Assassination attempt on Trump

T

TankTop5

Audioholic Field Marshall
I saw it was roughly 135m shot. That is less than half the distance a new Army recruit is required to accurately hit after two weeks of basic rifle marksmanship using iron-sights and a Vietnam era M16. I think anyone that has a few hours under professional instruction could take my AR pistol with a short 12" barrel, 3x optics and shoot a shot group the size of a human head at 300m all day long.

Missing just to the side like he did was probably due to bad basic fundamentals as too aggressive on the trigger squeeze (pull).

The former president needs to go by a lottery ticket.
It was a DPMS using Aguila range ammo.: facepalm

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I heard 165m was the initial report. I can hit squirrels with a .17HMR at that range no problem, and they are smaller than someone's combover. Could have any number of things, including the rifle itself being dialed in, and even wind since it was wide open, no trees. The kid is not a sniper though, would likely not have known those things and not compensated, also not smooth on the trigger. He did get REALLY close though.

Definitely Trump should buy a few lotto tickets. He should not have been shaking his fist at anything; he should be thanking whatever god he hasn't offended that he's still here.

The article mentioned he wasn't even close to making the team.
supposedly 400 '(133 yds), regardless, it was relatively close. Assuming the weapon was a AR-15 style, chambered in 5.56 NATO(.223) the bullet would in all likelihood be 55 or 62 gr. Depending on wind that could account for drift along with the elevated heart rate I spoke of earlier. perp supposedly had a laser rangefinder in his back pack as well.

For those interested, I was a competitive bench rest shooter for years. Nothing is more accurate @ 100 yds than the mighty 6PPC. It's an offering in bolt action and rail guns only.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It was supposed to be an AR-15. Most common expectation would be .223/5.56. Trump also turned his head at that very second. The person who was killed was a few feet away and likely inline; possibly the projectile that clipped the ear. It is typical to assume you are looking from the direction of fire, but I am feeling it was coming from the right side to the left as you are viewing him speak. So his ear got clipped as he turned, instead of in the right side and that went on to strike the other individual. You can hear two in quick succession, then a third, which I presume is the sniper. From the video, it sounds relatively far away.

T

TankTop5

It was supposed to be an AR-15. Most common expectation would be .223/5.56. Trump also turned his head at that very second. The person who was killed was a few feet away and likely inline; possibly the projectile that clipped the ear. It is typical to assume you are looking from the direction of fire, but I am feeling it was coming from the right side to the left as you are viewing him speak. So his ear got clipped as he turned, instead of in the right side and that went on to strike the other individual. You can hear two in quick succession, then a third, which I presume is the sniper. From the video, it sounds relatively far away.
The snipers photo that everyone has seen are not the sniper team that took out the shooter. Supposedly it was a 400+ meter shot for the other sniper team, for these guys that’s nothing.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
SS director said it was too dangerous to put a sniper on that roof because it’s sloped. I’m a roofing contractor, that is a 2/12 slope and almost flat. This is the dumbest thing I’ve heard. Also agents were inside the building yet they sent barny fife up the ladder to investigate instead.

Nope! This lady needs to get fired yesterday

She never should have been appointed. Even with my bad knee, I have been on steeper slopes and wasn't worried.

This is what happens when they hire suburban Cub Scouts for security.

highfigh

highfigh

I saw it was roughly 135m shot. That is less than half the distance a new Army recruit is required to accurately hit after two weeks of basic rifle marksmanship using iron-sights and a Vietnam era M16. I think anyone that has a few hours under professional instruction could take my AR pistol with a short 12" barrel, 3x optics and shoot a shot group the size of a human head at 300m all day long.

Missing just to the side like he did was probably due to bad basic fundamentals as too aggressive on the trigger squeeze (pull).

The former president needs to go buy a lottery ticket.
From that distance, good golfers don't have a problem hitting a small spot on the green.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here are three takes on the situation by 2 former snipers and a former SS agent. One thing that stands out is that the SS snipers are expected to cover an area defined by a 1,000 yard radius* around the former president and the sniper team were probably looking past Crooks initially.

They also mentioned the lack of drones, which is something I've wondered about as well.

>>>The War Zone asked three experts – two experienced snipers and one former USSS Special Agent in Charge – to give their perspectives, breaking down how these operations work and what they observed about how CS teams handled what would become the first time a USSS sniper ever actually killed anyone.<<<

*It appears to me that the caption of the photo in the article referring to a 1,000 yard circumference is probably incorrect, and should be 1,000 yard radius.

T

TankTop5

She never should have been appointed. Even with my bad knee, I have been on steeper slopes and wasn't worried.

This is what happens when they hire suburban Cub Scouts for security.
It was such a stupid statement I’m convinced she just blurted something out in the moment. I don’t think she has a clue what happened that day and probably only glanced at a report before the interview. I listened to a couple videos and there are some people who definitely have access to inside information that are making some pretty serious claims but they also have a political motivation so their claims cannot be believed without evidence and they need to just shut up.

highfigh

highfigh

You don't golf much do you. Explain small spot .
I don't golf a lot now, but I have, for almost 60 years. You don't sound like you golf much if you don't know that practicing chip shots is done by many by dropping something that would be easy to see and landing balls on it, from whatever distance they want to practice. If a chipping green is available, they use the pin.

Small spot for golf- a yard in radius. If you understand one thing about golf, it should be that the golfer needs to hit the ball where they want it to go, not spray shots around the course. If you watch good golfers, they'll hit any shot that's going to land on the green accurately. Playing for low score requires this. Hitting shots 'on the stick' with a long iron isn't rare and a well-hit 2 iron goes well over 220 yards for a pro, I don't know how far average golfers hit it but I have seen links that show ~175 yards. I used to hit my 5 iron 200-210 yards, accurately.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I watched the news last night and it said the local PD were aware of him 30 minutes ahead of the shooting. They actually approached him and tried to make contact. He aimed at the officers and they backed off and called for further support.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I don't golf a lot now, but I have, for almost 60 years. You don't sound like you golf much if you don't know that practicing chip shots is done by many by dropping something that would be easy to see and landing balls on it, from whatever distance they want to practice. If a chipping green is available, they use the pin.

Small spot for golf- a yard in radius. If you understand one thing about golf, it should be that the golfer needs to hit the ball where they want it to go, not spray shots around the course. If you watch good golfers, they'll hit any shot that's going to land on the green accurately. Playing for low score requires this. Hitting shots 'on the stick' with a long iron isn't rare and a well-hit 2 iron goes well over 220 yards for a pro, I don't know how far average golfers hit it but I have seen links that show ~175 yards. I used to hit my 5 iron 200-210 yards, accurately.
I golf about 3 times a week ( actually live in a private gated golf community with two very good 18 hole courses) and hold a steady 10 handicap as senior golfer and I've been golfing since my HS golf team in 69. . Even pro's and even watching them play, sure strive to hit it close, I know I try and my short game is pretty decent, even short par 3's, but thinking and executing is two different things when it actually matters. Like Mcllroy at the US Open, missed a 3'9" par putt. Execution when it matters is all that matters.. Pressure is a bitch.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I golf about 3 times a week and hold a steady 10 handicap and I've been golfing since my HS golf team in 69. . Even pro's and even watching them play, sure strive to hit it close, I know I try and my short game is pretty decent, even short par 3's, but thinking and executing is to different things when it actually matters. . Care to play and show off your skills, come on down.
I have a partially torn quad tendon- my old swing is gone. That didn't kill my game completely, but until I practice a lot, I won't know my distances but my aim was still good.

Ask a pro- they want it IN the hole, but they know it's not realistic to think it will go every time.

In my mind, I'm a +3. :)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Perhaps the Trumps should have let Secret Service agents use their toilet rather than sending them down the street to the Obamas?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I have a partially torn quad tendon- my old swing is gone. That didn't kill my game completely, but until I practice a lot, I won't know my distances but my aim was still good.

Ask a pro- they want it IN the hole, but they know it's not realistic to think it will go every time.

In my mind, I'm a +3. :)
Golf is a fickle game, one day its not bad, the next its scary and oh so true about the health. Knees, hips, backs, elbows, shoulders, wrist, hands neck and even feet. The game can sure mess up a healthy in shape person. We have a couple of super seniors both ( early 80's) had both hips and both knees replaced and still are so good and steady for their age. Its amazing and also encouraging that golf can be played well into your golden years.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Here are three takes on the situation by 2 former snipers and a former SS agent. One thing that stands out is that the SS snipers are expected to cover an area defined by a 1,000 yard radius* around the former president and the sniper team were probably looking past Crooks initially.

They also mentioned the lack of drones, which is something I've wondered about as well.

>>>The War Zone asked three experts – two experienced snipers and one former USSS Special Agent in Charge – to give their perspectives, breaking down how these operations work and what they observed about how CS teams handled what would become the first time a USSS sniper ever actually killed anyone.<<<

*It appears to me that the caption of the photo in the article referring to a 1,000 yard circumference is probably incorrect, and should be 1,000 yard radius.
In addition to the Director's silly quote in the link, the lack of police over in that area. Also as mentioned the sniper was looking further outward. Where the shooter was laying the roof was pitched away, and wearing tan might have concealed him somewhat. Although the question of Cooks being up close to the entrance or whatever I dunno if that's been confirmed or not. Be interesting to know what side of the building he climbed up in terms of visibility. Overall still a complete screw up.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

>>>Local police alerted the Secret Service before former president Donald Trump’s rally Saturday that they lacked the resources to station a patrol car outside a key building where a gunman later positioned himself and shot at Trump, according to local and federal law enforcement.

Richard Goldinger, the district attorney in Butler County, Pa., where the Trump rally took place, said the Secret Service “was informed that the local police department did not have manpower to assist with securing that building.”

Goldinger’s account was confirmed by Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. Guglielmi said the proposal to station a patrol car and officer outside the Agr International building complex had been part of the Secret Service’s advance planning for securing the prominent structure, which had an expansive roof with an unobstructed view of the rally stage less than 150 yards away, where Trump would later stand.

Guglielmi said that about 20 to 30 minutes before the shooting, local police assigned to the inside of the building warned the Secret Service security team by radio of a suspicious person with a golf range finder and backpack. Those officers also forwarded a photograph of the person, Guglielmi said.

Authorities from a number of jurisdictions were on the scene Saturday, and officials are still determining how the building was guarded — and how the 20-year-old gunman, Thomas Matthew Crooks, reached the roof. But the twin warnings from local law enforcement — first of insufficient manpower, then of a man behaving strangely — add to questions about whether the Secret Service adequately planned for and provided adequate security for the high-stakes presidential campaign visit.

The warnings also underscore a tension that has emerged in recent days between federal and local authorities over who bears responsibility for security lapses preceding the attempted assassination. Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle, who had previously stressed that local police were responsible for the outer security perimeter, issued a statement to The Post on Wednesday stressing the importance of collaboration with local authorities.<<<

T

TankTop5

>>>Local police alerted the Secret Service before former president Donald Trump’s rally Saturday that they lacked the resources to station a patrol car outside a key building where a gunman later positioned himself and shot at Trump, according to local and federal law enforcement.

Richard Goldinger, the district attorney in Butler County, Pa., where the Trump rally took place, said the Secret Service “was informed that the local police department did not have manpower to assist with securing that building.”

Goldinger’s account was confirmed by Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. Guglielmi said the proposal to station a patrol car and officer outside the Agr International building complex had been part of the Secret Service’s advance planning for securing the prominent structure, which had an expansive roof with an unobstructed view of the rally stage less than 150 yards away, where Trump would later stand.

Guglielmi said that about 20 to 30 minutes before the shooting, local police assigned to the inside of the building warned the Secret Service security team by radio of a suspicious person with a golf range finder and backpack. Those officers also forwarded a photograph of the person, Guglielmi said.

Authorities from a number of jurisdictions were on the scene Saturday, and officials are still determining how the building was guarded — and how the 20-year-old gunman, Thomas Matthew Crooks, reached the roof. But the twin warnings from local law enforcement — first of insufficient manpower, then of a man behaving strangely — add to questions about whether the Secret Service adequately planned for and provided adequate security for the high-stakes presidential campaign visit.

The warnings also underscore a tension that has emerged in recent days between federal and local authorities over who bears responsibility for security lapses preceding the attempted assassination. Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle, who had previously stressed that local police were responsible for the outer security perimeter, issued a statement to The Post on Wednesday stressing the importance of collaboration with local authorities.<<<
Local law enforcement is not responsible for security of the perimeter. Secret Service is responsible for all of the security and they assigned local law enforcement to specific perimeter and other areas, it’s still secret service responsibility. The police department told the secret service they didn’t have the manpower and SS told them to just park a police car there which police told SS they didn’t even have the resources.

Cheeto was a part of Jill Biden’s security before going to Pepsi and it was Jill Biden that pushed to have Cheeto appointed head of the SS. The SS was under manned for the Trump rally but then chose to pull ALL of the regular agents on Trumps security detail leaving temporary non field agents to protect Trump while Trumps regular security detail went to provide additional security to Jill Biden at another private event. 1 hour ahead of speech the perp was identified as a person of interest, 30 minutes before he was elevated to a threat. They still let Trump take the stage. Minutes before the shooting secret service was notified of a person with a rifle on the roof and did not remove Trump from the stage.

I hate conspiracy theories but tinfoil hats are spontaneously combusting. Oddly Joe Biden just came down with Covid 18 hours ago.

Here’s the registered Republican shooter in a more current photo.

IMG_8106.jpeg

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
In addition to the Director's silly quote in the link, the lack of police over in that area. Also as mentioned the sniper was looking further outward. Where the shooter was laying the roof was pitched away, and wearing tan might have concealed him somewhat. Although the question of Cooks being up close to the entrance or whatever I dunno if that's been confirmed or not. Be interesting to know what side of the building he climbed up in terms of visibility. Overall still a complete screw up.
There was local police in that area ;

ABC News "
" sources told ABC News that there were local police personnel and counter-sniper units in the AGR building where Crooks eventually took up a position to fire at Trump, sources said. Investigators believe that could have led to confusion as Secret Service snipers were trying to determine whether there was a threat to Trump and where it might be coming from, according to the sources.

Secret Service counter snipers positioned on buildings close to the rally stage were aware the AGR building was being used as a staging area by law enforcement"

T

TankTop5

There was local police in that area ;

ABC News "
" sources told ABC News that there were local police personnel and counter-sniper units in the AGR building where Crooks eventually took up a position to fire at Trump, sources said. Investigators believe that could have led to confusion as Secret Service snipers were trying to determine whether there was a threat to Trump and where it might be coming from, according to the sources.

Secret Service counter snipers positioned on buildings close to the rally stage were aware the AGR building was being used as a staging area by law enforcement"
And yet nobody thought to protect the principle and get Trump off the stage. This is mind numbingly stupid. Everyone in the chain of command needs to get promoted to fry cook at Burger King, I’d say McDonald’s but their fries are actually good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis