Are These Finds Good Deals?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
ASR has measurements for the Canton Plus GXL.3, which is the closest model I can find to compare to the Canton Plus GX speakers pictured above. Rather poor dispersion in the upper band, so may not be well suited for surrounds. The cabinets are plastic and are typical of what you would see in a bar or restaurant (these came out of a clothing retail shop). Might be ok for desktop use and for front heights, but not sure if I'll go through the trouble of changing surrounds. I do have wall mounting hardware for all 4 but I'm not expecting too much out of these.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well, they are basically mine now. :) She has had them for months and was going to sell them but did not know their worth. Apartment was getting cluttered so the deal was that when I gave her the KEFs she would sell the Marantz and her old towers and I would take the Cantons and sell them for her. Just need to give her fair value but being a dad I will likely over pay. ;)

The AS 85.2 SC subs have a 9" driver, 200 watts RMS (250W max) and rated 25Hz to 200Hz. That model has been replaced by the AS 85.3. Translating the specs from German, this looks like a pretty decent sub in a small form factor. 25Hz is not terribly deep, but typical for something in the 480 Euro (C$715 US$566) price range. The woofer has an aluminum graphite cone, magnesium die-cast frame and copper coils. The grills are acoustically transparent aluminum (like the Arendals). The box is flat white MDF with gloss white metal trim on the front. It is quite attractive for a small sub. The tall slender form factor makes this a nice option for the living room where aesthetics are important. Build quality looks to be pretty good. I'm tempted to swap out my SVS for the dual Cantons just for fun and see how they perform but I want to get REW setup first so that I can do some measurements as well.
I bet they will do well. My Energy are 27 and 33hz and they shake my couch dail in at vol 11 o'clock! Fun and wait to hear your thoughts.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh boy, way too much for me but I know a couple of you guys might drool over these. JBL Synthesis S3900 with the matching Synthesis Array center for $8k!

00c0c_64u1hHamjTRz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_jae0mUs9N2fz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Isn't that the center you just got @Mark E. Long?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh boy, way too much for me but I know a couple of you guys might drool over these. JBL Synthesis S3900 with the matching Synthesis Array center for $8k!

View attachment 50177

View attachment 50178

Now that's something I'd love to hear. I've always like JBL.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd love to check those out but Cave Creek is a pretty good drive for me.

I found these today too, a much earlier version of Polk's L800 SDA speakers for $1200. They even have the cable you connect between the 2 for the SDA effect.

00X0X_jbAHfdQw12Zz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

I found these today too, a much earlier version of Polk's L800 SDA speakers for $1200. They even have the cable you connect between the 2 for the SDA effect.

View attachment 50179

That'd be interesting to hear too. Especially the newer version. $1200 though?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai

View attachment 50179

Smaller SDA 2s for $350 in the DFW area. I love how the old Polk speakers sound (at least from my memory of several decades ago). No need (or room!) for them but it would be a fun audition.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
All of these beautiful big cabinets makes me want to move the entertainment centre upstairs and get something more compact so that I can fit bigger speakers. :D

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

View attachment 50177

View attachment 50178

Yes it is and those S- 3900’s are my goal if not the matching Synthesis Array 1400 but I’ll take these for sure that’s some real serious gear Dam lol I want . The center has to be herd to believe I’ve been going to update my thread on it for awhile but been playing with subs getting the most out of them .
But the center channel is mabey the best sounding center I’ve ever had or herd like ever Iam running it on a bridged carver amp at 500 watts with more headroom than is possible to use in a home . But seriously you guys get the chance to here the center or the whole setup I promise you’ll be impressed .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I’ve actually herd this setup at a synthesis dealer these s3900’s are holy grail speakers . This price is actually a good deal as the center alone retailed for close to 4.000 when in the lineup I paid 1.500 for mine which is way more than I ever thought I’d spend on one speaker but even at full retail it was a good deal for what they put in it .
I’ve also herd the Project Everest with this Center with those too mind blowing clarity at any volume. That’s why I went to the synthesis center channel and it throws such a wide image and seems like it puts it 3 foot from you in 3-d sound .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
All of these beautiful big cabinets makes me want to move the entertainment centre upstairs and get something more compact so that I can fit bigger speakers. :D
Now your talking there’s no substitute for big JBL’S and good subs to go with them ;-)

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

View attachment 50177

View attachment 50178

This is the actual speaker that goes with my JBL Synthesis Center it has the same mid and high rage horn compression driver but has a 14 inch bass cab with the horns mounted on top these are a Greg Timbers designed this is the largest in the lineup .

There’s a guy 400 miles from me on the coast that has these for $ 4.000 if he has them in the spring I’ll drive to get them . He’s in no hurry to get rid of them and said he’d give me first shot at them we’ll see .

Attachments

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I'd still like to find a pair of L300 Summits that I first heard 40 years ago and find out if they're as good as I remember. :)
I’ve never herd them but Iam pretty sure we’d both take a pair home ya just look at them and ya just know they sound real good .

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic

View attachment 50177

View attachment 50178

yeah this is something I would want!!!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
That'd be interesting to hear too. Especially the newer version. $1200 though?
For a price reference, here is a pair on US Audio Mart for $300:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is the actual speaker that goes with my JBL Synthesis Center it has the same mid and high rage horn compression driver but has a 14 inch bass cab with the horns mounted on top these are a Greg Timbers designed this is the largest in the lineup .

There’s a guy 400 miles from me on the coast that has these for $ 4.000 if he has them in the spring I’ll drive to get them . He’s in no hurry to get rid of them and said he’d give me first shot at them we’ll see .
Lol, I knew you'd go ga-ga over those. If it wasn't such a far drive I'd be tempted to try and set up an audition.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Oh and btw, those are some of the horniest looking speakers I've seen! Very interesting looking design.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Lol, I knew you'd go ga-ga over those. If it wasn't such a far drive I'd be tempted to try and set up an audition.
Lol I guarantee you would be impressed this line is Very well designed really some of the best made . I’ve herd several of the synthesis line up these s3900’s are amazing and there bigger brothers too the center just truly the best center I’ve ever herd .and I’ve had just about every one jbl has made and other brands aswell . Shame you can’t go give them a listen you may rethink your lineup you have now lol

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Oh and btw, those are some of the horniest looking speakers I've seen! Very interesting looking design.
They are unbelievable the top horn section bolts on . Now I’ve found the top horns for sale as pairs for 1.250 apiece Iam very tempted to get these and build the bottom end myself useing there specs .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis