Are These Finds Good Deals?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe these?

These are what I used for surrounds for a loooong time until I sold them to mr boat.

And these, not 590’s but...

Tried to find some S-312’s but nope. Peng said if they were his he’d never sell them and me boat said they sounded very much like the 590’s his friend has. I really would like to try the 590’s some time. 600 for a pair of 580’s seems crazy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe these?

These are what I used for surrounds for a loooong time until I sold them to mr boat.

And these, not 590’s but...

Tried to find some S-312’s but nope. Peng said if they were his he’d never sell them and me boat said they sounded very much like the 590’s his friend has. I really would like to try the 590’s some time. 600 for a pair of 580’s seems crazy.
See, I would have passed on the S38s just based on how they look. Those 580s now tho... damn good deal there. My goal is to find something like that on ex-wife revenge sale for a hundred bucks or even less! I know how unlikely that is, but those deals exist. It's kinda like playing the lottery, only for free. You can't win if you don't play. That's why I take the time to look every so often.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, they're definitely the nicest I've come across and are actually good deals but waaaayyy out of my budget range, lol. I keep hoping to stumble across a pair of Infinity Kappa 8s or something for $50.
Time you go to your local thrift store. Rah. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, they're definitely the nicest I've come across and are actually good deals but waaaayyy out of my budget range, lol. I keep hoping to stumble across a pair of Infinity Kappa 8s or something for $50.
Hey bro in a universe as wacky and wonderful as ours I agree you can find those dream deals!!!!
I feel like we're in an episode of X Files... The truth is out there!!!!! :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
See, I would have passed on the S38s just based on how they look. Those 580s now tho... damn good deal there. My goal is to find something like that on ex-wife revenge sale for a hundred bucks or even less! I know how unlikely that is, but those deals exist. It's kinda like playing the lottery, only for free. You can't win if you don't play. That's why I take the time to look every so often.
I can see what you mean by the looks(mine were black ash) on the 38’s. I have to say though, they have crazy imaging and sound really good overall.

Huh, I wonder, is there an ex wife revenge sale site? Now that would be some shiit!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can see what you mean by the looks(mine were black ash) on the 38’s. I have to say though, they have crazy imaging and sound really good overall.

Huh, I wonder, is there an ex wife revenge sale site? Now that would be some shiit!
Well, the looks and my lack of experience with them. I wouldn't have even known they were JBL, lol. Hence the creation of this thread. I've learned of a few different lines to look out for when I search. I can add these to the list too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

So how would they work as mains in a system? I'm sure they'll need a li'l sub help, but they look competent enough to handle main duty. Or are they specifically designed for surrounds?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So how would they work as mains in a system? I'm sure they'll need a li'l sub help, but they look competent enough to handle main duty. Or are they specifically designed for surrounds?
Iirc they’re designed after some of their monitors. Definitely need a subwoofer, but are nice and punchy. Back when I used em as surrounds in 5.x, I was routinely amazed at all the stuff I heard behind me. And when I tried them as mains, found a real nice sense of space and imaging.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also, I used them horizontal with the tweeters at the outside edge. They do work standing vertically and the JBL logo rotated to accommodate lol. They’re 88db so pretty easy to drive. You could probably pm mrboat for a less biased opinion although he assured me that he enjoyed them very much.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, I used them horizontal with the tweeters at the outside edge. They do work standing vertically and the JBL logo rotated to accommodate lol. They’re 88db so pretty easy to drive. You could probably pm mrboat for a less biased opinion although he assured me that he enjoyed them very much.
I found a review with some measurements. They do look like they would sound pretty nice, if with some slightly exaggerated bass. 8" woofer too and the reviewer claimed he was getting usable bass down into the high 30s.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just found a pair of working B&W DM2000s for 200 bucks.

I did a little digging. They're not the typical B&W speaker and look kind of hopeful. I've never heard of 'em tho...
*Bump

Anyone know anything about these? Hard pass? They're selling for a lot more elsewhere...

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
*Bump

Anyone know anything about these? Hard pass? They're selling for a lot more elsewhere...
Those look like fun! in 1986, I was after the Polk Audio Monitor 7 - the B&Ws were out of my reach. $200 looks like a good price to me to just fool around...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those look like fun! in 1986, I was after the Polk Audio Monitor 7 - the B&Ws were out of my reach. $200 looks like a good price to me to just fool around...
He mentions parting them out in he ad and I know he's not wrong, if you can find that guy looking for the parts, lol. They look like they were close to flagship design for the day. I don't know how much the cracked glass devalues them tho, or if these for some reason or another are straight up garbage.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
He mentions parting them out in he ad and I know he's not wrong, if you can find that guy looking for the parts, lol. They look like they were close to flagship design for the day. I don't know how much the cracked glass devalues them tho, or if these for some reason or another are straight up garbage.
Yup - someone selling on the E of Bays for $320, parts only...

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I had some Polk model 7B's in the early 80s. Great sound especially voices. Sold them when a good friend who was moving gave me his DCM Time Windows.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
*Bump

I wouldn't purchase them. The series has, for as long as I can remember, had bloated bass and hot treble. This again is subjective. I have 2 pairs of DM series sitting in a closet because I bought on reputation FWIW.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
KEF mystery speakers for 80 bucks. That all the description there is, along with this single photo...

Screenshot_2020-01-25-19-49-13-640x1024.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis