Audyssey Editor App- With Screenshots!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG, I can retake measurements with Audyssey and not use the app if that's better. I assumed I would get the same results either way. Like I said, I didn't do a bunch of tweaking or anything. I just turned off midrange compensation and uploaded the otherwise virgin file.

I know enough now to take repeated measurements in both stereo and 5.1. I know how to do a full range sweep and how to isolate frequencies for smaller sweeps.
I don't have the app and my AV8801 is not compatible with the app so I have to rely on users like you to tell me how it well it works. So I guess you connect the Audyssey mic to the phone right?

It would be great if you can do a comparison of using the AVR to run Audyssey vs using the phone/tablet. I suppose you will then need to run Audyssey without using the app, then use the Umik-1 and REW to do a couple of sweeps. Then run Audyssey again using the app this time and plot the same REW graphs again after, obviously in both cases put the Audyssey mic in the same location.

I know this will take a lot of your time but doing for your main listening position will be sufficient. If you don't want to be bothered, I understand. You have done a lot already.

By the way, those REW graphs show Audyssey did do a pretty good job for you. If you want it to look as good as those published on AV magazines, try using 1/12 smoothing. I think 1/24 smoothing is reasonable enough.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What kind of help? Did you click on the tab Mic/Meter to see if it found the cal file?
I just read your posts above and I guess I did pretty well. Thank you. I figured out most of that on my own... well, with some help from you and a few links (thank you for that as well :)). I still felt way in over my head. I didn't even know if I took the measurements properly. I played with axis settings and got stuff to look like pics I've seen, but I dont understand most of it beyond the spl part. I'm just looking for some feedback on my results in the hopes of understanding it all better.

When I take the measurements using the app I plug the Audyssey mic into the avr. The tablet is just basically a controller. It goes through all 8 measurements then uploads the files to my tablet. I can save multiple files on it and upload any one of them to the 6011. All those screenshots at the start of this thread are from my tablet as I took measurements.

I've taken 4 measurements with it and they were all very consistent. I didn't notice any appreciable difference at all. I'm confident it's as accurate as taking them from the receiver's menu.

*Edit: The screenshots at the beginning are the results. I do have screenshots I took while taking measurements too if you'd like to see them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, I haven't figured out smoothing yet. I don't even know what it is. :confused:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks again PENG. I already have the 2nd PDF. The first one you linked I haven't seen, and it is a little more dumbed down. I'm gonna read through it right now.

You said Audyssey did a pretty good job? Room for improvement still though I assume. I'm not gonna do anything yet, I'm just curious. I unplugged my fridge and turned the ac off for the sweep. The noise floor was around -35 in the room when I took it.

The waterfall graph I thought didn't look so good, but I don't fully understand it either. Something to do with the length of the echo? I have a lot to absorb.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks again PENG. I already have the 2nd PDF. The first one you linked I haven't seen, and it is a little more dumbed down. I'm gonna read through it right now.

You said Audyssey did a pretty good job? Room for improvement still though I assume. I'm not gonna do anything yet, I'm just curious. I unplugged my fridge and turned the ac off for the sweep. The noise floor was around -35 in the room when I took it.

The waterfall graph I thought didn't look so good, but I don't fully understand it either. Something to do with the length of the echo? I have a lot to absorb.
If you have not tried fine tuning the dips and peaks with the app editor then I would say there is room for improvements for sure. After all, that's what the app is supposed to do.

I didn't pay attention to the waterfall and impulse response graphs in the beginning. It may be better if you focus on mastering the basics first. Thanks to the author John Mulcahy, REW is an amazing free software. That's why I did make a donation to the download site, after using it for a while.:)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you have not tried fine tuning the dips and peaks with the app editor then I would say there is room for improvements for sure. After all, that's what the app is supposed to do.

I didn't pay attention to the waterfall and impulse response graphs in the beginning. It may be better if you focus on mastering the basics first. Thanks to the author John Mulcahy, REW is an amazing free software. That's why I did make a donation to the download site, after using it for a while.:)
I haven't tried fine tuning anything yet. I wanna know what I'm doing first. I think I have the measurement process down. It's actually a lot easier and faster than taking Audyssey measurements once everything is calibrated and talking to each other.

I'm gonna take 2 more Audyssey measurements. One without the app and one with all room correction and eq turned off. I'll do some more sub sweeps and try a few full range sweeps of the 3 different files to see how that compensation shows up.

*Edit: I think I'm just gonna keep the MiniDSP. I'm pretty sure I'd end up buying one sometime down the road eventually anyway. I wanna see how far I can get with the editor app first. I haven't even opened the box for the mini.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't tried fine tuning anything yet. I wanna know what I'm doing first. I think I have the measurement process down. It's actually a lot easier and faster than taking Audyssey measurements once everything is calibrated and talking to each other.

I'm gonna take 2 more Audyssey measurements. One without the app and one with all room correction and eq turned off. I'll do some more sub sweeps and try a few full range sweeps of the 3 different files to see how that compensation shows up.

*Edit: I think I'm just gonna keep the MiniDSP. I'm pretty sure I'd end up buying one sometime down the road eventually anyway. I wanna see how far I can get with the editor app first. I haven't even opened the box for the mini.
I am sure the minidsp will fun to play with, just know that you shouldn't use both. If you use minidsp then turn Audyssey off.

I am also interested in the minidsp for one of my 2ch system.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am sure the minidsp will fun to play with, just know that you shouldn't use both. If you use minidsp then turn Audyssey off.

I am also interested in the minidsp for one of my 2ch system.
Curious peng. I've always followed the idea of use the minidsp(or other EQ) first and then let audyssey do its thing as audyssey will have less to do. Not saying you're wrong at all, just curious.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Curious peng. I've always followed the idea of use the minidsp(or other EQ) first and then let audyssey do its thing as audyssey will have less to do. Not saying you're wrong at all, just curious.
It's just my opinion, not a right or wrong thing really. Audyssey does its thing in both frequency and time domain. Comparable ones are Dirac Live, Anthem ARC and a few others. I am skeptical about REW based minidsp can do as good a job. There is a minidsp that comes with Dirac Live, that's the one I am considering getting for one of my 2ch system.

Technically and logically speaking, I agree with you that if you EQ it with the basic minidsp first, then Audyssey will have less to do. In practice though, I am not sure if Audyssey would still end up roughly in the same place either way. Besides, the whole point of the Editor app is that it allows the user to "edit" (in other words, sort of manual EQ adjustments) after Audyssey does its auto setup. So with the Editor app now available, why would one need minidsp/REW? Again, just my opinion.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This one is so much easier to follow. It literally takes you through every step. Up to and including calibrating the mic before even installing rew. Screenshots, step by step, it's nice. I started on page 1 and am slowly making my way through it. Been kinda busy around the house lately so I haven't had a lot of time to just sit, lol.
Please read every single word from beginning to end. The you will become our REW expert consultant.:D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Please read every single word from beginning to end. The you will become our REW expert consultant.:D
Well, I took some more measurements and this time with confidence knowing I have it all set up correctly. I took 4 different sweeps just a little bit ago. 2 sub sweeps, one with room correction on and one with it off. Same with my 2 main speakers (measured both at the same time).

I'll post up some results here in a few.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, here's a SPL chart vc with Audyssey XT23 and Dynamic EQ turned off, and the second one is with XT32 and DEQ turned on. I prefer flat over reference.
SPL Full Range No EQ.jpg

SPL Full Range EQ.jpg

I overlayed the sub and main speakers on the same graph. Now for a couple more...

Main Speakers Overlay.jpg

Sub Sweep Overlay.jpg

Top is a full sweep with both mains selected. Bottom one is just subs. This time I overlayed eq on and off in both.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, here's a SPL chart vc with Audyssey XT23 and Dynamic EQ turned off, and the second one is with XT32 and DEQ turned on. I prefer flat over reference.
View attachment 21268
View attachment 21269

I overlayed the sub and main speakers on the same graph. Now for a couple more...

View attachment 21270
View attachment 21271

Top is a full sweep with both mains selected. Bottom one is just subs. This time I overlayed eq on and off in both.
Thanks again, do you have one with DEQ off?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks again, do you have one with DEQ off?
No I don't. I did think of it after I put the mic away and it's getting kinda late. I'll do one first thing in the morning. Those sweeps were taken with a fresh Audyssey calibration not using the app. I'll upload one from the app tomorrow (which I also took this morning) and take some measurements of that as well. Then maybe you could make some suggestions as to tweaks or point some stuff out for me that would be awesome. I'll make some adjustments using the app, upload that, then take some more measurements.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Change the graph limits for vertical. Set the lower to 45. Looks like the upper is 105. Also try 1/6 smoothing. Iirc, that is fairly close to how humans hear. Try sweeping from 10hz to 200. It looks like your subs roll off higher than expected. I'd really like to see that at 10-200 and 45 to 105. Oh yeah. Having fun yet?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Change the graph limits for vertical. Set the lower to 45. Looks like the upper is 105. Also try 1/6 smoothing. Iirc, that is fairly close to how humans hear. Try sweeping from 10hz to 200. It looks like your subs roll off higher than expected. I'd really like to see that at 10-200 and 45 to 105. Oh yeah. Having fun yet?
It's not roll off, he had DEQ on so it boosted the low frequencies by design. With DEQ off, or if he turns the volume up to reference level, the graph should look much flatter.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's just my opinion, not a right or wrong thing really. Audyssey does its thing in both frequency and time domain. Comparable ones are Dirac Live, Anthem ARC and a few others. I am skeptical about REW based minidsp can do as good a job. There is a minidsp that comes with Dirac Live, that's the one I am considering getting for one of my 2ch system.

Technically and logically speaking, I agree with you that if you EQ it with the basic minidsp first, then Audyssey will have less to do. In practice though, I am not sure if Audyssey would still end up roughly in the same place either way. Besides, the whole point of the Editor app is that it allows the user to "edit" (in other words, sort of manual EQ adjustments) after Audyssey does its auto setup. So with the Editor app now available, why would one need minidsp/REW? Again, just my opinion.
You raise a good question for which I've thought about very little. Would audyssey arrive at the same result if not eq'd first? I'm sure it's documented but I don't recall. I also wonder about the audyssey app and how granular it is, although I admit to knowing wry little about it. It seems like it would be excellent. I personally think the app doesn't render minidsp obsolete since I think greater control of the low end can be taken with minidsp. Again, I admit to little knowledge of the audyssey app. Also with legacy systems, the app is useless. Of course pogre is up to date!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis