Audio file for testing purposes?

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Is there a audio clip somewhere that is essentially a perfect master and covers the whole spectrum? Something that can help make my system's reproduction flaws more dramatic for troubleshooting?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There is no one single recording that can do all of that. If you want to trouble shoot, use measurements instead of individual pieces of music.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Thanks. That sounds like 'sound' advice :)
I think my favorite artists might have an issue with the "volume wars" topic. But perhaps my speakers just suck.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
There is no one single recording that can do all of that. If you want to trouble shoot, use measurements instead of individual pieces of music.
if you take some time with some free software like REW, you can visually see via the graphs it creates what your speakers/system are pumping in to the room. The program sweeps through the lowest to the highest frequencies and graphs what it hears. its a very quick and fairly painless way to see how good your stuff is.

If your speakers suck, there's no hiding it. If they have a chance, it will show you. Shadyj is a good tutor for how to set it up and run it. I started there a year or so ago and its made a world of difference. Its objective instead of subjective. It isn't the end all and cure all for audio, but you can learn a lot with a modest effort.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
if you take some time with some free software like REW, you can visually see via the graphs it creates what your speakers/system are pumping in to the room. The program sweeps through the lowest to the highest frequencies and graphs what it hears. its a very quick and fairly painless way to see how good your stuff is.

If your speakers suck, there's no hiding it. If they have a chance, it will show you. Shadyj is a good tutor for how to set it up and run it. I started there a year or so ago and its made a world of difference. Its objective instead of subjective. It isn't the end all and cure all for audio, but you can learn a lot with a modest effort.
Good point Buck. It is indeed a powerful tool.

On a more subjective level, this website is also full of useful tools, and is fun.
https://www.audiocheck.net/

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. That sounds like 'sound' advice :)
I think my favorite artists might have an issue with the "volume wars" topic. But perhaps my speakers just suck.
What is your system in terms of speakers, amplification, setup, spl needs etc? Fair amount of experience here to draw on for guidance but need information....

If you really want to dig into the loudness wars might start here http://dynamicrangeday.co.uk/about/

J

joshk03

Audioholic
REW does look cool. I ran it uncalibrated with my condenser mic, I don't understand much of REW, but I can see it is powerful. Too bad the hardware you need costs more than my speakers :(

What is your system in terms of speakers, amplification, setup, spl needs etc? Fair amount of experience here to draw on for guidance but need information....
I have a $180 "Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II" connected to my Laptop with Bluetooth. I know it's not ideal, but HP puts such shitty speakers in their laptops these days I was desperate when I bought it.
I was playing the FLACs I ripped from my Nickelback CDs yesterday and turned it up to a nice level, but noticed the clarity was poor.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have a “big” sound link that was gifted to me. It has surprising(not awesome)low end for its size but fidelity is not great.
I would recommend selling the SL and getting something like this. Many variations, but they will give you a nice stereo presentation as well as good fidelity. If you really want to hear Daniel Adair’s kick drums though, you’ll need a sub.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332610006622
Truth be told, most desktop pc speakers connected with a 3.5mm to your headphone jack will be an upgrade.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Truth be told though, when I am working at my computer I don't like good bass, like from a sub. I find the audio far more distracting when it has punch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
REW does look cool. I ran it uncalibrated with my condenser mic, I don't understand much of REW, but I can see it is powerful. Too bad the hardware you need costs more than my speakers :(

I have a $180 "Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II" connected to my Laptop with Bluetooth. I know it's not ideal, but HP puts such shitty speakers in their laptops these days I was desperate when I bought it.
I was playing the FLACs I ripped from my Nickelback CDs yesterday and turned it up to a nice level, but noticed the clarity was poor.
I'd say your issue is more with the quality of the speaker but not worth buying measuring tools :) Some like the Bose sound, "no highs no lows it must be Bose" is not without truth. If that's what you like....and BT probably doesn't help except for convenience. Now about Nickelback... :)

ps You might just run a youtube test tone type file and see at what frequencies your speaker doesn't respond....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh don't get me wrong, I've a couple Nickelback albums :) Not that I listen to them much any more....kinda got my fill when they got a little too much radio play years back. Maybe I'll pop one on next tho ;)

J

joshk03

Audioholic
So what is up with the REW data I collected, the line gets so wild, especially on the right.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know with no supporting details as to what you did and what you posted exactly....

J

joshk03

Audioholic
I collected bad data, that's what I did :p
I just put the U37 mic in place of my head and ran the REW SPL test through the Bose. I saved that and repeated with the laptop speakers. Then I displayed them together. I expected a much smoother line from each. I don't really understand why it's not smooth.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I collected bad data, that's what I did :p
I just put the U37 mic in place of my head and ran the REW SPL test through the Bose. I saved that and repeated with the laptop speakers. Then I displayed them together. I expected a much smoother line from each. I don't really understand why it's not smooth.
Why would it be smooth? What smoothing did you choose for display? None I expect. Try this https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/audio-measurements

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Yea maybe I should head over there. I would be interested in renting the hardware for REW, maybe they have a set.
Thanks for the help guys.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis