Audio drop outs with Denon 6700 and net streaming ATV4K

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So not sure if this is the proper forum, but has anyone else experienced audio drops/distortion with net streaming , more specifically with NETFLIX?

I have all SVS Ultra speakers and the Denon 6700 with Apple TV 4K directly connected to internet (hard wired)

Thanks

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
Not here but maybe try a restart on the appletv if thats the source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Go into the AppleTV menu and test the network- If that's OK, check with NetFlix to find out if the traffic on those programs is so high that this might be causing the problem.

Did you connect the AppleTV to the AVR or the TV? If the ATV is connected to the TV, why? If you're using eArc, how long is the HDMI cable and how new is it (meaning, is it current technology?)?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've seen other complaints about ATV issues lately, affecting different platforms. Seems to be a thing right now.

Have you tried going direct to the TV instead of through the Denon just to assess the issue?

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
reboot the atv

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Go into the AppleTV menu and test the network- If that's OK, check with NetFlix to find out if the traffic on those programs is so high that this might be causing the problem.

Did you connect the AppleTV to the AVR or the TV? If the ATV is connected to the TV, why? If you're using eArc, how long is the HDMI cable and how new is it (meaning, is it current technology?)?
ATV to Denon
One cable from Denon to TV

Very current high quality Belkin cable - 6 feet long

Thanks

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I've seen other complaints about ATV issues lately, affecting different platforms. Seems to be a thing right now.

Have you tried going direct to the TV instead of through the Denon just to assess the issue?
No not yet

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic

Do you mean for testing purposes only?

because for obvious reasons that wouldn't be an ideal watching experience.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
So not sure if this is the proper forum, but has anyone else experienced audio drops/distortion with net streaming , more specifically with NETFLIX?

I have all SVS Ultra speakers and the Denon 6700 with Apple TV 4K directly connected to internet (hard wired)

Thanks

Well known issue with gen2 of Apple TV 4K. Not an issue if you kept your gen1 version. I had to switch back to my gen1 to get relief. Not a single issue since. AVR/AVP brand agnostic as well as streaming service agnostic. Happens on all services when using atmos streams. If you read the post you will see nothing gives lasting relief other than removal of gen2 Apple TV 4K.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
i guess im one of the lucky ones .. no issues

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Do you mean for testing purposes only?

because for obvious reasons that wouldn't be an ideal watching experience.
Yes.
If you continue to have the same issue, you know it is not the Denon specifically.
If you do not experience drop outs, it still does not mean it is the Denon at fault.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic

Well known issue with gen2 of Apple TV 4K. Not an issue if you kept your gen1 version. I had to switch back to my gen1 to get relief. Not a single issue since. AVR/AVP brand agnostic as well as streaming service agnostic. Happens on all services when using atmos streams. If you read the post you will see nothing gives lasting relief other than removal of gen2 Apple TV 4K.
Crap really?

I don't have a first gen!

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Besides changing to a 1st Gen, are there setting that I can change to make it work?
Perhaps disable Dolby Atmos?

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
there's nothing to update
I mean its current version as of this week

Last edited:
E

enrique

Full Audioholic
just so happens doing an update on my 1st gen 4k Atv now. to 15.4 .. have to check the newer one to see what that version is at presently..

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Updated to version 15.4 but no mention of any bug fixes for Atmos

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
From the apple forum post I posted above, there were no “lasting” solutions from customer changes other than downgrading out of atmos or switching back to gen1. I also tried using a new Roku ultra (2020) but that has a repetitive mistaken HDCP bug notification issue. But other than that I had no drop outs with the Ultra using atmos settings.

It was more than curious that even with just one source causing the audio dropout issue (gen2 Apple TV 4K) it would strangely affect my other sources too—even my Oppo 203 UHDs—so strange. Now with gen1–poof—no issues with any sources using atmos.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
From the apple forum post I posted above, there were no “lasting” solutions from customer changes other than downgrading out of atmos or switching back to gen1. I also tried using a new Roku ultra (2020) but that has a repetitive mistaken HDCP bug notification issue. But other than that I had no drop outs with the Ultra using atmos settings.

It was more than curious that even with just one source causing the audio dropout issue (gen2 Apple TV 4K) it would strangely affect my other sources too—even my Oppo 203 UHDs—so strange. Now with gen1–poof—no issues with any sources using atmos.
Downgrading out of Atmos?
How is this accomplished with the 2nd gen apple unit?
And what does it do to the sound experience?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis