Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Plus I have to cook dinner, rush hour is about to start and it's single lane traffic for a pretty good stretch to get there. I've seen traffic backed up a half mile from the first couple of lights going into town this time of day.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Plus I have to cook dinner, rush hour is about to start and it's single lane traffic for a pretty good stretch to get there. I've seen traffic backed up a half mile from the first couple of lights going into town this time of day.
Az sucks sometimes..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Az sucks sometimes..
Ha. Yup, sometimes. The rush hour struggle is real tho, and it is single lane to get there for a long stretch. I just set it up for earlier tomorrow afternoon, right after lunch. He said he'd be there. I know those are well worth it. I see the Bookshelf versions on Craigslist for 80-100 bucks pretty often and they always sell. I think it's an older guy, he's downsizing and just wants to get them a new home. They look well taken care of and he said they sound awesome.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hard to beat the price and 15 miles is better than 40 miles
I knew you'd think so! You're who clued me into that series and got me to research. The IL10 even measured pretty well for ASR!

Of course he still didn't like it :rolleyes:, but at least he acknowledged a nice fr....

Anyhoo, I guess Dr Toole even favors this series and had a hand in the design.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Ha. Yup, sometimes. The rush hour struggle is real tho, and it is single lane to get there for a long stretch. I just set it up for earlier tomorrow afternoon, right after lunch. He said he'd be there. I know those are well worth it. I see the Bookshelf versions on Craigslist for 80-100 bucks pretty often and they always sell. I think it's an older guy, he's downsizing and just wants to get them a new home. They look well taken care of and he said they sound awesome.
I'm glad you decided to get them..i think it'll work out well... I am getting a jones for those rbh's, but, transportation isn't my ally... I think i' ll just wait till something pops close by...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm glad you decided to get them..i think it'll work out well... I am getting a jones for those rbh's, but, transportation isn't my ally... I think i' ll just wait till something pops close by...
Those look good too, but 30 for the IL30s is a lot easier for me to part with, and it might be closer too. I know I can resell those for double what I'm paying easy. Easy-easy. I'm more in town so I'm closer for everyone outside of Queencreek, which is most of the east valley.

Going back through the interwebs looking up info and refreshing my memory is getting me kind of stoked to get those IL30s. Those measurements from ASR are really good! Just little tiny nitpick about distortion numbers but they look very neutral.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Those look good too, but 30 for the IL30s is a lot easier for me to part with, and it might be closer too. I know I can resell those for double what I'm paying easy. Easy-easy. I'm more in town so I'm closer for everyone outside of Queencreek, which is most of the east valley.

Going back through the interwebs looking up info and refreshing my memory is getting me kind of stoked to get those IL30s. Those measurements from ASR are really good! Just little tiny nitpick about distortion numbers but they look very neutral.
I wasn't blowin' smoke when i suggested you might like them..they have a fan base to this day...

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I knew you'd think so! You're who clued me into that series and got me to research. The IL10 even measured pretty well for ASR!

Of course he still didn't like it :rolleyes:, but at least he acknowledged a nice fr....
He doesn't like much of any speaker ... I only use his measurements as some sort of guide, but his ears belong to him and for many not the final word ... maybe you can get out there tomorrow, at least you can flip them if the drivers are OK.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He doesn't like much of any speaker ... I only use his measurements as some sort of guide, but his ears belong to him and for many not the final word ... maybe you can get out there tomorrow, at least you can flip them if the drivers are OK.
From him, I consider that a pretty glowing review, lol.

I flipped through the other pics in the ad and they look mint to me. The guy told me they're well cared for and like new still. I believe him. I'll give them a listen to be sure, but I think they're gonna pass and I'll be coming home with them tomorrow.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
From him, I consider that a pretty glowing review, lol.

I flipped through the other pics in the ad and they look mint to me. The guy told me they're well cared for and like new still. I believe him. I'll give them a listen to be sure, but I think they're gonna pass and I'll be coming home with them tomorrow.
they're worth listening to in your set up (as long as all the drivers play clean).. especially as HT fronts ...i get the feeling you stumbled into a great dual use bargain...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well... I got there and he put some music on. I immediately noticed a tweeter wasn't playing, damnit. After a thirty minute drive that was aggravating. I offered him 10 bucks, thinking a tweeter ought not be too hard to find and he accepted. I get them home, take the biamp jumpers off, wire the tweeters only and they both work just fine! I put the jumpers back on, hooked them back up and I'm listening right now. Aside from the Sierras these might be the best sounding craigslist speakers I've found yet. Especially in the ten dollar price range! I was disappointed and ready to start looking for a replacement tweeter, now I'm tickled pink!

4600_copy_540x720.jpeg
4602_copy_644x858_copy_540x719.jpeg
4604_copy_644x859.jpeg

4605.jpeg

4601_copy_644x483.jpeg

They're in really good shape too. A minor scuff on one cabinet but other than that they're good. I'm tripping over how much bass they're putting out. I know I'm getting some room gain where they're at right now, but those woofers are hopping!

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well... I got there and he put some music on. I immediately noticed a tweeter wasn't playing, damnit. After a thirty minute drive that was aggravating. I offered him 10 bucks, thinking a tweeter ought not be too hard to find and he accepted. I get them home, take the biamp jumpers off, wire the tweeters only and they both work just fine! I put the jumpers back on, hooked them back up and I'm listening right now. Aside from the Sierras these might be the best sounding craigslist speakers I've found yet. Especially in the ten dollar price range! I was disappointed and ready to start looking for a replacement tweeter, now I'm tickled pink!

View attachment 44304View attachment 44305View attachment 44306View attachment 44307View attachment 44308

They're in really good shape too. A minor scuff on one cabinet but other than that they're good. I'm tripping over how much bass they're putting out. I know I'm getting some room gain where they're at right now, but those woofers are hopping!
I'll give you $15 delivery included.

Also, which model is that? Those older tower Infinity speakers all had a pretty good rep. I don't think I've ever gotten to hear any.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll give you $15 delivery included.

Also, which model is that? Those older tower Infinity speakers all had a pretty good rep. I don't think I've ever gotten to hear any.
They're IL30s, and yes they have a pretty good rep. I read somewhere that Dr Toole said the IL series was one of his favorites in the price range. They're very neutral sounding to my ear and producing more bass than I expected based on specs. They're in a small space right now tho so I must be getting some room gain. ASR measured the Bookshelf version and they do indeed look like a very neutral speaker.

I think he musta had a loose jumper on the one speaker when we listened at his place because they're both working great now, after having messed with them a little once I got them home.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I think he musta had a loose jumper on the one speaker when we listened at his place because they're both working great now, after having messed with them a little once I got them home.
He does not seem to know much about speakers ... those if working properly at the time should sell for $150 ... the best deal you ever made

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He does not seem to know much about speakers ... those if working properly at the time should sell for $150 ... the best deal you ever made
Thanks, yeah, I'm pretty happy.

He didn't even notice a tweeter was out! At least he pretended not to notice... he definitely undervalued them.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief

View attachment 44304View attachment 44305View attachment 44306View attachment 44307View attachment 44308

They look nice too

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Thanks, yeah, I'm pretty happy.

He didn't even notice a tweeter was out! At least he pretended not to notice... he definitely undervalued them.
If you decide to unload them quick , let me know..i might bite...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you decide to unload them quick , let me know..i might bite...
I'll give you first dibs, but these might be keepers.

I have them in my den, right next to the living room, hooked up to a little Denon S510BT. I was just gonna listen to a song or two and the next thing I know I'm sitting on the floor in front of them for an hour, flipping through songs. I really like these. I think they have that "it" factor I usually hear with more expensive speakers. Very neutral and easy to listen to. Good soundstage and imaging, all the usual superlatives for good speakers. I might have to set these up in my bedroom, which currently has nothing right now anyway.

They're not perfect, my comments are based on their original retail. They don't quite have the same resolution as a high end speaker and they get a little fuzzy when I turn them up really loud (listening to them full range), but I think they're well worth what they retailed for new and they still hold up even now with newer speakers. They're nicely balanced, detailed and very clean sounding. They put out more clean bass with 6.5" drivers than my PhaseTech 7Ts and those have 8" woofers.

These were an absolute score. Stuff like this makes all the time scouring craigslist worth it for me.

*Edit: @Kleinst

Last edited:
L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I'll give you first dibs, but these might be keepers.

I have them in my den, right next to the living room, hooked up to a little Denon S510BT. I was just gonna listen to a song or two and the next thing I know I'm sitting on the floor in front of them for an hour, flipping through songs. I really like these. I think they have that "it" factor I usually hear with more expensive speakers. Very neutral and easy to listen to. Good soundstage and imaging, all the usual superlatives for good speakers. I might have to set these up in my bedroom, which currently has nothing right now anyway.

They're not perfect, my comments are based on their original retail. They don't quite have the same resolution as a high end speaker and they get a little fuzzy when I turn them up really loud (listening to them full range), but I think they're well worth what they retailed for new and they still hold up even now with newer speakers. They're nicely balanced, detailed and very clean sounding. They put out more clean bass with 6.5" drivers than my PhaseTech 7Ts and those have 8" woofers.

These were an absolute score. Stuff like this makes all the time scouring craigslist worth it for me.

*Edit: @Kleinst
That sounds a lot like the jbl 5 series... Enjoy them... :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis