lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We usually have ten fingers and ten toes. Need I say more?
So you're saying base 20? :)

ps seems there have been civilizations that didn't use base 10 but it's been a long time since that class....

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Sometimes I have a feeling people here see me as having even stronger stands on all the BS than an average audioholic. And although I do say astrology is a complete BS, there is a certain way in which it is real. However big of a BS it may be, it also yields some real life events. Like, IDK, Zodiac killer.

I don't see it as anything it would like to be, though. It doesn't forsee, it doesn't shape you, it doesn't guarantee any kind of specific destiny, has nothing to do with love, match-making, character and so on.

But filling ones head with descriptions of what „leo“ stands for might inspire him to act in a certain way. It will not, however, make him into what „leo“ stands for.

Also, you have to take parallax into account. A lot of those star clusters are not even clusters. Some of the stars are actually way behind but brighter and some are way up front but shine weaker. And if you would stand on Mars „leo“ wouldn't even look like „leo“.

So, a lot of audiophoolery, no matter how strongly it propagates the superb hearing of the propagator, is actually about belief and has nothing to do with superb hearing. There's another negative you can't prove somewhere in there.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
But filling ones head with descriptions of what „leo“ stands for might inspire him to act in a certain way. It will not, however, make him into what „leo“ stands for.
I would like to see the results from analyzing the lives of a group of people who were never told anything about astrology and the characteristics believed to be caused by the various constellations, comparing their actions and mindset to that of others with the same sign.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I would like to see the results from analyzing the lives of a group of people who were never told anything about astrology and the characteristics believed to be caused by the various constellations, comparing their actions and mindset to that of others with the same sign.
What I used to do whenever someone asked me to read him his horoscope from the papers was to read some other sign and listen to them go; woooow, spot on!! :D:D:D:D

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
It's an interesting question. Many cultures used astrology for thousands of years. That doesn't actually prove anything just makes you wonder.

Manly P. Hall said that the symbols for the astrological signs preceded the constellations we call the zodiac. In other words, they looked for groupings of stars to match the symbols they were already using. I'm not sure how he knew that or if he was right but it's interesting, if true.

I've actually had this weird idea that a lot of things we consider superstition, like astrology, may actually have been more scientific but we've lost the keys to understanding them. Using astrology as the example, it also served as astronomy and was useful for determining seasons, when to plant or migrate or whatever. It's possible there were other uses that weren't written down and have been forgotten.

highfigh

highfigh

It's an interesting question. Many cultures used astrology for thousands of years. That doesn't actually prove anything just makes you wonder.

Manly P. Hall said that the symbols for the astrological signs preceded the constellations we call the zodiac. In other words, they looked for groupings of stars to match the symbols they were already using. I'm not sure how he knew that or if he was right but it's interesting, if true.

I've actually had this weird idea that a lot of things we consider superstition, like astrology, may actually have been more scientific but we've lost the keys to understanding them. Using astrology as the example, it also served as astronomy and was useful for determining seasons, when to plant or migrate or whatever. It's possible there were other uses that weren't written down and have been forgotten.
I can't imagine the odds against finding constellations that match the symbols they may have been using.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
How about Numerology? That's really weird to believe that we are ruled by numbers but some people do.
I once met a girl in college who thought it was profoundly significant that she had P O Box 3224 and mine was 6448. She was really hot, so I went with it!:cool:

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I once met a girl in college who thought it was profoundly significant that she had P O Box 3224 and mine was 6448. She was really hot, so I went with it!:cool:
Going by those PO box numbers, she might have been only half as hot as you were!:D:D You sold yourself short!:D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Going by those PO box numbers, she might have been only half as hot as you were!:D:D You sold yourself short!:D
Well, you may be right, it seems like there was some purple haze, so my view may have not been totally clear!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
And there's also Chinese Astrology that is based on 12 archetypal temperaments represented by each of 12 symbolic animal signs. That is based on over 5,000 years of practical observations. It is not entirely for forecasting but is considered by many people as an interpretative art.

I noticed that Chinese astrologists don't all have the same opinion about compatibility between various signs. Who to believe?

rekh127

rekh127

Audioholic Intern
I can't imagine the odds against finding constellations that match the symbols they may have been using.
How do you mean? Constellations are entirely in our heads, its all tradition on what groupings to call a constellation.

highfigh

highfigh

How do you mean? Constellations are entirely in our heads, its all tradition on what groupings to call a constellation.
Right, but I don't know how they would conceive of the symbols and then somehow find stars in a similar grouping that were bright enough to compare.

The writer of the article offers that the first star maps may have been done about 17,000 years ago. Who knows, for sure?

https://www.space.com/15722-constellations.html

rekh127

rekh127

Audioholic Intern
Right, but I don't know how they would conceive of the symbols and then somehow find stars in a similar grouping that were bright enough to compare.

The writer of the article offers that the first star maps may have been done about 17,000 years ago. Who knows, for sure?

https://www.space.com/15722-constellations.html
Before all the light pollution theres enough visible stars to really make whatevefr patterns you want IME

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
WHO GAVE ME 112+ BAD RATINGS?
Seems our friend andyblackcat snuck in with a new name linearphase and already got himself banned by Steve81....but the flags he put up he can't remove apparently without more help from the software folk which he's put in a request for....

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Seems our friend andyblackcat snuck in with a new name linearphase and already got himself banned by Steve81....but the flags he put up he can't remove apparently without more help from the software folk which he's put in a request for....
My goodness. Did he get banned earlier under the "andyblackcat" username? He sounds like Jekyll and Hyde to me. Yuck. Troll!!!
Ryan

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My goodness. Did he get banned earlier under the "andyblackcat" username? He sounds like Jekyll and Hyde to me. Yuck. Troll!!!
Ryan
Assume so. Not sure if simultaneously or if andy just got tired of ranting to himself about how everything resembled his cat litter box.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis