Audyssey Editor App- With Screenshots!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
BTW, can anyone tell me where I can setup a signature on this forum? I’ve looked everywhere I could think of.
Just Click on your user name, and you will find the word Signature for editing etc.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Rearranged furniture and scooted everything a li'l closer. That means I get to do this all over again... sigh. At least I can save the old calibration files if I put things back tho!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Aaannd my tablet froze up while setting up so I had to reboot it while App screen was still up on my receiver. Had to shut it down too. Now the app won't communicate with the receiver. Trying a soft reset as I type...

And it worked! Nice.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, this has happened almost every time I've used the app. I upload the file to my avr and Audyssey defaults to the "Reference" setting. Works as it should until I switch to "Flat". I get nothing. No audio at all. Zero, zip, nada. All other XT32 settings work except for flat. I monkey around in the editor a bit, resend the file, do this a couple of times and then outta nowhere it works with the "Flat" setting now.

I've always managed to fumble it into working before so I never really brought it up, but damnit. I just had to re-upload the same damn file 5 times before it worked right. Shouldn't be this buggy at this stage in its development, imo. I have an older, but still current tablet so maybe there's some fuckery afoot there too. It's a reliable tablet tho, no issues otherwise.

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
Okay, this has happened almost every time I've used the app. I upload the file to my avr and Audyssey defaults to the "Reference" setting. Works as it should until I switch to "Flat". I get nothing. No audio at all. Zero, zip, nada. All other XT32 settings work except for flat. I monkey around in the editor a bit, resend the file, do this a couple of times and then outta nowhere it works with the "Flat" setting now.

I've always managed to fumble it into working before so I never really brought it up, but damnit. I just had to re-upload the same damn file 5 times before it worked right. Shouldn't be this buggy at this stage in its development, imo. I have an older, but still current tablet so maybe there's some fuckery afoot there too. It's a reliable tablet tho, no issues otherwise.
I’ve not had any issues with the Audyssey app on my iPhone 11 Pro or iPad Pro 11. Both are running the latest version of iOS.

What kind of tablet are you using?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@Pogre I haven't had quite that problem, but I have had to futz between the Marantz setup screen and the marantz AVR app to get Flat to lock in. Usually once I check it in both places, I'm good to go. Had the same ha[[en on many occasions when I used to play around with the Subwoofer adjustment feature in the Audio Setup... It would work sometimes through the app, but never consistently and would require playing wiith both the AVR and App setting.
That said, thus far, I've had little issue with the Audyssey app not communicating properly with the AVR. Yes, it does protest somewhat, but not quite like what you just described.
I will add though, that working with the Aud App is an exercise in perseverance. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre I haven't had quite that problem, but I have had to futz between the Marantz setup screen and the marantz AVR app to get Flat to lock in. Usually once I check it in both places, I'm good to go. Had the same ha[[en on many occasions when I used to play around with the Subwoofer adjustment feature in the Audio Setup... It would work sometimes through the app, but never consistently and would require playing wiith both the AVR and App setting.
That said, thus far, I've had little issue with the Audyssey app not communicating properly with the AVR. Yes, it does protest somewhat, but not quite like what you just described.
I will add though, that working with the Aud App is an exercise in perseverance. ;)
I just haven't found the right place to futz yet I think, lol. I did literally re-upload the same file 5 times til flat worked.

@John Galt I have a Samsung Galaxy pro 12.2.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Pogre, you got any tips/hints/summaries from these 400+ posts about the Audyssey app for me?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, I need more practice. Patience. I keep having somewhat buggy experiences. When I upload tweaks they don't always seem to work and I upload multiple times. I think having the Mini has made me a little lazy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I went to the SVS site and started a live chat, asking about splitting the LFE signal between my subs and the bass sections of my towers. They had me send an email to support describing my issues and Ed Mullen himself replied! I sent a few graphs also. He looked at them and agreed that there's a big null with the towers by themselves and we need to get that straightened out first, if possible, before doing anything else.

Well I whole heartedly agree! He asked if I could provide a floorplan and a few specific sweeps so we can zero in on it. I'm gonna work on that this weekend. I'm getting kinda excited now, having Ed on the case with me.

Anyone have some suggestions for me to draw up my floorplan? A website or app or something I can punch physical measurements into? Otherwise I'm gonna have to either draw it by hand or dig through a ton of old files to find our original paperwork.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So I went to the SVS site and started a live chat, asking about splitting the LFE signal between my subs and the bass sections of my towers. They had me send an email to support describing my issues and Ed Mullen himself replied! I sent a few graphs also. He looked at them and agreed that there's a big null with the towers by themselves and we need to get that straightened out first, if possible, before doing anything else.

Well I whole heartedly agree! He asked if I could provide a floorplan and a few specific sweeps so we can zero in on it. I'm gonna work on that this weekend. I'm getting kinda excited now, having Ed on the case with me.

Anyone have some suggestions for me to draw up my floorplan? A website or app or something I can punch physical measurements into? Otherwise I'm gonna have to either draw it by hand or dig through a ton of old files to find our original paperwork.
I had one at one time. I think it was called 3D home. Maybe?
The last time I needed to “measure every inch”(for nothing) I just printed some graph paper and went to town with a pencil. Crude but effective. Ed is really nice to work with. Really interested in what you guys find out.
Pneuma. On. Now.

glassetcher

glassetcher

Audiophyte
In the recent video,
Audyssey Room Correction Performance Tips for Your Denon/Marantz Receiver
Gene and Theo said the proper way to set speaker levels is to play external pink noise, not the pink noise generated by the AVR. When I go to the speaker setup on my Denon 4300 it seems the only option is to play the AVR pink noise. How do I play an external pink noise file thru each speaker independently?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
In the recent video,
Audyssey Room Correction Performance Tips for Your Denon/Marantz Receiver
Gene and Theo said the proper way to set speaker levels is to play external pink noise, not the pink noise generated by the AVR. When I go to the speaker setup on my Denon 4300 it seems the only option is to play the AVR pink noise. How do I play an external pink noise file thru each speaker independently?
You can find them on calibration discs for setting up your tv most have home theater setup tracks on them like the old sound and vision calibration disc or the current Spears & Munsil 4 K setup disc or there are discs you can order on the net . I personally think it’s better to use a disc on your Blu-ray others might not think so .

glassetcher

glassetcher

Audiophyte
You can find them on calibration discs for setting up your tv most have home theater setup tracks on them like the old sound and vision calibration disc or the current Spears & Munsil 4 K setup disc or there are discs you can order on the net . I personally think it’s better to use a disc on your Blu-ray others might not think so .
Mark, thanks for getting back to me. I guess I'm surprised they didn't mention you need a separate disc to do that. Since Theo referenced a download for a pink noise file it seemed he implied that you could somehow play that file on each individual speaker to get the desired results. Did I understand that wrong?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Mark, thanks for getting back to me. I guess I'm surprised they didn't mention you need a separate disc to do that. Since Theo referenced a download for a pink noise file it seemed he implied that you could somehow play that file on each individual speaker to get the desired results. Did I understand that wrong?
In my experience, I would trust Audyssey and only use pink noise to double check and make sure there is nothing wrong during the auto setup process. If your manual check with pink noise show a difference of a couple dB, as long as the results are consistent among the channels, just leave it alone and don't make any adjustments. The Audyssey mic has good accuracy as it was calibrated specifically for the application.

I also would trust the AVR generated pink noise more unless the one you have on a disc or download is from a credible source.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
In my experience, I would trust Audyssey and only use pink noise to double check and make sure there is nothing wrong during the auto setup process. If your manual check with pink noise show a difference of a couple dB, as long as the results are consistent among the channels, just leave it alone and don't make any adjustments. The Audyssey mic has good accuracy as it was calibrated specifically for the application.

I also would trust the AVR generated pink noise more unless the one you have on a disc or download is from a credible source.
While I agree that most applications or home setups require only the test tones in the avr I have also found some different results useing different source tests on disc from Spears & Munsil and Sterophile has a nice test disc for several applications. THX used to have a really good setup disc I’ve got one that is usable from 5.1 to 7.1 I’ve found when calibration is done with this it runs the surrounds a little hotter than the onboard automated calibration in my Yamaha. Iam not really saying to not trust the onboard test tones just merely letting him know that there is more options on how to calibrate his setup .

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
While I agree that most applications or home setups require only the test tones in the avr I have also found some different results useing different source tests on disc from Spears & Munsil and Sterophile has a nice test disc for several applications. THX used to have a really good setup disc I’ve got one that is usable from 5.1 to 7.1 I’ve found when calibration is done with this it runs the surrounds a little hotter than the onboard automated calibration in my Yamaha. Iam not really saying to not trust the onboard test tones just merely letting him know that there is more options on how to calibrate his setup .
My point is more about consistency, Audyssey/Denon/Marantz design the system as a whole, and Audyssey would configure the filter set based on measurements it collected from the Mic/room/speakers/placements. So if you change one variable, the results will no longer be optimum, though I would say any such difference would not be audible. So why waste the time, that's about it.. I respect Gene and Theo, but I highly doubt they have spent as much time on playing around with Audyssey and REW like some of us users so they may not have the practical experience that we have.:)

Also, it is the end results that count, people like me, and @Pogre managed to get our in-room response to within +/- a couple dB from 20-120 Hz without smoothing without using anything other than the stock mic and run Audyssey following instructions, though we did use the App to do some fine tuning after. Check out more curves we, and others have posted in the Audyssey editor app user thread if you are interested and you are welcome to post your results for comparison and exchange ideas for improvements.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I’ve never used a download for test tones that I wouldn’t trust as much as a physical copy from a reputable company several years back they used to have THX calibration tones included on some movies when compared to an actual THX set up disc they are pretty much the same all Iam saying is try out different ways to calibrate your setup some results you may like better some not there’s manual setups on these units for a reason. It never hurts to try something new .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My point is more about consistency, Audyssey/Denon/Marantz design the system as a whole, and Audyssey would configure the filter set based on measurements it collected from the Mic/room/speakers/placements. So if you change one variable, the results will no longer be optimum, though I would say any such difference would not be audible. So why waste the time, that's about it.. I respect Gene and Theo, but I highly doubt they have spent as much time on playing around with Audyssey and REW like some of us users so they may not have the practical experience that we have.:)

Also, it is the end results that count, people like me, and @Pogre managed to get our in-room response to within +/- a couple dB from 20-120 Hz without smoothing without using anything other than the stock mic and run Audyssey following instructions, though we did use the App to do some fine tuning after. Check out more curves we, and others have posted in the Audyssey editor app user thread if you are interested and you are welcome to post your results for comparison and exchange ideas for improvements.
It's been my experience that if you take care and time with your measurements that Audyssey does a really good job. Levels and distances are just something I don't put a whole lot of energy into. I've found Audyssey does a really good job there so I don't even see a need to "double check". In fact distance settings have more to do in the time domain than actual distance and I trust MultEQ there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis