audyssey flat or reference, subwoofer

R

RTG

Audioholic
The app worked like a charm on my iPad. In fact I felt it easier. I just plugged in my room dimensions to find my Schroeder frequency for my room, let Audyssey donits thing like always then made my alterations. Not EQing the full spectrum has done wonders in my room. The Audyssey Ref and Flat setting in my AVR’s have either sounded too dull or too sterile. Limiting MultiEQ to 300hz has brought new life to my speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh. The reviews alone have kept me from wasting that money.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I have read reports of some bugginess but also many reports of delight in what the app can do. It's certainly something I wish they could have updated older units for (I can't use it on my Denons). For $20 seems like something to try and find out for yourself; you can always ask for a refund if it doesn't function properly.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
I haven't used the app yet, but I believe that through AVR's internal system Midrange is enabled, correct? I use the flat and I like it more because it gives me a dialog "Cleaner" and not so stuffy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't used the app yet, but I believe that through AVR's internal system Midrange is enabled, correct? I use the flat and I like it more because it gives me a dialog "Cleaner" and not so stuffy.
You mean the BBC "mid-range compensation" (MRC) aspect of the eq? AFAIK you can eliminate the MRC with the app, but not without.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
You mean the BBC "mid-range compensation" (MRC) aspect of the eq? AFAIK you can eliminate the MRC with the app, but not without.
I dont know if was the MRC or the Audy Flat, but i like the "Cleaner" dialog effect...
When u run the audy from AVR, MRC is enable by default or no ?

R

RTG

Audioholic
I’ve taken a different approach that I like quite a bit.

I’m just about done with my room. My wife picked up a cheap amp and another pair of Atoms speakers for my Christmas present to round out my 7.2.4 setup. Sucks I have to wait but gives me time to run the wires and mounts in my ceiling.

In the meantime I’ve decided to add 3 more acoustic panels to my room. I’m going to mount a 24x48x2 on my ceiling above my sectional. The other 2 (same size) will go on my front wall beside my OLED.

Well... this led my to try something different and I’m super happy so far. I limited MultEQ to 500hz across all channels but I left DEQ on. Very pleased with the results. I didn’t have success before with this approach limiting and DEQ because my room wasn’t treated. Sounded a bit bright with some content, not as controlled. Now it sounds excellent. I know it’ll sound even better when I install the extra panels. I’m having them made now and will have them installed on the 15th. I won’t rerun Audyssey until I add the amp and speakers.

But now I have best of both worlds. My speakers really shine when limited. Full range still sounds great but the less detailed and air.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Anyone who has the app, can you tell me if using audyssey flat, MRC for default is active or not ?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone who has the app, can you tell me if using audyssey flat, MRC for default is active or not ?
I think it defaults to reference with MRC on. You can use the denon/Marantz app, or the AVR remote to change from reference/flat or bypass. The audyssey app can be used to turn off MRC. AFAIK, MRC is ON even when doing a calibration with the AVR. Need the app to turn it off. Dumb...

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
I think it defaults to reference with MRC on. You can use the denon/Marantz app, or the AVR remote to change from reference/flat or bypass. The audyssey app can be used to turn off MRC. AFAIK, MRC is ON even when doing a calibration with the AVR. Need the app to turn it off. Dumb...

..." Currently the only way to disable MRC in your AVR is to select the FLAT curve, or to use Audyssey Pro where it can be disabled for all target curves. "...

I always use flat so I need to download the app to turn off MRC or is it already turned off?

Can anyone who has already purchased the app confirm this please?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

..." Currently the only way to disable MRC in your AVR is to select the FLAT curve, or to use Audyssey Pro where it can be disabled for all target curves. "...

I always use flat so I need to download the app to turn off MRC or is it already turned off?

Can anyone who has already purchased the app confirm this please?
Well I guess not! I just learned something. Yay!!! I never thought about flat. I’ve been using bypass, or reference with it limited to 300.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
MRC shows up in my curve if I don’t manually shut it off in options. That’s xt32 with the app. I run flat.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Here's a REW Graph of my Matrixed 6-channel stereo mode (i.e. matrixed front wides are partially active in that the mains are in them and the same with the dialog lift effect to the front heights, which equals six speakers playing stereo instead of two, although at reduced levels). I believe I have MRC turned ON as

What it shows is that Audyssey Flat and Reference are identical up until the last octave where they are quite different with the rolloff. However, it's NOT all rolloff, unfortunately. Flat also has a nasty little upward kick in the curve for some reason that does not exist in the OFF (natural rolloff in room) curve. It's slightly up in reference and both are well above OFF. Reference is a bit more sibilant sounding with some recordings than OFF, but FLAT is awful sounding with high frequency nasties and high sibilance with many recordings.

Given my Carver ribbon speakers upstairs have a natural rolloff in the upper octave, I can't help but think all those years people said "CD sound" was "harsher" than LPs were hearing EXACTLY what this graph shows in the top octave, at least (i.e. much higher levels),although I don't recall hearing anything particularly nasty with headphones, so perhaps it's just that little 6-9kHz bump that does it, in which case I shouldn't blame the mixing guys. However, LPs are also naturally rolled off in the top octave and CDs are flat as a pancake. Most mixing guys in their late 30s or older probably cannot hear above 15kHz worth a damn if not even lower so they wouldn't even REALIZE they were mixing in digital nasties (i.e. too much high frequency content) on CD mixes since they bloody well can't hear it! Well, it's a theory (but my headphone listening seems to contradict it as they should be flat). I never heard it on the Carver speakers because the Carvers rolled off naturally. That reference rolloff, however sounds much better to my ears than flat. But the OFF setting isn't rolled off at all. It's the natural speaker/room response curve. So Audyssey is actually cranking up the natural rolloff to be perfectly flat where it wouldn't be naturally. No wonder it sounds harsh. I'm already sitting fairly near-field in the front row (8 feet from the speakers). I got even worse results the first time I ran Audyssey full range (too much sibilance even in reference mode),but adjusting the speakers and using slightly different mic points helped. I tried bass only to 200Hz, but it didn't help match the speakers anywhere else (i.e. pink noise definitely sounds more consistent between surround speakers with Audyssey turned on, despite all the speakers using identical or near identical drivers).

I could post 2-channel graphs, but they're rather meaningless for the Audyssey settings since Audyssey was set with matrixed sound ON (since that's how it's used normally) so they're not optimized for it. If I got to true 2-channel, I turn Audyssey off (since it can't store two settings).

Also keep in mind, although some mid-range and high frequencies look big, the overall range is still +/- 3.5dB for the most part with Audyssey turned OFF (and the Reference curve is +/- 3dB to all the way to 19kHz and +/- 2.5dB to 10kHz except for that one room dip) up to the final octave where it turns off. That suckout at 700Hz is uncorrectable with Audyssey. I'd need to find a room treatment, which at that frequency could be difficult. Fortunately, it's not something I notice. This room is quite dead of reverb at this point since putting up drapes in key locations (well they were doorways anyway so it also blocks light) and tapestries at the first horizontal reflection point. It sounds a little like a black hole in that room there's so little room reverb compared to how it used to be.

Audyssey Matrixed Stereo REW Graph.jpg

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
I`m using flat without App, i think MCR is actived, have a deep in 2k range.

03.jpg

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
I bought the app and tested the feature, with it turned off the dialogue improves a lot, however, I lost the involvement with the bass, so I left it active and was happy to be able to test it.

D Bone

D Bone

Audioholic Intern
MRC is not on/activated on the Flat curve, regardless of using the AVR or the app for calibrating.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis