Autumn 2023 TV Advice

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just for kicks and masochistic tendencies, I'm still watching prices.

None of the TVs I've been eyeballing have had a pre-BF price drop. Most are now labeled as BF Deal or whatnot.

I have no clue what I'll do if this changes on Friday or Monday. I'm still trying to keep the peace in the household, and ordering a TV right now would be... inflammatory, to say the least. ;)

Oh well. There is always the possibility of doing this all over again at the end of January when Suberbowl TV Sales are in full swing.

Now I just have to hope that business picks up by then and we recover from our client unexpectedly retiring.
*fingers crossed

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Just for kicks and masochistic tendencies, I'm still watching prices.

None of the TVs I've been eyeballing have had a pre-BF price drop. Most are now labeled as BF Deal or whatnot.

I have no clue what I'll do if this changes on Friday or Monday. I'm still trying to keep the peace in the household, and ordering a TV right now would be... inflammatory, to say the least. ;)

Oh well. There is always the possibility of doing this all over again at the end of January when Suberbowl TV Sales are in full swing.

Now I just have to hope that business picks up by then and we recover from our client unexpectedly retiring.
*fingers crossed
65" G3 for $2,182 at Amazon.

77" is $3,449.

83" is $4,396

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
BB buy is selling the SONY XL series with latest processor the XL 85 inch X90L for $1999 , which is a lot cheaper than a Sony projector & less hassle.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Question : I have the following to hookup to my son's TV he just bought from BB with my advice . SonyX90L 85
1: Denon 760 from Costco
2: Apple TV
3:pS5 PS5
Now the TV has 4 HDMI inputs , 2 are HDMI 2.0 & 2 are HDMI 2.1s . I know Denon gets eARC & PS5 gets the HDMI 2.1 120 VRR HDMI input.
where is best to hookup the AppleTV?. 1: go through Denon or use one of the 2.0 HDMI inputs in the back of the TV.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In other news... My crisis is averted for now. No major price reductions on any of the screens I was looking at. While one of my cards pumped up the offer for a statement credit to 10% purchasing through LG directly, that isn't enough to make the difference for me.
*shrugs

Whew.
*wipes brow

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Sorry that's a cheap Denon from Costco S760 or S764 which has eARC . Don't know why I got Denon680.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Question : I have the following to hookup to my son's TV he just bought from BB with my advice . SonyX90L 85
1: Denon680
2: Apple TV
3:pS5 PS5
Now the TV has 4 HDMI inputs , 2 are HDMI 2.0 & 2 are HDMI 2.1s . I know Denon gets eARC & PS5 gets the HDMI 2.1 120 VRR HDMI input.
where is best to hookup the AppleTV?. 1: go through Denon or use one of the 2.0 HDMI inputs in the back of the TV.
Run everything through the S760H so the onscreen display is available when using any of the external devices. It supports 4K @120Hz from HDMI ports 3-6.

The Costco sale price of $379.99 makes the S760H the best bang for buck of anything around $400. Nice grab!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
A properly configured AVR will just passthrough the video signal without any processing of it. There will be no degradation of the signal and the TV will process the incoming signal accordingly. I've used the S760H. It can passthrough video signals just fine.

Using HDMI 2.1 devices connected directly to a TV and then using eARC for audio return to a receiver requires very specific settings in all of the devices to achieve optimal audio output. Even when achieved, it isn't worth losing the AVR's onscreen display and settings menu and having to switch HDMI ports in the TV to get them. Just run everything through the receiver.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The extra link in the audio chain using eARC has resulted in far more audio issues than any video issues caused by using AVR video passthrough. The weak link in the video chain here is actually the PS5. It is limited to 32Gbps and does not support DSC. The Denon supports 40Gbps via 8K ports and the TV supports 48Gbps via HDMI #3 and #4 ports.

There is no reason to connect directly to the TV and endure eARC issues and the loss of the receiver's onscreen display when nothing will be lost from the video signal when connecting to the receiver.

Apologies to @ryanosaur for the digression. Just get that C3 already!;)

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I wonder if the Denon 760 does the VRR because a yr ago they had a add on box that was made for XBOX and PS5 for older Denons and Marantzs & VRR pass-through.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There are no such issues with the S760H. It supports ALLM, VRR, QMS, QFT and FRL. Just connect the PS5 to HDMI port #4, #5 or #6. Make sure the Denon is set to 8K Enhanced mode to pass 4K @120Hz to the TV.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure what two HDMI outputs have to do with the issue here. Sony TVs have always put out a good picture. But, Sony has really been the last to do anything right with HDMI 2.1 and still comes up short in many ways. I can think of a few things right off the top of my head concerning gaming with a PS5 through a Sony AVR and onto a Sony TV. They SHOULD have set the standard as they are makers of games consoles, AVRs and TVs. But, that just is not the case. I'll continue to recommend LG TVs to PC and next gen console gamers until Sony works it all out.

Regarding eARC and different device, AVR and TV combos, it is all over the place and far more issues are actually had when going the direct to TV route and using eARC than going through an AVR with HDMI 2.1 feature supporting devices. I've connected devices directly to my TV and through different AVRs. ALL of my devices are currently connected to my receiver and those that could not be accommodated are currently out of service. Results for others will vary, of course.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
The TV looks great out of the box , it's NOT an OLED but XL processor does a great job. Discovered how good the IMAX Enhanced MARVEL series on Disney+ looks . The screen gives so much more info compare to 16x9 aspect ratio, like missing actors . Wish iTunes does all their titles in IMAX Enhanced .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis