Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I dunno how "good" a deal these are, but I can see them selling for the asking price.

JBL L220 Oracles for $2900!

00i0i_aflniKaRF0bz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00c0c_9MVbjhJiUx3z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00101_2g2mLSZNg3Fz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

They look really nice, great shape. I know that paper can often be the best material for woofer cones but they always just looked on the cheap side to me. It's purely an aesthetic thing, but those cabs look very nice and the whole speakers look nearly pristine.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
WELL...?

:p

Now these are a pretty nice find! They look fully restored, and properly so. $695 for the pair. If they sound as good as they look I'd say this isn't a bad buy for the right guy. I've never heard these before but know of their reputation and a lot of folks love them.

KEF 104/2 Reference speakers!

View attachment 44030View attachment 44034View attachment 44031View attachment 44032View attachment 44033

I haven't even figured out if i can get a ride that far, i ride the bus normally... I might see if he'll deliver for the $200

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I dunno how "good" a deal these are, but I can see them selling for the asking price.

View attachment 44035View attachment 44036View attachment 44037

They look really nice, great shape. I know that paper can often be the best material for woofer cones but they always just looked on the cheap side to me. It's purely an aesthetic thing, but those cabs look very nice and the whole speakers look nearly pristine.
I'd be more likely to get the kefs.. But i need books... It's a bedroom set up.. I could do towers in my other set up , but i like the b1 mods there....with subs i bet they aren't much different than some of Dennis's higher dollar stuff..

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

When listening to them, you would really need to check the soundstage imaging and depth ... and if the bass is tight or not

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Damn these RBH 61-SEs! They just won't go away! I think the piss poor ad is what's preventing the sale of these. You can barely see them and there are multiple speakers in the image! I'm so tempted to make an offer!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know a thing about these, but could possibly be a nice find. Hughes Klayman SRS 33 planar speakers from the Hughes corporation (yes, the airplane guys!). I guess only a few hundred were produced then they decided to get out of the speaker business. I don't know what year these are but they look brand new still. $325!

01111_5fxhXpdIXQoz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
01616_laLH4Ck3n96z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Any of you guys ever listened to these before? They appear to be a legit effort to make a good speaker and I'd guess relatively rare?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
So, I like you, seem to enjoy checking out the Craigslist ads. Although at this point I have managed to fill each room where I have a system with complete sets that aren't necessary first class but are good and would be expensive to replace.

So what's your rule of thumb in buying a set of speakers you don't need just for the fun of buying something new and playing around with speakers that might go straight to the closet :) Do you have a limit to what you will spend for those for fun purchases or do you only buy if it's going to replace what you have in one of your systems?

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
More than I wanna spend at $2150, but these Dynaudio Special 40s look pretty sweet. The red finish really pops.

View attachment 44127View attachment 44128View attachment 44129View attachment 44130

I've heard nothing but good about these speakers.
He's got some wishful thinking going on..

J

jmm22

Enthusiast
Is Phoenix the hifi hotspot? I’ve been looking for some deals in NYC Craigslist and only find crappy, run of the mill stuff.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Is Phoenix the hifi hotspot? I’ve been looking for some deals in NYC Craigslist and only find crappy, run of the mill stuff.
No.. There are some good deals , but there are more "not so good" deals...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Keeping with the RBH theme I found these too. 61-SE books also for $200. Another nice deal for speakers I don't need!

View attachment 43952

Just came back to the thread....these look more interesting than the DTs that brought me here.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
So, I like you, seem to enjoy checking out the Craigslist ads. Although at this point I have managed to fill each room where I have a system with complete sets that aren't necessary first class but are good and would be expensive to replace.

So what's your rule of thumb in buying a set of speakers you don't need just for the fun of buying something new and playing around with speakers that might go straight to the closet :) Do you have a limit to what you will spend for those for fun purchases or do you only buy if it's going to replace what you have in one of your systems?
Start at 1/2 of retail and work down price wise...

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Just came back to the thread....these look more interesting than the DTs that brought me here.
We've been jones ing over those for a few days.. They are a good deal, but i don't need em.. If they weren't 30 miles away i might bite though...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I haven't bought for fun in quite a while, but I still love looking for new stuff. At this point I'm just keeping an eye out for that one in a thousand unicorn being sold cheap by someone who just wants it gone. The last craigslist speakers I got were my Sierra 2s for 650, which is a lot, but they retail for a lot more and I knew them by reputation. I figured worst case scenario I could resell them and make a profit. I ended up liking them so much I put my Ultras up for sale and got the Sierra ribbon towers and matching center.

Even selling my Ultras that's a pretty good chunk of change so I've been cooling my heels on splurge buying speakers ever since. Helps keep the peace with Mrs Pogre too... Still having fun looking tho, and these RBH 61-SEs are almost enough to tempt me if he'd take 150. I only say that because I think I can clean them up, take much nicer pictures and resell them for 200 after I'm done checking them out (or keep them if I love them!).

Now if I were to find something like these KEF R3s for $200-$500 bucks in good shape I'll drop everything and run out to buy them.

Deals like that are almost nonexistent so I don't see me getting anything anytime soon. I'll buy some cheap-cheap fixer uppers if I can source parts too. I bought a pair of beat up PhaseTech towers for ten dollars. Spent 50 to replace both a tweeter and driver, and another 15 for used cloth covers. I still need to finish the tops but they look pretty decent and work great now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I keep seeing them too! I'm so tempted to offer $150 for them. I think I could get them all shined up, snap off 8 or 10 much more flattering pics and resell them for profit if I decide not to keep them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No.. There are some good deals , but there are more "not so good" deals...
You have to sift through a lot of crap but there are always at least 1000 hits when I do a search and narrow it down.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I haven't bought for fun in quite a while, but I still love looking for new stuff. At this point I'm just keeping an eye out for that one in a thousand unicorn being sold cheap by someone who just wants it gone. The last craigslist speakers I got were my Sierra 2s for 650, which is a lot, but they retail for a lot more and I knew them by reputation. I figured worst case scenario I could resell them and make a profit. I ended up liking them so much I put my Ultras up for sale and got the Sierra ribbon towers and matching center.

Even selling my Ultras that's a pretty good chunk of change so I've been cooling my heels on splurge buying speakers ever since. Helps keep the peace with Mrs Pogre too... Still having fun looking tho, and these RBH 61-SEs are almost enough to tempt me if he'd take 150. I only say that because I think I can clean them up, take much nicer pictures and resell them for 200 after I'm done checking them out (or keep them if I love them!).

Now if I were to find something like these KEF R3s for $200-$500 bucks in good shape I'll drop everything and run out to buy them.

Deals like that are almost nonexistent so I don't see me getting anything anytime soon. I'll buy some cheap-cheap fixer uppers if I can source parts too. I bought a pair of beat up PhaseTech towers for ten dollars. Spent 50 to replace both a tweeter and driver, and another 15 for used cloth covers. I still need to finish the tops but they look pretty decent and work great now.
I have done real well finding those diamonds in the rough with electronics. I got an audiocontrol panteges AMP for $100 (5x200) It's good.

Got an Emotiva xpa5 2nd gen for $400

It's a lot of fun when you can nab that great deal I admit that and I do think it's worth it. I have passed on several things I regret as well. And it's funny you still question why you didn't buy it even though what I have is probably better now :)

But for goodness sakes just offer the guy $150 and lets get on with it :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis