Are These Finds Good Deals?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
My guess is they might work really well, but tricky to blend. Do like a high pass at maybe 40 hz and let my Hsus pick up the rest?
In your system? Nah - between your SVS towers and Hsu subs, I would think you're covered!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
A buddy of mine sent these pics to me of a pair of KLH Model 2055s he found at a Goodwill. Looks like 50 bones for the pair. I don't know much about them aside from at least one of those woofers are passive radiators.
Those are the cheap KLH -- not much going on with that pair

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What on earth am I looking at here?! "Optimus Pro-LX511". Normally this would be a hard pass, but for 25 bucks? Are they rare, or rare garbage? lol

00F0F_kDvcydFVAff_300x300.jpg

00909_bgoTwbsxfel_300x300.jpg

Another interesting pair. M&K S-1Bs. I don't want them for $250, but find them curious.
00h0h_hfdAVBgSxx7_300x300.jpg

00r0r_k8mt31OnCAs_300x300.jpg

00K0K_asq27sfMo19_300x300.jpg

And finally, these Infinity IL10s look to have been reduced to $120.
01717_fTcmJAsiA6L_600x450.jpg

00000_jkge8emqLCJ_600x450.jpg

01414_3nWTd7HvwdK_600x450.jpg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What on earth am I looking at here?! "Optimus Pro-LX511". Normally this would be a hard pass, but for 25 bucks? Are they rare, or rare garbage? lol

View attachment 35343
View attachment 35344

Another interesting pair. M&K S-1Bs. I don't want them for $250, but find them curious.
View attachment 35347
View attachment 35345
View attachment 35346

View attachment 35348
View attachment 35349
View attachment 35350
Back in the late ‘80s, early 90s, those optimus speakers had some “good” reviews. I still have a pair, used... and my dad has a pair ‘new-in-box.’
The lineaum tweeter apparently became a bit of a cult thing with some doing anything they could to mod it into other builds.
Those should have a metal mesh cage on top.
Also, Dennis has a upgrade IIRC on his MurphyBlaster site (for one of the models).
I get a photo of mine in a bit. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The model I have is the LX5

1586626400297.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The model I have is the LX5

View attachment 35354
Those are some ugly looking charts...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those are some ugly looking charts...
true 'dat! :)

I think back then, these were easy-ish to come by and punched a little above their weight.

The cultish aspect, whether deserved or not, is a thing, though. :p

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai

View attachment 35347
View attachment 35345

Those Miller & Kreisel speakers would be the pick of the litter, actually. Quite good, and a decent bargain. They can take serious power and go loud, well.

BTW, they are really meant for surround sound, and very specific to being aimed at the listener. Move off-axis in the vertical plane and they fall apart, soundwise.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those Miller & Kreisel speakers would be the pick of the litter, actually. Quite good, and a decent bargain. They can take serious power and go loud, well.

BTW, they are really meant for surround sound, and very specific to being aimed at the listener. Move off-axis in the vertical plane and they fall apart, soundwise.
They do look very interesting. I've read positive things about M&K, but they're not the type of speakers you see very often or have a chance to listen to.

So would you say they're somewhat similar to planar speakers when it comes to the imaging? Absolutely wonderful on axis, but falls apart when you move or stand up? Do you think they'd work as mains?

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
Klipsch is doing 25% off every thing right now. If you guys care for that brand?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Klipsch is doing 25% off every thing right now. If you guys care for that brand?
There are a few Klipsch fans among us. I didn't know they were running a sale tho!

If you scroll through here tho, you'll see this is more of a craigslist thing where I'm looking for that unicorn. You know, little old lady from Pasadena inherits some 10,000 dollar speakers, has no clue what they are and just wants them out of the garage for fifty bucks!

There's some powerful wishful thinking happening in this thread, but those deals do come up from time to time, and I'll never find one if I never look!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
They do look very interesting. I've read positive things about M&K, but they're not the type of speakers you see very often or have a chance to listen to.

So would you say they're somewhat similar to planar speakers when it comes to the imaging? Absolutely wonderful on axis, but falls apart when you move or stand up? Do you think they'd work as mains?
No idea. All I do know is that the Vifa tweeters and Seas woofers are high-quality components and M&K built good speakers for running home theater all day at reference levels.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Dang I miss my thrifts store finds. :p:( Hopefully they will open soon and then I can only browse. Still fun.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 35343
The Optimus Pro LX5 are not garbage, but nothing really stands out as far as detail and imaging .... they are for non critical listening and good for background music listening .... worth the $25 and better than TV speakers

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Optimus Pro LX5 are not garbage, but nothing really stands out as far as detail and imaging .... they are for non critical listening and good for background music listening .... worth the $25 and better than TV speakers
This. :)
For kicks, I found this review yesterday, too:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Polk Audio RT1000P for €500?
Crap or reasonable?
Seems a little bit steep to me. Not a whole lot about them online with a quick search, but the powered bass sections would make me leery too. Especially with an older used speaker like that. Some mixed user reviews here.

Always take user reviews with a grain of salt, but you can sometimes get a feel reading through the comments. Such as "they are easily worth $1000" (in the year 2000)... With some exceptions 20 year old speakers don't usually retain that much value.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis