Are these Old Speakers Dying, if So Can you Recommend a modern Equivalent.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I actually stumbled upon your thread on similar speakers over at AVS forum (TFE100), you wrote that the only issue was the bass was a little heavy, would it be the same with these, I usually keep the EQ off, don't like heavy bass. The only thing right now holding me back is the 20 percent restocking fee if I need to return them.
Heavy bass can be subjective and can be room dependent -- the Sony you have will be more on the boomy side, and the DCM more tight and controlled ... one thing for sure the DCM is in a much higher league over what you have -- your call

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Heavy bass can be subjective and can be room dependent -- the Sony you have will be more on the boomy side, and the DCM more tight and controlled ... one thing for sure the DCM is in a much higher league over what you have -- your call
Now I'm starting to lean toward the DCM-TP260's for $259, those are 3 channel vs. the TP160's which are 2 channel, I believe my old Sony SS-U501's are three channel.

In general, what difference can you hear going from 3 to 2, is that a big deal?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Now I'm starting to lean toward the DCM-TP260's for $259, those are 3 channel vs. the TP160's which are 2 channel, I believe my old Sony SS-U501's are three channel.

In general, what difference can you hear going from 3 to 2, is that a big deal?
You mean a 3-way speaker vs a 2-way speaker? Channels are something else.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I will probably try the foam, it has happened a few more times, I press the baffle slightly and it goes away, perhaps the missing foam is causing the baffle to vibrate or somehow produce the distortion.
If you intend to try replacing the foam surrounds on your speakers, that is a work which is usually done by a competent speaker repair technician. Also bear in mind that the replacement foam has to be an identical replacement part, otherwise your drivers won't operate as they were intended to and you won't get satisfactory performance.

As suggested by others, new speakers would be the way to go. I tend to agree with Zieg's suggestions.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If that is the difference between the dcm 160 and 260 floor standing speaker, then yes.
The 260 is a 3-way and is slightly larger than the 160 which is a 2-way. The 260 is slightly more capable, without a sub may be a bit more useful than the 160.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
The 260 is a 3-way and is slightly larger than the 160 which is a 2-way. The 260 is slightly more capable, without a sub may be a bit more useful than the 160.
Thanks, I was wondering if there is a discernible sound difference, 2 vs. 3, particularly if you won't be listening at high volume levels.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Either one are gonna blow away what you have right now. For use in my main system I'd go with the 3 way myself. Just because, lol.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
If you intend to try replacing the foam surrounds on your speakers, that is a work which is usually done by a competent speaker repair technician. Also bear in mind that the replacement foam has to be an identical replacement part, otherwise your drivers won't operate as they were intended to and you won't get satisfactory performance.

As suggested by others, new speakers would be the way to go. I tend to agree with Zieg's suggestions.
Just my 2 cents in this. I think surround replacement is one of the easier things to do yourself as long as you follow the directions. I was reforming speakers when i was barely a teenager. I did screw up one pair by accidentally forgetting to manually move the cone which aligns the surround (when you glue it you have to then push it carefully in and out while the glue is wet to get it to self align). I’ll admit to probably being an unusual 12 year old. I was measuring speakers by that time, including T/S parameters. I remember the foam being pretty easy though.

however I don’t think a speaker like the OP has is worth fixing. The foam kits cost as much as the speaker is worth. Anything modern and decent will be better.

Just don’t want people scared off of doing foam surrounds. If you can follow directions and be meticulous, it’s not too hard to do.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Just my 2 cents in this. I think surround replacement is one of the easier things to do yourself as long as you follow the directions. I was reforming speakers when i was barely a teenager. I did screw up one pair by accidentally forgetting to manually move the cone which aligns the surround (when you glue it you have to then push it carefully in and out while the glue is wet to get it to self align). I’ll admit to probably being an unusual 12 year old. I was measuring speakers by that time, including T/S parameters. I remember the foam being pretty easy though.

however I don’t think a speaker like the OP has is worth fixing. The foam kits cost as much as the speaker is worth. Anything modern and decent will be better.

Just don’t want people scared off of doing foam surrounds. If you can follow directions and be meticulous, it’s not too hard to do.
Thank you, yes that ship has sailed, duct tape right now to stop the distorted dialogue but now I will replace these speakers.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you, yes that ship has sailed, duct tape right now to stop the distorted dialogue but now I will replace these speakers.
@zeiglj01 has got you covered either one of those dcm are a superb choice for the price Id buy them myself if I wasn't unloading extra I've built up

I used to own DCM's when I was younger fine pair of speakers sorry to need to sell them

You can really trust his advice the man knows his speakers he helped on a decision for my surrounds in the theater room and it was solid gold that room is sounding sweet

I'd go with the DCM's but it's your call

And hey @zeiglj01 you were right those 530's can PUNCH!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@zeiglj01 has got you covered either one of those dcm are a superb choice for the price Id buy them myself if I wasn't unloading extra I've built up

I used to own DCM's when I was younger fine pair of speakers sorry to need to sell them

You can really trust his advice the man knows his speakers he helped on a decision for my surrounds in the theater room and it was solid gold that room is sounding sweet

I'd go with the DCM's but it's your call

And hey @zeiglj01 you were right those 530's can PUNCH!
I still have a pair of TP160S' on my tv stand, lol. I still pull them forward, set them on top of my subs and hook 'em up from time to time and I'm still impressed when I do. Honestly, I do think they look kinda cheap and that messes with my expectations. Looks are very deceiving here tho. They're heavy for their size, solidly built and the cabs sound pretty inert when you give 'em the knock test. I've had them playing very loud at full range and have yet to hear them bottom out.

They maintain their composure very well a high volumes and with a subwoofer can hang as main speakers. I imagine the towers to be all that plus more.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I still have a pair of TP160S' on my tv stand, lol. I still pull them forward, set them on top of my subs and hook 'em up from time to time and I'm still impressed when I do. Honestly, I do think they look kinda cheap and that messes with my expectations. Looks are very deceiving here tho. They're heavy for their size, solidly built and the cabs sound pretty inert when you give 'em the knock test. I've had them playing very loud at full range and have yet to hear them bottom out.

They maintain their composure very well a high volumes and with a subwoofer can hang as main speakers. I imagine the towers to be all that plus more.
I had the old timeframes the T600 I think those speakers just were sooooo good
Especially for the price a friend hooked me up to them on the cheap

Always loved DCM

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I had a pair of original Time Windows that I sold when I moved in 2012. Best sounding speakers I ever owned wish I never let go of them. The new DCMs have nothing to do with the original company but are getting some really good reviews.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
What is the difference between this the TFE100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-6-5-Bi-Amp-Home-Theater-Floor-Standing-Tower-Speakers-DCM-by-MTX-Audio/193088351380?hash=item2cf4f66c94:g:~48AAOSwKENdg65b

On another thread, a poster was reporting that the TFE is superior, right now only $10 more for the pair, any insights into the differences, thanks.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What is the difference between this the TFE100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-6-5-Bi-Amp-Home-Theater-Floor-Standing-Tower-Speakers-DCM-by-MTX-Audio/193088351380?hash=item2cf4f66c94:g:~48AAOSwKENdg65b

On another thread, a poster was reporting that the TFE is superior, right now only $10 more for the pair, any insights into the differences, thanks.
Those I haven't heard but by all accounts they're superior to the TP series (@zieglj01 was very, very impressed) and for the extra 10 bucks I'd go with the TFEs no question!

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Those I haven't heard but by all accounts they're superior to the TP series (@zieglj01 was very, very impressed) and for the extra 10 bucks I'd go with the TFEs no question!
Thanks, well I'm definitely getting one of these variations, only thing with the TFE's are the depth is almost double what I have now with the old Sony SS-U501's.

Hopefully this will be my last question and I do appreciate all of your help but with the bookshelf 160's that everyone has been raving about, they seem to have the exact same specs as the tower 160's, is there any functional difference besides the height? Meaning if I were to get them the same height with stands, would they sound any different?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, well I'm definitely getting one of these variations, only thing with the TFE's are the depth is almost double what I have now with the old Sony SS-U501's.

Hopefully this will be my last question and I do appreciate all of your help but with the bookshelf 160's that everyone has been raving about, they seem to have the exact same specs as the tower 160's, is there any functional difference besides the height? Meaning if I were to get them the same height with stands, would they sound any different?
I would say that the bookshelves will have all the same qualities as the towers minus a little bass extension. That's really a non issue with a subwoofer or 2.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

The TFE series is more open, with better imaging, detail and definition, and has a more open expansive soundstage with better depth. The TFE series also has a better tweeter.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis