Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Found a pair of Maggies for $300 in fair shape. Looks like some of the cloth is coming loose on top but nothing major.

00x0x_5u2C4QHQ3l3z_0kl0t2_1200x900.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
To each one his taste. But performance wise, these L300 don't compare with the S8Rs.
I've heard the L300 but not the S8R. I know that they're pretty sought after but would imagine that good condition pairs would be pretty hard to find these days.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And if you are looking for the best vintage JBL speaker, it's the big Olympus S8R:
To some serious audiophiles and musicians, this was performing better than Altec Lansing's A7 Voice of the Theater component systems.
This guy has quite the collection. You may find a few of interest if you wanna flip through all the images. Revel Salon and Infinity Epsilon for starters!

00z0z_iukxI00FWuOz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

He has quite a bit more. Lots of vintage stuff and other associated gear for sale too.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I've heard the L300 but not the S8R. I know that they're pretty sought after but would imagine that good condition pairs would be pretty hard to find these days.
I figure that some of their owners are still alive and you never know what may eventually show up. :) But the price might be stiff like over 10 grand for a pair..

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
any jbl lovers think a drive down to south texas is worth these two guys?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This guy has quite the collection. You may find a few of interest if you wanna flip through all the images. Revel Salon and Infinity Epsilon for starters!

View attachment 51156

He has quite a bit more. Lots of vintage stuff and other associated gear for sale too.
That's quite a collection. Love to hear some of that stuff for sure.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now these look very interesting for only $60. Koss M100 powered monitors a la mtm design. I'm not all that familiar with the brand, but these don't look cheap or low quality to me. Drivers look kinda vintagey but the cabs look nice and well put together. I wouldn't be surprised if these sound pretty nice for the price. It's tempting because they're so cheap but what the hell am I gonna do with a pair of powered monitors?? Any of you guys familiar with Koss?

00T0T_j3tNlFA45WJz_08L087_1200x900.jpg

00x0x_2GxsSEguRHEz_08808k_1200x900.jpg

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Now these look very interesting for only $60. Koss M100 powered monitors a la mtm design. I'm not all that familiar with the brand, but these don't look cheap or low quality to me. Drivers look kinda vintagey but the cabs look nice and well put together. I wouldn't be surprised if these sound pretty nice for the price. It's tempting because they're so cheap but what the hell am I gonna do with a pair of powered monitors?? Any of you guys familiar with Koss?

View attachment 51183

View attachment 51184

Koss is known as a pioneer in Headphones for the consumer market (they called them "Stereophones") . Not really a Loudspeaker leader or even a manufacturer of note for those items.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, I got excited when I saw this. At first glance I thought I found another RBH sub! However it is not.

Instead we have A REL 212SE for $2185. It looks like a lot of sub and retailed for over $4k, but the only fr spec I found for it was -6 dB at 19 hz... in-room. Not exactly groundbreaking. Especially for the price. Sounds about right for REL. It is a pretty sub tho. Dual 12" drivers and dual 12" passive radiators, one downfiring and the other on the back with a 1000 watt amp.

01515_6gQnBiqnVaGz_0Uk1d6_1200x900.jpg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In choosing a sub or multiple subs, you have to consider the size of the room and its or their projected location. For example, in my designed cabinets,for both the left and right front channels, the theoretical frequency response according to BassBox6 Pro, would be -3dB at 20Hz. Due to the fact that they are located close to corners, I get a room gain response of +10dB at 20Hz. EQ definitely has to be applied for a smoother response.

This means that a subwoofer which seems a little bit insufficient at some infrasonic frequencies based on serious reviews, might perform adequately in a small to moderate room size because of room gain and its position near a corner.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How about this Crown CE2000 pro amp guys? I know little about it, but looks like some pretty good power can be coaxed out of it for my sub and it's only $100...

2 ohm stereo (per channel): 975W
4 ohm stereo (per channel): 660W
8 ohm stereo (per channel): 400W
4 ohm bridge-mono: 1950W
8 ohm bridge-mono: 1320W

00202_4V9UxQ4PXy4z_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
How about this Crown CE2000 pro amp guys? I know little about it, but looks like some pretty good power can be coaxed out of it for my sub and it's only $100...

View attachment 51207

If it works, it's worth the money. It might get hot and/or loud though. That sucker also weighs 40 lbs, so it'll be fun to lug around. I'd use it as a back up amp if something else ever died.

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/site_elements/ce-1000-2000-data-sheet

B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
SVS Pb-4000

I found a used PB-4000 local for $1500 and the seller is firm. I have been leaning toward the SVS ultra, Ryhmik FV15HP, PSA EV1812 or Monolith 13” THX ultra, but finding used has been a challenge on any of them. Any thoughts on this sub for 1500? The PB4000 new seems overpriced IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
SVS Pb-4000

I found a used PB-4000 local for $1500 and the seller is firm. I have been leaning toward the SVS ultra, Ryhmik FV15HP, PSA EV1812 or Monolith 13” THX ultra, but finding used has been a challenge on any of them. Any thoughts on this sub for 1500? The PB4000 new seems overpriced IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$1500 seems like a lot, but with recent price increases it's actually not terrible if it's in good shape and working. I've seen @shadyJ say that the PB4000 is pretty close in performance compared to the PB16 Ultra, making it a better bang for buck sub.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

View attachment 51207

A lot of power for $100 and the front face seems to be in good condition. Might need new cables or an adapter if you are not using XLR or 1/4" input jacks on the Behringer. Lots of current at rated power. Says 9.5A at 120V. That's if you run it bridged and push it to the max. Hard to say what actual power usage will be at your typical volume but if you trip a circuit breaker you'll know why. ;) Will likely be ok in normal use. Did you ever have the Behringer checked over to see if the other channel is working?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis