Audio file for testing purposes?

J

joshk03

Audioholic
It looks like receivers have come a long way since I hooked up my dad's back around 2002. One thing my dad's had that I thought was incredible was the ability to add a tiny timing delay to the back speakers to account for the speed of sound. The idea was that because you sit closer to your back speakers you need to delay the signal just enough that it didn't arrive at your ears sooner than intended. It actually made a huge difference. Is that still a thing these days? I don't see mention of it. Perhaps it's part of a automatic calibration now?
I have no idea what brand his is.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Both manual and automatic, they label it in most units as "distance".

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Cool. What speakers would you recommend for this?
I'm headed to bed for the night, thanks for the solid advice, lovinthehd!

J

joshk03

Audioholic
I'm looking at floor speakers and satellite speakers right now, I assume it's necessary to have the satellite speakers at the same impedance as the floor speakers in front? Is it a bad idea not to buy a fully matched floor/satellite set?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm looking at floor speakers and satellite speakers right now, I assume it's necessary to have the satellite speakers at the same impedance as the floor speakers in front? Is it a bad idea not to buy a fully matched floor/satellite set?
Why floor speakers particularly? Front three are the most important to match, but I do also like to have a full surround set at least of same model/line from a brand speakers. As far as impedance you just want to make sure the amp/avr can drive them well, avrs are often not a good match for very low impedance (4 and below) speakers, especially the lower end models where they've not used the most robust power supplies; you don't have to have them all with the same nominal impedance rating, tho. Active speakers would generally have sufficient amps designed for their use, tho. Keep in mind an impedance rating for a passive speaker is a nominal rating, but the impedance will vary with frequency, and phase angle can come into play to put more strain on the amp as well, especially if you want to play at high volume levels.

I found this thread
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/floor-standing-speaker-recommendation.110143/
that suggested these
https://www.htd.com/Level-THREE-Tower-Speakers?color=1
and I gotta say, every review reads like a love letter. I'm super tempted.
HTD speakers I've seen good comments on but no personal experience. Lots of us that buy and like our speakers will recommend them ;) For example, I've had good experience with Ascend Acoustics, would and do recommend them. Philharmonic Audio's Affordable Accuracy speakers are also very good (and I've built the kit they're based on, the Dayton BR-1 kit available at parts-express.com), and will build another with the same crossovers forum member Dennis Murphy, who is Philharmonic Audio. Excellent value. Many others out there as well.

Biggest question is what's your budget? What are you aiming at in terms of speakers/subs? What size room are they going to be moved into? Suggest you line up some more info along the lines of my questions and start a new thread with an appropriate title rather than this one....and read some more threads, lots around that will cover some of the questions/angles....

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Why floor speakers particularly?
The two best sounding sets of speakers I have ever listened to where floor standing. I assumed the floor design was part of their success. The long, spacious chamber seemed to be important. At least I thought so.

Biggest question is what's your budget? What are you aiming at in terms of speakers/subs? What size room are they going to be moved into? Suggest you line up some more info along the lines of my questions and start a new thread with an appropriate title rather than this one....and read some more threads, lots around that will cover some of the questions/angles....
$1000 per zone is my goal, and I call the living room one zone. However, the AVR can output a second zone to cover the other rooms in the house, so I guess we can stretch that :)

now questions about my future house are easy, I have that floor plan right next to me along with a lot of eraser shavings :)
But you are right, I've been thinking too this discussion has wandered far from where it started. I'll start a fresh thread.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cabinet type, size and the driver t/s parameters are factors that do come into play when designing a given speaker, particularly for bass frequencies. Bookshelf speakers or standmounts can do quite well with subs, and often floor standers still need subs depending on your room and extension/spl goals.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Sorry to have disappeared on the conversation, but tonight my daughter has been tortured with gas pains and we are alone. I need to keep her company so she doesn't toss and turn and hit her head. Hopefully she will be asleep in an hour. I have a new thread half-started.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No worries..hope she feels better soon

Last edited:
DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Is there a audio clip somewhere that is essentially a perfect master and covers the whole spectrum? Something that can help make my system's reproduction flaws more dramatic for troubleshooting?
When I want to show or test my system I crank up Imogen Heap song title Aha ... I think it covers most of the highs and lows of the audio spectrum and then to wake up the below 50hz I always crank Crystal Method song title Double Down Under ... These two should cover the audio spectrum and clear any cats out of the room

J

joshk03

Audioholic
I will crank them both up tomorrow when nobody is sleeping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis