Audyssey Editor App- With Screenshots!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just ran Audyssey through the app editor (after already having run it on setup o_O) and there were some hiccups, both by me and the app itself. However, after some minor frustration and rebooting once or twice I got it done and got some pretty good screenies of my measurements.

Since I am a total newb when it comes to eq and room correction I'm hoping you guys can take a look at what I have so I can get some insight and maybe even suggestions. I don't have a mic and haven't downloaded REW so I'm assuming tweaking it now might not work out so well.

I might have to put all these in a couple of posts. Here goes...
Screenshot_2017-06-02-20-26-18-1024x640.png
Screenshot_2017-06-02-20-26-36-1024x640.png
Screenshot_2017-06-02-20-28-05-1024x640.png
Screenshot_2017-06-02-20-28-13-1024x640.png
Screenshot_2017-06-02-20-28-21-1024x640.png
Screenshot_2017-06-02-20-28-33-1024x640.png
Screenshot_2017-06-02-20-28-40-1024x640.png
Screenshot_2017-06-02-20-29-23-1024x640.png
Screenshot_2017-06-02-20-29-37-1024x640.png
Screenshot_2017-06-02-20-29-47-1024x640.png

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The hiccups. Of course it had trouble finding the receiver. One time "try again" worked and the second time I rebooted my tablet and the receiver. After I did that it found the SR6011 pretty quick and I connected it up. One time the stupid bird clock we have tweeted 8 o'clock at me in the middle of a measurement. I hit cancel like I would with the remote and instead of taking me back a step it made me start from the beginning. It was the 7th measurement too. :mad:

So it was a little buggy at first and me making stupid mistakes forcing me to start over didn't help much either.
I haven't messed with anything as far as editing goes, but it looks like it's fun!

*Edit: It looks like my room is a complete mess before eq'ing if I'm reading the before and after correctly. My bass is unquestionably better than before. This is nice!

**Edit: What's up with the dip at ~2500hz? Is that intentional?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The hiccups. Of course it had trouble finding the receiver. One time "try again" worked and the second time I rebooted my tablet and the receiver. After I did that it found the SR6011 pretty quick and I connected it up. One time the stupid bird clock we have tweeted 8 o'clock at me in the middle of a measurement. I hit cancel like I would with the remote and instead of taking me back a step it made me start from the beginning. It was the 7th measurement too. :mad:

So it was a little buggy at first and me making stupid mistakes forcing me to start over didn't help much either.
I haven't messed with anything as far as editing goes, but it looks like it's fun!

*Edit: It looks like my room is a complete mess before eq'ing if I'm reading the before and after correctly. My bass is unquestionably better than before. This is nice!

I'd not put much into the graphic pictures provided....get your own mic and REW if you want to really take and record measurements. Audyssey graphic representations simply aren't accurate measurements to go by....IMO.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

You can't do much about the dips other than changing placement to minimize them. It is the peaks that you need to be more concerned about. Even placing a few inches to say the left or the right can make a significant change in having less peaks and dips. I agree it is best to get a CSL UMik 1 and a miniDSP HD if you really want to measure your frequency response. It is the response below 200 hz that is usually the most problematic. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As HD and Phil said, you need to get that Umik Mic and REW quick if you want to have more fun and satisfaction, and focus more on 200 Hz and below. If REW shows a dip in the mid range (around 2K), I believe the App allows you to disable the mid range compensation. After that run REW again to see if the dip gets better. You may prefer to keep the dip (Audyssey thinks a lot of people need that dip), or you may think it makes no difference, or you may prefer no such dip.

I am quite sure REW will confirm Audyssey in fact work well in the 20-200 Hz range, but it is likely that, guided by REW, you will want to take advantage of the App to do some editing for even smoothing response.

It seems to me a lot of people don't like to see Audyssey setting their subs a few dB below the mains, but Audyssey aims for flat response in the bass region so it is just doing the job it's design to do. I like it flat, but for movies even me, I had to manually increase the sub levels by 2 to 3 dB.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As HD and Phil said, you need to get that Umik Mic and REW quick if you want to have more fun and satisfaction, and focus more on 200 Hz and below. If REW shows a dip in the mid range (around 2K), I believe the App allows you to disable the mid range compensation. After that run REW again to see if the dip gets better. You may prefer to keep the dip (Audyssey thinks a lot of people need that dip), or you may think it makes no difference, or you may prefer no such dip.

I am quite sure REW will confirm Audyssey in fact work well in the 20-200 Hz range, but it is likely that, guided by REW, you will want to take advantage of the App to do some editing for even smoothing response.

It seems to me a lot of people don't like to see Audyssey setting their subs a few dB below the mains, but Audyssey aims for flat response in the bass region so it is just doing the job it's design to do. I like it flat, but for movies even me, I had to manually increase the sub levels by 2 to 3 dB.
I just placed my order for the combo kit.

I'm just goofing around and haven't uploaded this yet. Why wouldn't a guy tweak the curve to make it flatter?
Screenshot_2017-06-05-15-54-36-1024x640.png

Green is the original curve. Red is my adjustment (probably blindingly obvious :p). I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Protecting speakers, amp or a perception thing? Like I said, I'm just goofing with it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just placed my order for the combo kit.

I'm just goofing around and haven't uploaded this yet. Why wouldn't a guy tweak the curve to make it flatter? View attachment 21141

Green is the original curve. Red is my adjustment (probably blindingly obvious :p). I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Protecting speakers, amp or a perception thing? Like I said, I'm just goofing with it.
Imo with the app, Audyssey xt32 subeq ht, and umik Mic are all you need. Why spend so much on minidsp?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Imo with the app, Audyssey xt32 subeq ht, and umik Mic are all you need. Why spend so much on minidsp?
Because a bunch of people suggested it..?

I made a few posts about it in this thread. You're the first one to tell me it's not necessary.

*Edit: I could probably cancel it still. I really would rather not buy the mini if it's not necessary. Also I mixed my threads up. I mentioned it a few times in my receiver thread.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Because a bunch of people suggested it..?

I made a few posts about it in this thread. You're the first one to tell me it's not necessary.

*Edit: I could probably cancel it still. I really would rather not buy the mini if it's not necessary. Also I mixed my threads up. I mentioned it a few times in my receiver thread.
I suggest you cancel it first and just order the us$75 umik-1 for now. Then you can use the Audyssey editor app to fine tune the results guided by REW that is free.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I contacted the seller and he said no problem to a partial return. I'll get my money back when he receives the mini back.

I have 4 measurement profiles saved now. I'm getting more familiar with the app now. I can tweak, save and upload multiple files to my receiver. As far as I can tell, I could save at least 20 different profiles and upload any one of them. The cool factor is starting to kick in for me now with this app. Me likey.

Screenshot_2017-06-06-09-41-53-1024x640.png

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I contacted the seller and he said no problem to a partial return. I'll get my money back when he receives the mini back.

I have 4 measurement profiles saved now. I'm getting more familiar with the app now. I can tweak, save and upload multiple files to my receiver. As far as I can tell, I could save at least 20 different profiles and upload any one of them. The cool factor is starting to kick in for me now with this app. Me likey.

View attachment 21145
Now I am beginning to want this app.:D May I suggest you download REW now, read the instruction and get yourself ready to plot some graphs as soon as you receive the Umik-1 MIC.

Here's a good website for REW users:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now I am beginning to want this app.:D May I suggest you download REW now, read the instruction and get yourself ready to plot some graphs as soon as you receive the Umik-1 MIC.

Here's a good website for REW users:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/
Thanks PENG. I actually did download it a couple days ago. I have it up right now. It just updated to a newer version. After it did that it took me to this page. Definitely looks like there's a learning curve. I'm gonna start reading through stuff a little at a time until it gets here.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Loop back connection? What is this sorcery?!? :p

Screenshot_2017-06-07-12-03-51-1280x800.png

For calibrating my sound card, is what he's saying. Connecting an out to an in. I'm assuming I'll have a similar connection on the back of my avr. The video guide at the top of the page Peng linked is pretty good for a newb like me. Instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Loop back connection? What is this sorcery?!? :p

View attachment 21157

For calibrating my sound card, is what he's saying. Connecting an out to an in. I'm assuming I'll have a similar connection on the back of my avr. The video guide at the top of the page Peng linked is pretty good for a newb like me. Instructions are very clear and easy to follow.
I don't know what that is. If it is about using REW with the Umik-1 mic that you have ordered, as long as you use HDMI output you don't need to worry about your sound card. You do need to download the mic cal file.

Calibration file download:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gotcha. Thanks again. If HDMI simplifies everything that's awesome.
I have tried using HDMI (PC sound card not in the chain) as well as headphone jack to analog inputs (internal sound card of PC in the chain) and found very little difference, nothing compared to even moving the mic a few inches. Still, better stick with HDMI unless you enjoy playing around with your laptop/desktop PC's sound card and calibration.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have tried using HDMI (PC sound card not in the chain) as well as headphone jack to analog inputs (internal sound card of PC in the chain) and found very little difference, nothing compared to even moving the mic a few inches. Still, better stick with HDMI unless you enjoy playing around with your laptop/desktop PC's sound card and calibration.
Oh hell naw! I'm all HDMI except for my subs. HDMI is my friend. I love HDMI. :p

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Midrange compensation. You can turn it off by speaker curve in the app. I did. It appears to be a preset 4dB, low Q dip centered at 2k. Not really sure what its purpose is, but I want it flat.

Edit: Article from the man himself is here: https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347863-Midrange-Compensation

I may have to try it with and without this dip.
I did turn the compensation off and I had trouble telling the difference. It's hard to tell because it's not a quick switch back and forth between the 2.

Screenshot_2017-06-08-05-54-30-1920x1200.png

Screenshot_2017-06-08-05-54-02-1920x1200.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis