Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks guys! These are sure keepers. My intention was to sell them and make some extra change, but after I heard the ((Clarity)) and ((Bass))) output? These ain't going no where. There is great superb imaging and soundstage. This were straight ahead and no angle either and Elvis was right in the middle singing his heart out. Not many speakers can do that. I have a couple of that took long to get that imaging and soundstage. They are not super bright like one person mentioned in a review of a dozen. Yes I've always liked the tuning of JBL speakers, but some that weren't great either. Pogre, Mark, Eppie and KVN what a fun hobby to have at these prices I tell ya. Thank you for your encouragement fellas!
That's so cool. You found a couple great deals on some really nice JBLs! I totally agree it's a lot of fun finding them, and I think even more rewarding than buying new and paying full retail. That's why I still dig through Craigslist and look for deals, even tho I have a pretty nice setup. I just love finding great deals, and these forums are a great way to share our finds where they're actually appreciated.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Before
View attachment 49856View attachment 49857
After
View attachment 49858View attachment 49859
Testing with The White Album and Elvis for percussion and cymbals to hear highs and bass as well. High on a shelf, so that's why I turned them upside down to check tweeters. Both are working, phew. More later. Its safe to assume that these are awesome so far, especially after cleaning and price. Mark do you own these?
Ha! Look what I found out here for $125!

00303_fcjCKri8Vuiz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

You got the 810s tho, right? These are 310s so I think they're smaller? You only paid 30 bucks for yours!

I'm almost done flipping through Craigslist and found a ton of stuff to sort through ranging from cheap to interesting and I'll be posting some up here in a few.

*Edit: I cannot find any info for JBL HLS310 speakers anywhere. Now I'm wondering if these are the 810s and the seller just doesn't know what he has.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I got really excited when I first saw these for $450, but calmed down a little bit when I realized they're not Be, and they were made in '01. Still tho, a pair of Revel Performa books in good shape with the grilles (I looked 'em up and the grilles were optional for an extra $200). They retailed for $2k new, $2.2k with the grilles. I'll bet they sound amazing. I wonder how hard they'd be to resell..?

00S0S_bIOsajGsiVjz_0CI0t2_1200x900_copy_600x450.jpg

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Ha! Look what I found out here for $125!

View attachment 49885

You got the 810s tho, right? These are 310s so I think they're smaller? You only paid 30 bucks for yours!

I'm almost done flipping through Craigslist and found a ton of stuff to sort through ranging from cheap to interesting and I'll be posting some up here in a few.

*Edit: I cannot find any info for JBL HLS310 speakers anywhere. Now I'm wondering if these are the 810s and the seller just doesn't know what he has.
I think that may be a mistake I don’t remember a 310 in this lineup either but I have herd the big towers in the HLS lineup they sound pretty decent for what they are . I believe the first number denotes the woofer size in these they did make a 410 - it had a 4 inch bass driver . I think that was the smallest in that lineup .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now these are interesting. They're definitely vintage, but apparently in extremely good condition. Empire Grenadier end table speakers with marble tops for $175. No clue what they sound like but they look like furniture grade pieces that are nice enough to have even if they weren't speakers!

00606_hW6pDr7orDDz_09G09G_600x450.jpg

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I got really excited when I first saw these for $450, but calmed down a little bit when I realized they're not Be, and they were made in '01. Still tho, a pair of Revel Performa books in good shape with the grilles (I looked 'em up and the grilles were optional for an extra $200). They retailed for $2k new, $2.2k with the grilles. I'll bet they sound amazing. I wonder how hard they'd be to resell..?

View attachment 49887

I really like the look of the older Revel speakers like those M20s and, especially, the Ultima Gems of yore:
1629847789829.png

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
This person moved their ad to US Audio Mart from Ebay and dropped the price by $200 ($1800 is an awesome price) but they still have not replaced the woofer... I mean, it's only $25 (as they claim) and would give the appearance that they actually took care of their speakers, but hey, that's just me. Anyway, if you are in Southern Kalifornia...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I keep seeing these Sunfire subs pop up and the pricing is usually around the $500 - $600 mark. I've read these little subs punch way above their weight class and would love to check them out. Here are 2 different models. Look at that beefy driver in this first pic!

00o0o_bNerNIi3zA4z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

This one has dual opposing drivers.

00808_1PSrleIvTZdz_0g80c6_1200x900.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really like the look of the older Revel speakers like those M20s and, especially, the Ultima Gems of yore:
View attachment 49890
I agree. I really like the way the drivers look in the ones I posted. I think they could pass for new models. Are you familiar at all with them? You think $450 is a jump on them price or might they be a tough resell?

I've never seen the ones you posted. Those are the Ultima Gems? They could also pass as a new model design too. They look techy.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Now these are interesting. They're definitely vintage, but apparently in extremely good condition. Empire Grenadier end table speakers with marble tops for $175. No clue what they sound like but they look like furniture grade pieces that are nice enough to have even if they weren't speakers!

View attachment 49888

If nothing else would make great speaker stands lol !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This person moved their ad to US Audio Mart from Ebay and dropped the price by $200 ($1800 is an awesome price) but they still have not replaced the woofer... I mean, it's only $25 (as they claim) and would give the appearance that they actually took care of their speakers, but hey, that's just me. Anyway, if you are in Southern Kalifornia...
They have casters! Man, the price ain't bad at all but that driver makes me wanna cry, lol. I think $25 to replace it is pretty damned optimistic too...

Sharp looking speakers tho, for sure.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I keep seeing these Sunfire subs pop up and the pricing is usually around the $500 - $600 mark. I've read these little subs punch way above their weight class and would love to check them out. Here are 2 different models. Look at that beefy driver in this first pic!

View attachment 49892

This one has dual opposing drivers.

View attachment 49891

They are or we’re in there day very good but I’ve read they can have amp problems but there is a guy who repairs these some where in west . Bob never built anything with out tons of power lol !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These here just plain caught my eye in their glossy glory. Canton Reference 7.2 towers for $2450. I dunno if that's a particularly good deal, but they sure are gorgeous speakers. I'll bet they sound as good as that look.

00s0s_3aGNNOzI7mXz_0oA0CI_1200x900.jpg

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall

View attachment 49887

They for sure sound amazing. I had the F30's, and they were the second best speaker I've ever owned

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I agree. I really like the way the drivers look in the ones I posted. I think they could pass for new models. Are you familiar at all with them? You think $450 is a jump on them price or might they be a tough resell?

I've never seen the ones you posted. Those are the Ultima Gems? They could also pass as a new model design too. They look techy.
I've heard the M20s and Gems, but that was a looong time ago. I do remember liking them and the M20s were darlings of the review community. I could not advise you on the price, but they appear a little more :lived in" than the two pictures show. That one grill is pretty torn up and check out the bottom of the left side:
1629851072852.png

Probably need some TLC... I would pass.

The only real reason I remember the Gems is because on an episode of MTV's Cribs, Eddie George ( of Oilers/Titans fame) had a pair. Don't know what the rest of his house looked like...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis