Audioquest HDMI Audio Rigged Demo Exposed and Addressed in Open Letter

Who do you think is responsible for this deceptive demo?

• Audioquest

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • D-Tronics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both. Let's be real Audioquest had no motivation to end this until they were exposed!

Votes: 36 90.0%

• Total voters
T

Tao1

Audioholic
I am surprised that there is no class action lawsuit over the $1500 cables for 'misrepresentation'. It seems to be a fairly easy case to make using the science behind it (physics and psychology) to completely discredit the claims made by audio quest.

P

Peter Hyatt

Audiophyte
I am new to audiophile world and lack scientific knowledge. I have been learning much over the past year or so and have much to learn. Such products as Beyerdynamic T1, the AK T8 ie and Chord Mojo have been wonderfully enjoyable products. Because of this, I researched getting a high priced USB cable for the DAC and landed here.

I was surprised at the Open Letter and read comments around the internet that accurately reflect the priority of the open letter: moving the argument away from the fraudulent video to emotionally debating cables. In this, the author shows a strong intellect.

I am new to this exciting world. I don't possess an engineer's mind.
But I do know language.

I rely on the author to guide my understanding.

For those interested I sought to learn if the author shows guilty knowledge of the letter.

http://statement-analysis.blogspot.com/2016/06/audioquest-william-e-low-open-letter.html?m=1

Peter Hyatt

www.hyattanalysis.com

G

Guakus

Audiophyte
I saw this thread while I was doing some research and I feel that there are some fundamental misunderstandings about HDMI and specifically Audioquest.

First of all, under no circumstances should anyone assume Audioquest is following the HDMI specification for cable. They are NOT and they make no secret that they are not following spec. HDMI specifications for cables are the MINIMUM requirement needed to achieve the specification. Perfect example, show me where in HDMI's specification does it call for the use of Audioquest's DBS system? That's right, it doesn't. Show me where in HDMI's specification it calls for solid conductors to be used? It doesn't. Does HDMI's spec call for silver plating or solid silver conductors? No? Well, then I can say with absolute certainty that Audioquest HDMI cables are not following HDMI specification. Is that such a bad thing? Is that illegal? No, it isn't.

So, with that said, why do we think Audioquest cables will perform the same as cables that DO follow HDMI specification? Audioquest has tried to engineer a cable that out performs the standard requirements for HDMI 2.0. The ability to increase the speed/rate of transfer without dropping packets is improved by better geometry and materials. Also, we all seem to forget that even though these cables are transmitting "digital" data, they are still traveling down a conductive material via electricity and is therefore subject to all the properties and flaws of electrical conductivity and electromagnetism. Then there are the pin outs on the connector. All you have to do is ensure that the data being sent corresponds to the correct pin out. All the translation of the incoming and outgoing data are the responsibility of end route devices such as disk players, amps, and receivers, TVs, etc. If you read the white paper and the history of the revisions of each spec, you learn quickly that cable geometry is probably the single most important feature of HDMI, as there is a loss of audio/video synch, dropouts, errors, frame rate drop, etc when the geometry is inferior. A drop or error of data in a video stream across HDMI will show as discolored squares. Since we are using MPG style of encoding, we know that the data is only going to change in areas that move. That is why those square blocks move across the screen or jump around when errors are present. That data is never going to change, no matter what cable you buy. However, color data and extended color data travel through a different, separate twisted pair. As does inverse data counter to it. If those error or drop out, you lose picture detail and color saturation. Your end point devices have to acquire the data and check it against the inverse data. If there are errors, the system can correct those errors using the inverse data. If the system doesn’t have to work hard to do this, it can free up its resources to other events. The machines that I have seen “testing” these cables do not check for quality. They are only going to ensure that each connected pin transfers the requested data. I have never seen any of these machines test for sustained data rates or average data transfer speeds. We know that the signal in HDMI degrades SIGNIFICANTLY over distance, so this specification of sustained data transfer rates would be exceedingly important. So, really, there hasn’t been a machine or software invented that tests quality. Oddly and yet poetically, the only test of quality in any product…is the human testing it.

So, from a video standpoint, all Audioquest has done is create a cable that ensures a constant clean data flow from one point to another to ensure that the end point devices do not have to work hard to interpret the data. There can and will be improvements in picture detail and color saturation from a poorly designed cheap cable and a well engineered cable. However it will not exceed the source material.

Sound, on the other hand, is a completely DIFFERENT situation. Because you now have data bits that have to be converted to analog in order to be played through your speakers. The ability to replicate the tiniest sound details in a speaker system, requires the cleanest and most controlled electrical signal. HDMI specification does address “quality” in audio. It only addresses synchronization and speed. So, again, Audioquest is breaking from the HDMI specification in order to change or affect the quality of audio in a digital, yet, conductive environment.

Another thing that I think needs to be addressed, is that you have to have a system of components that can take advantage of these “features.” A good analogy would be high rated tires. What is the point of getting tires rated for 180Mph if your car cannot exceed 120Mph? Same with Audioquest cables. There is a point where your system’s performance is capped and having a higher end cable is useless.

I have researched, bought and tested out such cables over the course of nearly 30 years. Good cables make a difference. It starts with the cleanest power and then moves up the chain. It’s not unlike working with ferrite beads. One isn’t really going to do you any good. The more beads you have, the more frequency you can clean and the better the output. Same with cables in your system. Buying one cable, such as just the HDMI cable isn’t as effective as pairing it with a good power cable to that same device. Then tweak it further by connecting it to a power strip that scrubs and cleans the power ahead of time. Then move further into changing your electric socket. You’ll never be able to clean 100%, but narrowing the scope increases the quality of your output.

In finality, if anyone is simply assuming Audioquest’s cables are going to function the same as other cables and that is why they won’t even buy the cables to test, you’re the one missing out for no reason other that stubbornness.

I joined only to make this rant. You can flame me, hate me, ban me, all you want. I said my piece and I stand by it. You can post as many blogs, or videos that you want of counter data. It will never supersede my experience. Even if you believe it is all in my head, that’s fine because the only person who has to live in my head is me. As long as I am happy, that’s what is best.

Peace.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
All that rambling, when the only thing that you needed to write was your last paragraph, in which you admit that your personal experience supersedes counter data.

Go be happy with your cables, but the rest of your post was a total failure to convince anybody but yourself.

G

Guakus

Audiophyte
All that rambling, when the only thing that you needed to write was your last paragraph, in which you admit that your personal experience supersedes counter data.

Go be happy with your cables, but the rest of your post was a total failure to convince anybody but yourself.
I am happy with my cables and all you did was supply your opinion. It is only YOUR opinion that I have convinced no one. You can't know who might lurk and read this and become convinced. I posted for posterity, you posted only to insult.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I am happy with my cables and all you did was supply your opinion. It is only YOUR opinion that I have convinced no one. You can't know who might lurk and read this and become convinced. I posted for posterity, you posted only to insult.
Yes, indeed it was his opinion as your posting is your opinion.
So far you didn't present facts to support anything, just conjectures, speculations, etc.
I guess adjusting the volume control to show differences, is not important.
Has an independent lab demonstrated measured differences enough to be audible? Of course not.

Be happy. Enjoy your cable.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Unlike you, I actually have a degree in EE (well, two, actually).

Unlike you, I had a job in A/V electronics design and testing for nearly two decades.

Unlike you, I know that there exists equipment to test cables.

Unlike you, I have actually used equipment to test HDMI interfaces (bit error rate, eye diagrams) using a variety of cables.

Unlike you, I don't fall for Audioquest's bullsh!t.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, good luck with that. Not too many audiophools lurking here.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I saw this thread while I was doing some research and I feel that there are some fundamental misunderstandings about HDMI and specifically Audioquest.

First of all, under no circumstances should anyone assume Audioquest is following the HDMI specification for cable. They are NOT and they make no secret that they are not following spec. HDMI specifications for cables are the MINIMUM requirement needed to achieve the specification. Perfect example, show me where in HDMI's specification does it call for the use of Audioquest's DBS system? That's right, it doesn't. Show me where in HDMI's specification it calls for solid conductors to be used? It doesn't. Does HDMI's spec call for silver plating or solid silver conductors? No? Well, then I can say with absolute certainty that Audioquest HDMI cables are not following HDMI specification. Is that such a bad thing? Is that illegal? No, it isn't.
Since you mentioned it, how, exactly, does the DBS system work?

The conductor isn't in contact with the others in the cable, there can be no magnetic field to cause induction because there's no electron flow to meet the definition of 'Electric Current' because there's no load or continuous circuit- only a switch, batteries, an LED and wires going to one end but stopping short of being a circuit (which, BTW, would need a load in order to avoid being considered a short-circuit).

Why do Silver conductors need to be plated with more Silver?

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
AudioQuest's cables, like Monster's cables, are overpriced and overhyped for what you get. They are the kings of slick marketing and packaging. For HDMI runs up to 25', a Premium High Speed HDMI cable has been tested and certified to meet all of the HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications. And any cable mfr can submit their cables for testing and certification, which is performed by an Authorized Testing Center (ATC) following protocols designed and implemented by HDMI. org. For runs over 25', an active hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro) is recommended. However, they are expensive. Their cables are tested by an ATC but do not get the certification label (QR label) because active cables can not be certified by an ATC. Cable mfrs appear to have free reign with marketing and claims which further confuses the consumer, and to me is very dubious and misleading.

Y

yodog

Audiophyte
Do you guys think Wireworld cables are a similar type of snake oil BS like Audioquest cables are?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis