Are These Finds Good Deals?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
The White Van stuff has been all over Craigslist for a long, long time. The only change is that they went from junky stereo speakers to even junkier surround sound systems to even junkier projectors.
Oh hell yeah best place if you’re looking for “hot” Stuff to buy not just audio gear. I brought a car 07 mustang long store short car Originally came from Texas. Car was Involved in a flood here in louisiana. Then it was used as a Rent to own car at a car lot used car dealer. I had to pay for 3 Title transfers plus mine to get it in my name on the Title. Well after a few months I did a title search on the National government site. Inputted the VIN nothing came up. So I went to lpok at the VIN under the front Windshield same VIN I had on the Title and registration. Here is where you’ll find the Correct Vin. The Engine had its Own ID when Traced back to where the car or truck is built you can match up the Engine ID with the Vin number from Fords website. and Walla! Car was Stolen car was in a Accident also was Impounded to a used car lot, wrecking yard. They filed for a rebuilt title. Craigslist is where very Shady and organize crime has been known to post poop up in there so don’t be surprised if yiu shop on there and get caught up with some bullsh$t.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Seems like The Magnavox is f up. Get it! Run knock people out of the way. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Gonna swing by and pick up those Kefs in a little while. The conversation was kind of funny, lol.

Screenshot_2020-05-12-07-36-58-1_copy_771x660.png
Screenshot_2020-05-12-07-37-12-1_copy_771x425.png

I can shmooze! He said he'd take 30 for the KEF C75s! I'll be heading there this afternoon.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Niiiiiice........
Curious if he’s that much of a knob in person.
He was kind of a twat about it, wasn't he? Took him about three hours to reply back after I told him I knew roughly where he lived, lol. But hey, he came back and told me he'd take 30 just for the KEFs. I figure if even one driver is good out of those I could make my money back for that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
He was kind of a twat about it, wasn't he? Took him about three hours to reply back after I told him I knew roughly where he lived, lol. But hey, he came back and told me he'd take 30 just for the KEFs. I figure if even one driver is good out of those I could make my money back for that.
YeH seems like it was worth messin with. Plus a money back gare own tee!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
YeH seems like it was worth messin with. Plus a money back gare own tee!
Plus I'll tell you, my main motivation is, I've never listened to a Kef speaker before. I know these are older, but they do have the uni q driver in them. I'm really curious to hear them. Aren't they basically the polar opposite of Raal tweeters?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So far so good. The KEF C75s seem to be playing just fine without misbehaving. Different. At first I no likey, but they're growing on me. They are capable of disappearing, pretty good detail, imaging is very good, bass is a bit muddy. Digging the Uni Q more than I thought I would. Makes me wanna hear something more current.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They're smaller than I expected. I was expecting floorstanders but these aren't quite there (like my "stands"? :p). The really do sound pretty good! He had the grilles too but the cloth is shot. Frames are good tho so I could try my hand at reclothing. Some small marks on the cabs. Other than that there's nothing a little cleaning can't fix. These might be my favorite cheapo craigslist find yet!

435.jpeg

Oh, they're sealed too! I wasn't expecting that either.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
They're smaller than I expected. I was expecting floorstanders but these aren't quite there (like my "stands"? :p). The really do sound pretty good! He had the grilles too but the cloth is shot. Frames are good tho so I could try my hand at reclothing. Some small marks on the cabs. Other than that there's nothing a little cleaning can't fix. These might be my favorite cheapo craigslist find yet!

View attachment 36113

Oh, they're sealed too! I wasn't expecting that either.
Shady suggested perpendicular with KEF, previously. He described them then as having good dispersion. This was in response to my previous experience with listening fatigue from the newer models I auditioned 2 winters ago.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Cool! Sound like a good time for $30 (that you'll end up getting back and then some)!
I like your speaker "lifts"!
Aren't they basically the polar opposite of Raal tweeters?
I may have said something along those lines. The RAAL (as implemented by Murphy and I don't think Dave would do it different) has a fairly broad polar dispersion while the mid-range speaker cone around the tweeter acts as a fairly aggressive wave guide. It amounts to control over the ratio of direct vs reflected sound you hear!
...and, of course, how much things change when you move off axis!
What size is the woofer?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Shady suggested perpendicular with KEF, previously. He described them then as having good dispersion. This was in response to my previous experience with listening fatigue from the newer models I auditioned 2 winters ago.
LOL!
I dunno!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Cool! Sound like a good time for $30 (that you'll end up getting back and then some)!
I like your speaker "lifts"!

I may have said something along those lines. The RAAL (as implemented by Murphy and I don't think Dave would do it different) has a fairly broad polar dispersion while the mid-range speaker cone around the tweeter acts as a fairly aggressive wave guide. It amounts to control over the ratio of direct vs reflected sound you hear!
...and, of course, how much things change when you move off axis!
What size is the woofer?
Pretty sure they're 8" drivers. I'm just now starting a deep dive on them and info is sparse. I don't think the bottom woofer is passive, but I s'pose it could be. Only 1 set of binding posts.

Tell you what, it doesn't seem to take as much power for them to get pretty loud. They're worth the 30 bucks to me just in fun factor right now. They really do sound pretty decent!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here we go...
Screenshot_2020-05-12-16-26-03.png

That's a screenie from the owner's manual pdf. The model I just got are the C75s. Looks like they are indeed 3 way speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just hooked the Sierra 2s back up so I can start cleaning the C75s. Wow. What a difference in the way they present the same music. It's actually jarring! I was getting used to the Kefs and didn't even notice it, lol.

I know it's overused, but... night and day difference in soundstage and imaging. This is turning into a lesson for me on the advantages and disadvantages of wide dispersion vs more focused.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is the LS50 at 45, 60(?) and 75º off axis:
1589328688777.png

Not too shabby, really, for the UniQ driver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis