Are These Finds Good Deals?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I keep seeing these Sunfire subs pop up and the pricing is usually around the $500 - $600 mark. I've read these little subs punch way above their weight class and would love to check them out. Here are 2 different models. Look at that beefy driver in this first pic!

View attachment 49892

This one has dual opposing drivers.

View attachment 49891

?
I still have (vintage 1997) the original Sunfire True Subwoofer and it is indeed amazing. I love quoting the specs on the amp: 2700 watts and it'll dance around the room if not secured properly.

I don't know which version the poster is advertising, but I think it is post Bob Carver (I think he left in '11?). And no, it does not have "@ ten inch subwoofers". It is a subwoofer with a 10" driver and 10" passive radiator. Also, I would stay away from the HRS - not a Carver design at all.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've heard the M20s and Gems, but that was a looong time ago. I do remember liking them and the M20s were darlings of the review community. I could not advise you on the price, but they appear a little more :lived in" than the two pictures show. That one grill is pretty torn up and check out the bottom of the left side:
View attachment 49896
Probably need some TLC... I would pass.

The only real reason I remember the Gems is because on an episode of MTV's Cribs, Eddie George ( of Oilers/Titans fame) had a pair. Don't know what the rest of his house looked like...
Yeah, on closer inspection there do seem to be signs of wear n tear. For $450 I'd want them to be near mint still. I found a Stereophile review with measurements and you're right. They sure did gush over them, lol. At least they have a suite of measurements to back it up tho. They do measure excellent,

M20FIG03.jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Ha! Look what I found out here for $125!

View attachment 49885

You got the 810s tho, right? These are 310s so I think they're smaller? You only paid 30 bucks for yours!

I'm almost done flipping through Craigslist and found a ton of stuff to sort through ranging from cheap to interesting and I'll be posting some up here in a few.

*Edit: I cannot find any info for JBL HLS310 speakers anywhere. Now I'm wondering if these are the 810s and the seller just doesn't know what he has.
He probably has the same pair I have the 810. He just doesn't realize and made a mistake.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
This person moved their ad to US Audio Mart from Ebay and dropped the price by $200 ($1800 is an awesome price) but they still have not replaced the woofer... I mean, it's only $25 (as they claim) and would give the appearance that they actually took care of their speakers, but hey, that's just me. Anyway, if you are in Southern Kalifornia...
Those casters aren't factory are they? Yuck. Nice speakers though, if repaired.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Calling all Maggie fans!

So I found a pair of Magnepan MG 1.4 speakers with some electronics for $500. I just don't know enough about Maggies to know if this is a good deal or not. The electronics aren't really exciting, but the seller might be talked down for just the speakers. Either way $500 seems like a low asking price compared to other Maggies I've seen for sale.

00L0L_hTc8uXfWWPuz_0gw0co_600x450.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Calling all Maggie fans!

So I found a pair of Magnepan MG 1.4 speakers with some electronics for $500. I just don't know enough about Maggies to know if this is a good deal or not. The electronics aren't really exciting, but the seller might be talked down for just the speakers. Either way $500 seems like a low asking price compared to other Maggies I've seen for sale.

View attachment 49905

Might be interesting for someone in New Jersey.... @Hetfield ?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Might be interesting for someone in New Jersey.... @Hetfield ?
Yup! Lol.

I offered to take a peek at his local Craigslist to see if there was anything interesting in there he might like. Nothing jumped out at me but his area looks like mine, in that there were over 2k hits in the search. That's pretty hoppin' so I think it's worth keeping an eye on from time to time for sure.

Remember those IL30s I got for 20 bucks? This cat's asking $300 for the exact same ones.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I found this unit local to me. Asking price is $850 for a PS Audio P600 "Power Plant". It made me curious because $850 for PS Audio anything seems underpriced, and does the "600" mean watts..? If so that price seems doubly low. Nope. It's a freakin' 100 lb power conditioner! I think. Typical BS Audio...

00d0d_ktzPCrZqJiCz_0CI0qA_600x450.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I found this unit local to me. Asking price is $850 for a PS Audio P600 "Power Plant". It made me curious because $850 for PS Audio anything seems underpriced, and does the "600" mean watts..? If so that price seems doubly low. Nope. It's a freakin' 100 lb power conditioner! I think. Typical BS Audio...

View attachment 49910

Poor sucker is buying a new one. What's the "20" represent I wonder?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Calling all Maggie fans!

View attachment 49905

I've always wanted to try Maggies. My friend's in WI just blew me away and I'll never forget that system. I just don't have the room to place them properly so next house maybe. Your space sounds big enough though. ;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

View attachment 49910

Maybe it's got some gold bars weighing it down?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hey gang. My daughter has 2 receivers. A Marantz SR4023 and a Yamaha RX-396. No remote for the Marantz. She likes the tone controls on the Yamaha and it's easy to use. The KEFs I gave her sound pretty good with it. Is it worth getting a remote and using the Marantz for 2 channel music? How much should she ask for it to sell (just needs to be cleaned up)?

The store she worked at closed up and left all the sound equipment behind, so she got the Marantz, some sealed wall mount speakers and two small subs for free. Bringing the speakers home to check out.
20210826_221109_copy_2016x1134.jpg

20210826_221031_copy_2016x1134.jpg

20210826_220931_copy_2016x1134.jpg

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Mission SX3 for $400 nzd??

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Anyone know much about these JBL ARC speakers? $100 for a pair is pretty impulse, unless they absolutely suck.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone know much about these JBL ARC speakers? $100 for a pair is pretty impulse, unless they absolutely suck.

Seller says they sound their best biwired so they must be good!

I've never seen those before, but they do look very JBL. I wonder where they compare with the Northridge series?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis