Are these Old Speakers Dying, if So Can you Recommend a modern Equivalent.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, well I'm definitely getting one of these variations, only thing with the TFE's are the depth is almost double what I have now with the old Sony SS-U501's.

Hopefully this will be my last question and I do appreciate all of your help but with the bookshelf 160's that everyone has been raving about, they seem to have the exact same specs as the tower 160's, is there any functional difference besides the height? Meaning if I were to get them the same height with stands, would they sound any different?
That bigger depth will give you some realistic good, deep and articulate bass .... the TP160 bookshelf speakers are sold out. If you desire, get a small stand for the TP160 small towers ... but the TFE series is still clearly better -- your call

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
The TFE series is more open, with better imaging, detail and definition, and has a more open expansive soundstage with better depth. The TFE series also has a better tweeter.
OK this better be my last question, the issue is not $260 vs. $150, I'm trying to see if I can get away with the Tower 160 to save some space with its lighter footprint over the 260, albeit not by much but this is a small room, is higher quality loud levels all that is lost going down from the 3 way speaker to the 2 way speaker, any other benefit to having a separate mid range?

My Sony SS-U501's are clearly not up to the quality of the speakers that you recommend, I'm trying to match or exceed it, but it is a 3 way speaker, just want to be sure if I go with the 160's, I'll notice something missing.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
OK this better be my last question, the issue is not $260 vs. $150, I'm trying to see if I can get away with the Tower 160 to save some space with its lighter footprint over the 260, albeit not by much but this is a small room, is higher quality loud levels all that is lost going down from the 3 way speaker to the 2 way speaker, any other benefit to having a separate mid range?

My Sony SS-U501's are clearly not up to the quality of the speakers that you recommend, I'm trying to match or exceed it, but it is a 3 way speaker, just want to be sure if I go with the 160's, I'll notice something missing.
There is only 1.5 inches difference in depth between the 160 tower and the 260 tower and 6.5 inches in height -- both can play loud, but the 260 3/way will take some of the stress off the midrange driver and play more clean at higher levels. Plus the 260 will have better bass. ... Whatever you choose, you are in for an ear-opener experience.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
There is only 1.5 inches difference in depth between the 160 tower and the 260 tower and 6.5 inches in height -- both can play loud, but the 260 3/way will take some of the stress off the midrange driver and play more clean at higher levels. Plus the 260 will have better bass. ... Whatever you choose, you are in for an ear-opener experience.
Any chance these would be a better buy at $289: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-reference-series-5-1-4-340-watt-passive-2-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/6241808.p?skuId=6241808

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
No -- the DCM TFE60 bookshelf is the one to go after

However, your call

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Why tho? The choices you have with DCM are pretty unbeatable price wise...
It is an easier return process with Best Buy, just looking for a few more comparable options, I've been going back and forth, also I read an AVS forum thread in which a few people received damaged DCM speakers from pricedrightsales.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It is an easier return process with Best Buy, just looking for a few more comparable options, I've been going back and forth, also I read an AVS forum thread in which a few people received damaged DCM speakers from pricedrightsales.
I've had excellent experiences buying on eBay just make sure to look at the sellers reviews I only buy from sellers that have a very very high rating with a lot of reviews and I speak to them first I make sure they are an authorized seller provide the full warranty and do returns

Prefer shopping on eBay usually if I do things that way and the DCM are worth the risk your not going to find a speaker with that performance anywhere near there clearance price or it's going to be hard

I wouldn't really get into the klipsch line until you get into there reference premier or higher.
I had excellent experiences with the RP 8000f when I owned those but the tiers below that line? not bad but nowhere near that quality

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
No -- the DCM TFE60 bookshelf is the one to go after

However, your call
As a PSA the DCM TP160 bookshelves which were sold out, are now back on sale for $120. Am I wrong to even judge these from a Youtube video but these speakers sound as good as the Youtube video I posted of the DCM bookshelves:

Dayton Audio T652 Towers, pair for $130. From the video they seem to have a powerful but clean sound.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
As a PSA the DCM TP160 bookshelves which were sold out, are now back on sale for $120. Am I wrong to even judge these from a Youtube video but these speakers sound as good as the Youtube video I posted of the DCM bookshelves:

Dayton Audio T652 Towers, pair for $130. From the video they seem to have a powerful but clean sound.
Do not fall into that YouTube trap -- and the DCM are in another league over the lower Daytons

You are riding on a merry-go-round trying to avoid the DCM -- it is OK if you do not want to buy them, but aim higher than the Dayton.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Are you on a mission to avoid higher quality sound..? You can't tell the quality of a speaker from a Youtube video. No.

The DCMs (TP series or TFE) are by far, better speakers than the Daytons. I don't think you'll find a better speaker (or even as good) in the price range.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
+1 to what everyone is saying we can show you the water but we can't make you drink it. Can understand the second guessing I've been there you want to make sure you get it right. But we can over OCD this best of luck on whatever you pick!!!!! You've done a lot of research got a lot of great advice now you just gotta decide what you want to go with!

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Do not fall into that YouTube trap -- and the DCM are in another league over the lower Daytons

You are riding on a merry-go-round trying to avoid the DCM -- it is OK if you do not want to buy them, but aim higher than the Dayton.
I'm simply gathering information, I want to consider a range of options, OK so the consensus is that at $250 and below, you can't match the DCM offerings, let's say the DCM's sold out, what would be in your opinion the next line of speakers that would match the DCM quality, thanks.

And to the others here, if these were at Best Buy they would have been bought already based on your input, the return process for the DCM's will not be fun, so for anyone who wants to reply, I pose the same question, what would be the next step up in price to match the quality of the DCM's?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm simply gathering information, I want to consider a range of options, OK so the consensus is that at $250 and below, you can't match the DCM offerings, let's say the DCM's sold out, what would be in your opinion the next line of speakers that would match the DCM quality, thanks.

And to the others here, if these were at Best Buy they would have been bought already based on your input, the return process for the DCM's will not be fun, so for anyone who wants to reply, I pose the same question, what would be the next step up in price to match the quality of the DCM's?
Your probably looking at 300 to 500 per speaker

One thing to note these DCM's are a line that is being discontinued by the manufacturer and they are just releasing extra inventory at crazy marked down prices

So they were priced higher at one point and are built and perform at a higher standard then what you normally find at this price point

Its why they are such a good deal if I had seen these on eBay when I was redoing the bedroom system I would have snatched these up no hesitation I got a good deal on my JBL 580's but not that good and I've owned DCM in the past so I like there performance

I'd say if your stepping up to match these your looking at mid level prices such as the signature polk lineup which has its flaws the mid level klipsch range but you need to like horn loaded speakers they are not visually sometimes or to some listeners ears preferred at times

Once again they have flaws at those ranges but every speaker lineup does at certain price points the designers make compromises but they are okay options these will all be much higher then the DCM"s in cost even though they sell at reduced prices they don't reduce them that much

Maybe SVS prime towers but they are way to high for your price point

Maybe Bic America the 3 way horns but even then they are as a budget speaker not priced at the same level as the DCM or will perform as well but they are a good starter for some on a budget

If I had to pick It sat the polk signature S60 but it's not as inexpensive and it's a big speaker I owned those and although they don't measure neutral and have some flaws in the sound they had a while not neutral presentation they had a fun sound to them that I could enjoy

But they are way more expensive but there highest in that lineup are the only ones Ideven look at the S20's and the flagship tower S60's

I'd stay away from there center channels though and subs if you ever want to do multichannel tho

There's some options I could think off but it's a struggle due to the original value and performance of the DCM's compared to how marked down they are now it's very tough to find something that will give u there performance at there current price

Maybe some other members might have some suggestions?

I'm stretching I admit here it's tough to find comparable options

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
maybe elac or pioneer have some options guy does Sony have something at this price point?

I'm trying to think of brands he might find at best buy

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
maybe elac or pioneer have some options guy does Sony have something at this price point?

I'm trying to think of brands he might find at best buy
Thanks, no, don't worry about Best Buy, I'm curious to everyone's next step up (DCM Match) regardless of where you can buy them, thanks again.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
For the DCM TFE series, you will have to look into the JBL Studio 5 series, and Klipsch RP series

For the DCM TP series you will have to look into the likes of the KEF Q series, and Ascend CBM series

Just be ready to spend more than the current DCM prices -- have fun

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For the DCM TFE series, you will have to look into the JBL Studio 5 series, and Klipsch RP series

For the DCM TP series you will have to look into the likes of the KEF Q series, and Ascend CBM series

Just be ready to spend more than the current DCM prices -- have fun
Thanks I knew he would have to step up just not how far thanks for the help

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis