Ascend Acoustic Ribbon Towers

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Ha! Ascend is now including "this side up" stickers on all the grilles for the towers going forward!
This sticker will be known now and forever as the "Pogre sticker."

Next, we will need to put stickers on the bottom of drinking glasses to let the person know which side is up and which is down. ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Next, we will need to put stickers on the bottom of drinking glasses to let the person know which side is up and which is down. ;)
No! Then I’ll be confused when I’ve drank myself to the floor!!!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
He's getting too much power. Or...not enough. Maybe that monoprice amp isn't enough. :eek:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Ha!

The new Pogre sticker!

IMG_9360.jpg

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I just did a test in the theater at what I would call my "normal" listening level for heavier music. It got sort of loud, but not ridiculous. This is with a 5.1 track of NINs Reptile and DSU turned on.

IMG_20200619_154848.jpg

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
So I just did a test in the theater at what I would call my "normal" listening level for heavier music. It got sort of loud, but not ridiculous. This is with a 5.1 track of NINs Reptile and DSU turned on.
I ordered the same Sound Level Meter as Pogre and learned a few things.
1. Loud for me is 75db at 12 feet away on the sofa. I can't imagine wanting it at 85db for long. I'm showing my age. :D

2. When Audyssey sets up the volume for my VMPS SuperTower III speakers it's a lot lower than my Paradigm Reference Monitor Surrounds at my listening levels. The white noise level Audyssey uses in the initial setup is louder and the Paradigm is more efficient. Using the Sound Level Meter and multichannel stereo I can measure the difference in levels between the two speakers at 1 foot and make adjustments. Without the meter I was just guessing. Nice tool.

3. I was playing the HSU audio CD that came with the VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub at 75db and it gets to a section of tones and at several locations different items would start vibrating. It went from air condition duct to grandfather clock chimes to items vibrating on a desk. Below 75db the room rage disappeared. lol
These items will need some vibration treatment.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What's funny is, after I posted the thread over at Ascend a few more came forward and admitted it happened to them too. One guy said he did it once with his pin and cup grilles.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just for kicks... with the Lady home, I ran at -20 on my rig with readings on 4 songs from 3 different artists, streamed through Apple Music. My average was about 70dB with a range from roughly 66-81dB, depending on the content. Bass was present, but higher frequencies are what pushed the meter above 80dB at my LP.

Speakers are rated at 85dB Sensitivity. I sit just over 2m away at ~7'. Room is small; 11x15', ~2000'3.
Subs were engaged, but I do not run them hot. I use Audyssey Flat. DEQ is on. I'll play around a little more as I can... and when the lady is out, I'lll romp sumpin at 0.
Perhaps, @Pogre , when we can, we should each pick a cut both of us can access and see what out meters read.
:)
I’d be curious to join too. I just did a little experiment of my own. 3 songs by STP as I know them very well.
C-weighted
-20mv 83db avg.
-10mv 88db avg.
-10mv 92db avg.
I assumed -0 would yield 101-104 avg. kids are done with my experiments for the day though lol.
Speakers are 92db and 14.5’ distance. Played in 2.3. Tries Dolby surround in 7.3.4 and only saw 2db more avg.
I know, super scientific!
I was surprised to see you get 70db with MV at -20. Then I saw your sensitivity. I know there’s an equation in there somewhere...lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
When I finished up with some sweeps this evening I cranked it up with some korn and took a quick reading before packing it up.

650.jpeg

Just a quick and dirty reading to see where I'm at. Nothing real specific. I scooted a little closer so had to re-do everything anyway. I'm almost a full foot closer now at 14.5 feet. I was over 15 before. Subs and DEQ were on, subs bumped 3 dB.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
When I finished up with some sweeps this evening I cranked it up with some korn and took a quick reading before packing it up.

View attachment 37316

Just a quick and dirty reading to see where I'm at. Nothing real specific. I scooted a little closer so had to re-do everything anyway. I'm almost a full foot closer now at 14.5 feet. I was over 15 before. Subs and DEQ were on, subs bumped 3 dB.
Look at you, using a laptop!!! Depending on your DEQ level, you towers are probably 5-6 dB lower than that though.;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Look at you, using a laptop!!! Depending on your DEQ level, you towers are probably 5-6 dB lower than that though.;)
The volume was at 0, so there was no DEQ effect at all there.

*Edit: And yes, the laptop is SO MUCH easier! Holy crap is it easier...

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Somebody on USAM has a pair for $2000... I'd certainly ask for some more pictures though. Located in Georgia.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Somebody on USAM has a pair for $2000... I'd certainly ask for some more pictures though. Located in Georgia.

Those look like satin espresso. I might have tried to work something out with that cat. A person could pay the shipping for those and still be a great deal.

It's a lot to spend sight unseen tho, and I'd be on pins and needles the whole time until I actually got them and determined they were legit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis