Audyssey Issues and Ultra Surrounds..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How does it sound for music in stereo? I'll bet pretty good with DV turned off.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
its really just a matter of higher and fuller volume/sounds with DV ON - when its off I feel like something is wrong and some speakers sound like they are off completely! (sound is low and well, less dynamic)

Its insane I know but thats what I experience. Thats why am I always accustomed to selecting DV as ON when I run Audyssey on this system and also the other system I run upstairs - it always worked for me better when ON.
You ran Audyssey and I'm assuming didn't bump any levels too drastically? What's your volume setting when you watch movies? I often turn mine up to -15 or even -10 for some Blu Rays and streaming services. When something big happens it's fairly loud at that level, but normal dialogue right about where I need it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Been trying to stay away from this summation, but:

Consider:

Room size is relatively small.
SVS Towers (now) and PB4000 Subs.
Unwilling to experiment with placement.
Little to no room treatment.
DV on helps kill the bass and limits dynamic impact.
Center speaker is set +4dB above 0-trim. (While we do not know the rest of the trim settings.)

:rolleyes:

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
You ran Audyssey and I'm assuming didn't bump any levels too drastically? What's your volume setting when you watch movies? I often turn mine up to -15 or even -10 for some Blu Rays and streaming services. When something big happens it's fairly loud at that level, but normal dialogue right about where I need it.
+40-45db

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Been trying to stay away from this summation, but:

Consider:

Room size is relatively small.
SVS Towers (now) and PB4000 Subs.
Unwilling to experiment with placement.
Little to no room treatment.
DV on helps kill the bass and limits dynamic impact.
Center speaker is set +4dB above 0-trim. (While we do not know the rest of the trim settings.)

:rolleyes:
Are you rolling your eyes at me????, shame on you - I haven't touched any other trims - only CC, but now +2 only

I have no other place to move speakers, sorry, I have the room I was given

Cheers and smile!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's really low, no matter which volume scale you're using. I use the reference scale, represented in negative numbers. For me -15 to -10 is equal to 65 or 70 for you. 45 for you is equal to -35 for me, which is what I turn it down to when I'm on the phone... it's very quiet for most 5.1 movies. TV and youtube are different. I do turn it down more for that because it's usually louder across the board. Commercials are even worse.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you rolling your eyes at me????, shame on you - I haven't touched any other trims - only CC, but now +2 only
Lol. Yes! I rolled mine at you a couple times too! :p

Have you ever paid attention to how loud explosions and gunshots are at a movie theater? They're really quite loud, up to 105 dB for some short bursts, but the dialogue is relatively a lot quieter. It's just the way movies are mixed. Audyssey's goal is to set up to reach 85 dB at your seat with room for 105 dB peaks when your volume setting is 80 (or in my case using the reference scale, 0).
*PS, That's often a lot louder than necessary for me and most others tho so I almost never listen at that volume.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lol. Yes! I rolled mine at you a couple times too! :p

Have you ever paid attention to how loud explosions and gunshots are at a movie theater? They're really quite loud, up to 105 dB for some short bursts, but the dialogue is relatively a lot quieter. It's just the way movies are mixed. Audyssey's goal is to set up to reach 85 dB at your seat with room for 105 dB peaks when your volume setting is 80 (or in my case using the relative scale, 0).

*PS, That's often a lot louder than necessary for me and most others tho so I almost never listen at that volume.
Don't forget LFE can be 10dB more than speaker channels....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Apple TV 4K has it’s own volume issues. I’d say a volume set at 40-45 using the Apple TV is low. But, my hearing may not be on par with your own. Do you have atmos enabled in the Apple TV settings? While playing with the level of the center channel, experiment with the crossover as well. I wanted to chain myself to 80hz cuz’ if it’s good enough for THX...:D The dialogue just didn’t sound right, kinda like people talking with their hands cupped around their mouth. So, opened up the center channel and some poly fill went in behind the tweeter in front of the port and the crossover went to 60hz. Found my sweet spot.:) Usually watch movies on disc at 70/-10. The only movie I ever had to turn down was that ridiculous “Tenet”.:eek: That number goes up to 73-75 with Apple TV. Just my experience in my setup anyway.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Are you rolling your eyes at me????, shame on you
Really?
Let's see:
I, and four other people!, have offered to help you work through a problem you brought to the forum... In our personal time... And you can't or won't give us a straight response to aid our attempts to help you. In fact, as I recall, while being nice and helpful, YOU dismissed my advice and concern for your system and effectively "good-day-ed" me, the whole while keeping this thread going for pages still of more advice while not actually engaging with any integrity at all to the remaining people here trying to offer you their advice.
All I did is sum the last several pages of this thread into 6 very simple sentences, and your reply is:
shame on you
No, I did not roll my eyes at you, rather a situation of your own making. Clearly it seems to have struck a nerve.

So please, carry on, and have a great time enjoying not enjoying your system.

:)

Good day, sir.
https://tenor.com/view/good-day-sir-wonka-angry-gif-4938393

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Really?
Let's see:
I, and four other people!, have offered to help you work through a problem you brought to the forum... In our personal time... And you can't or won't give us a straight response to aid our attempts to help you. In fact, as I recall, while being nice and helpful, YOU dismissed my advice and concern for your system and effectively "good-day-ed" me, the whole while keeping this thread going for pages still of more advice while not actually engaging with any integrity at all to the remaining people here trying to offer you their advice.
All I did is sum the last several pages of this thread into 6 very simple sentences, and your reply is:

No, I did not roll my eyes at you, rather a situation of your own making. Clearly it seems to have struck a nerve.

So please, carry on, and have a great time enjoying not enjoying your system.

:)

Good day, sir.
https://tenor.com/view/good-day-sir-wonka-angry-gif-4938393
Oh my. I was just being whimsical
Pardon me. No offense meant in your direction

I always appreciate the feedback here and I have stated that several times when posting questions.

If someone asks me a question then I answer without reservations or condemnation

I guess that’s just me though

Again no offense was intended your way.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Apple TV 4K has it’s own volume issues. I’d say a volume set at 40-45 using the Apple TV is low. But, my hearing may not be on par with your own. Do you have atmos enabled in the Apple TV settings? While playing with the level of the center channel, experiment with the crossover as well. I wanted to chain myself to 80hz cuz’ if it’s good enough for THX...:D The dialogue just didn’t sound right, kinda like people talking with their hands cupped around their mouth. So, opened up the center channel and some poly fill went in behind the tweeter in front of the port and the crossover went to 60hz. Found my sweet spot.:) Usually watch movies on disc at 70/-10. The only movie I ever had to turn down was that ridiculous “Tenet”.:eek: That number goes up to 73-75 with Apple TV. Just my experience in my setup anyway.
Just watched Godzilla vs Kong on HBO max

Is it me or was dialog terrible??

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just watched Godzilla vs Kong on HBO max

Is it me or was dialog terrible??
Yeah, the script was s#%t.:p Seriously though, the center volume was very low on this one. Watched it on Apple TV 4K in atmos. Then, tried on Samsung TV app. Only DD 5.1 and dialogue was coming from the center AND the right surround.o_O Really hope they Sort it out for the disc.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I turned my volume almost all the way up for zilla vs kong. Not a great mix for dialogue, but I could hear it fine with the volume cranked up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis