Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
JBL sure loves their horns! They've also been in the game forever and have made some of the best speakers in the world. I can imagine they'd blow my balls off if I heard the those Synthesis Array speakers. I know it doesn't hurt anything but those drips around the dust cap always make the drivers look kinda cheap. What's up with that anyway? It's not just JBL, a lot of speakers have that. Especially vintage.
They are unbelievable the top horn section bolts on . Now I’ve found the top horns for sale as pairs for 1.250 apiece Iam very tempted to get these and build the bottom end myself useing there specs .
Boy, that sounds pretty doable actually. I'd make sure you can source the parts for the bottom half first, but that'd be a great way to save a few bucks and end up with some stellar speakers.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
They are unbelievable the top horn section bolts on . Now I’ve found the top horns for sale as pairs for 1.250 apiece Iam very tempted to get these and build the bottom end myself useing there specs .
These are the same just a slight difference in the cab these are made to stack on top of a good bass cabinet of your size and choice same drivers as the S1400 array and the Synthesis 880 array center I have . I’ve seen these used in a line array stacked 3 high on top of duel 15 inch sub enclosures a bit extreme even for my taste lol but these by themselves would make a great home build project with a good pro based bass driver .
These are available threw the same guy I got the center from too I’ll see where Iam at in the spring and see where everything is in the world is I could spend all winter in my wood shop and build the bass cabs Iam seriously considering trying to do a 4 way build with these as the top end and an 8 inch mid and a 12 to 15 inch bass either way big dollar’s if I build or just buy the S-1400 .

Attachments

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
JBL sure loves their horns! They've also been in the game forever and have made some of the best speakers in the world. I can imagine they'd blow my balls off if I heard the those Synthesis Array speakers. I know it doesn't hurt anything but those drips around the dust cap always make the drivers look kinda cheap. What's up with that anyway? It's not just JBL, a lot of speakers have that. Especially vintage.

Boy, that sounds pretty doable actually. I'd make sure you can source the parts for the bottom half first, but that'd be a great way to save a few bucks and end up with some stellar speakers.
My thoughts exactly I can source the bass drivers from jbl or Madisound and I’ve a friend that is a really good with modeling of crossovers and components and he’s the only guy I know close that can build that and test it . Iam 50/50 on the idea .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So these Infinity 2000s caught my eye because they're only ten bucks. Turns out the tweets are blown so not interested, but they did raise a question about speakers in general I've been wondering about. The cabs look halfway decent on these with radiused edges and solid looking build.

00y0y_geVT3iCU8uyz_0B30t2_600x450.jpg

00E0E_lf2AW4nHvTz_0BI0t2_600x450.jpg

Then I get to a rear view and see the spring clips.

00H0H_jX4THKNIP2fz_0B00t2_600x450.jpg

To me the cheapo spring clips are an automatic hard pass. Is that a pretty good rule of thumb? Do spring clips in general mean cheapo speakers or might I be putting too much weight on it?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That's an interesting question. It's the driver that makes the speaker, but off hand I can't think of any good speakers that use spring clips. They are on the cheaper stuff these days but were pretty common 3 decades ago and also appear on a lot of name brand vintage receivers, so I don't think it would be a hard pass for me. They do make some decent speaker plugs for spring clip terminals now which are less likely to pull free compared to bare speaker wire.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
So these Infinity 2000s caught my eye because they're only ten bucks. Turns out the tweets are blown so not interested, but they did raise a question about speakers in general I've been wondering about. The cabs look halfway decent on these with radiused edges and solid looking build.

View attachment 50223

View attachment 50224

Then I get to a rear view and see the spring clips.

View attachment 50225

To me the cheapo spring clips are an automatic hard pass. Is that a pretty good rule of thumb? Do spring clips in general mean cheapo speakers or might I be putting too much weight on it?
I think in general a lot of manufacturers used spring clips from that era it wasn’t till I’d say late 80’s I started seeing 5 -way binding posts although those did come on very high end lines then .

I’ve had jbl’s versions of spring clips on several models they we’re round post type they worked very good and I’ve had this type on different types I wasn’t a fan of them I just never thought they held the wire very good and little surface contact area .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can always change a spring clip terminal to a multi binding post type but I've got no particular issues with spring type as long as they can retain the connection....have had a coupla weak ones that didn't but most of my speakers acquired in recent years have multi binding posts already installed. I have spring clips on the old JBL 4311Bs I bought not too long ago, but they hold the wires just fine so no need.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Nice book-matched veneer on those cabs but where did they find a tweeter that big?!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, check out those specs! 20-20kHz +/- 1dB

Specifications
  • Freq. Range: 20Hz to 20kHz +/-1dB
  • Crossover Frequencies: 200Hz-1200Hz (8th.LKRY electro/acoustic)
  • (200Hz LKRY-HP. 1100Hz 6th BTW LP electro/acoustic)
  • Sensitivity: 95db/2.83V/1M
  • Impedance: Nominal 4 ohms (min 2.5
  • Ohms @ 290Hz Max 30 Ohms at 3kHz)
  • Driver Complement:
  • LF 2 x 18” woofers
  • MF 2 x 12” mid-range
  • HF 1 x 6” Ribbon Driver
  • Weight: 490 Lbs
  • Dimensions: 81”H x 26″W x 27.5”D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com