNEL PCM connected directly to the TV, eARC isn't needed here. The Marantz can process 11 channels. Amps can be added if necessary. There isn't anything new in processing except increased cross upmixing limitations from AVRS from just a few years ago.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Without a TV that supports eARC connected to it, you wouldn't be able to check it out.
I meant how can I confirm that my Marantz is able to do eARC? Not check it out, but just know it is capable.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The eARC was supposed to be added in a future firmware release, so the manual might not reflect that.
Unless my Search-Fu is weak right now, I’m not seeing anything that indicates an eARC update for the 6012. Though there was something that came up in German and made it look like there may have been such an update… I could not find any other reference or confirmation.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I meant how can I confirm that my Marantz is able to do eARC? Not check it out, but just know it is capable.
Even if updated, you won’t be able to test without a TV that supports eARC.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What’s your state of mind and time worth to you? If your credit card balances are where you want them, buy the TV. I get it. I agonized over my TV purchase as well for too long. One day, I woke up and raced to U-Haul to get the van and got it done. No regrets. There will always be a better deal. You can save a few bucks here and there but you can never get back the time. You could have been enjoying the LG C3 for a while now. Honestly, you’re gonna’ have to change the title of the thread from Autumn to Winter at this rate. No pressure, of course.;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Supposedly, the firmware update for the 6012 that included eARC also included Alexa Voice Command. See if that is available in your 6012. Are there really no other 6012 owners in his joint?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Supposedly, the firmware update for the 6012 that included eARC also included Alexa Voice Command. See if that is available in your 6012. Are there really no other 6012 owners in his joint?
Well yeah! I still have mine. Still haven’t upgraded my panel… Is there a firmware number that’s listed anywhere to state the update? Seems like the Marantz website did. I can’t check ATM, but maybe you can.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis