Anyone using a Harmony remote control for their home theater systems and AVR?

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
As long as the equipment uses discrete commands, no problem comes from someone using the OEM remotes.
Not a problem per se, but the programmed start sequences in the Harmony remote will not be in sync if more than one component is programmed to start / shut down with one Harmony command, and the unit's included remote has been used to start or shut it down. The Harmony will expect the unit to be in one state and it's actual state will be the opposite.

The same command is sent for start and shutdown, so it will toggle the state regardless. Won't matter if only one component is involved, but if more than one (say, a TV and an AV receiver) it may not work as expected. Then the techno-peasant user will go for the component's included remote every time, often further complicating things. Thus the need to hide the remotes from some unsophisticated users, leaving the Harmony as the only option.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not a problem per se, but the programmed start sequences in the Harmony remote will not be in sync if more than one component is programmed to start / shut down with one Harmony command, and the unit's included remote has been used to start or shut it down. The Harmony will expect the unit to be in one state and it's actual state will be the opposite.

The same command is sent for start and shutdown, so it will toggle the state regardless. Won't matter if only one component is involved, but if more than one (say, a TV and an AV receiver) it may not work as expected. Then the techno-peasant user will go for the component's included remote every time, often further complicating things. Thus the need to hide the remotes from some unsophisticated users, leaving the Harmony as the only option.
You're arguing about toggling commands when my comment was about discretes. Toggle commands have been a problem since the first universal remotes were introduced, so there are several 'workarounds' to prevent problems. One that's used for cable boxes is leaving it on constantly, but the cable companies like to shut them down after updates. It's the whole reason behind the Help button. Another is using the Alpha-numeric feature, which allows adding a channel number command to the Power On sequence. If a CD, DVD or BD player toggles On/Off, using the Play command to turn it on usually works to prevent issues. Anything else that uses discretes is unaffected when a command is sent while in the same state.

highfigh

highfigh

Excellent -- thanks for all the great input. I am still a little fuzzy on this but will try to get manuals for the 650 and 950 today.

All my equipment is behind me so I am using a blaster to talk to it - no issues there. The projector has a cool down cycle built in but the first "off" click it pops up a screen and asks if you are sure. If you ignore it will not shut down so it is necessary to click it again and then it will cool down and shut off.

My biggest question is say I want to use the Blu-ray unit. Can this be programmed to use it, move around in it and say go to Netflix and at the same time control the audio on the AVR and Netflix functions? That is what I am after.

Thanks again for all the input.
A lot of BD player remotes have NetFlix, AMazon Prime and other buttons on them, to save going to the menu and wasting time, button presses and confusion- the Harmony remotes can use that command as well. The 650 can use 'sequences', which are basically Macros, but you can't add the delays that are possible in the 950.

You can add the hub later with the 950. That would also allow IP command over devices that allow it and the list is growing. The Logitech site has a device lookup for this.

The 950 is on sale.

If anyone in the house might be tempted to mess with the equipment buttons in Device mode, you can remove the buttons in the software. I do this because I don't want service calls caused by people who don't know what they're doing when they find that they can hit buttons they think will make the system do something they want. I found out that the number 1 button makes some Denon AVRs' volume go WOT- not good. The 950/Elite is the most solid-feeling remote Harmony has made, by far but it can be a bit slippery, which is due to their not using that rubber coating on the back- that's a good thing because it becomes sticky and nasty feeling.

highfigh

highfigh

Those are built in. When you turn off the projector from the remote, it actually runs the fan for a while and then shuts off. I have had an epson 1080ub that did that. I currently have an epson 5040Ub and it works the same way even though it actually sometimes just turns off without even running the fan but will run it full blast if you turn on the projector while it is cooling down.

I am sure if you put in your projector info into the harmony database it will figure out a command to shutdown the projector safely. Also the harmony smart remote with hub was as low as $48 recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The shutdown sequence depends on how the projector was set up. Some have a one button shutdown, but I wouldn't use that.

Where was it on sale for $48?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
[/QUOTE]
My biggest question is say I want to use the Blu-ray unit. Can this be programmed to use it, move around in it and say go to Netflix and at the same time control the audio on the AVR and Netflix functions? That is what I am after.
Thanks again for all the input.
Yes, that's the whole point of the remote. Certain buttons, like Volume, are "punch-through." They are active in all modes.

So if you setup a macro on the 650/665 (sounds complicated but the software takes you step by step and is super easy) to watch Blu-Ray. When you push the button it turns the TV on, the blu ray, the AVR on and selects all the correct inputs and modes. Everything is on and ready for you to put in the blu ray or use the smart functions.

Except for punch-through buttons the remote itself will be setup to use the blu ray player with all the features AND the important buttons from other device (the punch-throughs). Therefore, if you want to watch Netflix you use the button next to the LCD display where it say Netflix.

Not having everything is great for general watching and keeping other people from accidentally making changes.

Indeed, if you really want to fiddle with the AVR, you'll need select the AVR specifically on the remote. However, you can very simply, in the software, program more punch-through buttons. And you can add/remove/move around item's in the LCD display.

For instance, I used the colored buttons (red, green, blue, and yellow) on the 665 to punch-through AVR sound modes. If I'm watching Roku and decide listen to music through Plex, I can select yellow to put the AVR in multi-channel stereo mode (as opposed to 2x stereo). Similar for going back. This doesn't interfere with using the Roku.

BTW, with the OEM remote I can't go directly to multi-channel mode. I have to pull up a menu and scroll to it. I also put Netflix and Hulu on the top LCD screen in Roku mode for easy access. In some cases you will get added functionality.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have 3 harmony remotes with hubs. They are fantastic once you get used to how the programming aspect works.

In my theater I have a projector that has a double off type command and my harmony works just fine with it. Got an aftermarket blaster and hooked it up to the hub and never looked back.

My harmony in my living room will even control my lights/fan if I don't feel like yelling at google to do it. I can tell google to turn off my tv which is nice when I'm not near the remote.

The only aspect that annoys me is the cloud portion of the hub. It works very well, but sometimes won't connect at specific times I try to configure something. Seems to be a "normal" issue. Not too bad, but can be irritating when you want to make a change and can't.

R

rbl

Audioholic Intern
What does the Hub do. I have a blaster to convert the IR to UHF then back to IR for the equipment. My old setup I got a nice bounce off the screen and all worked will, but not this one.
Looks like the 950 is pretty $$$$$$$ so only looking at the 650 now.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have three Logitech 650 Harmony remotes, one for each system. Two were bought new, the 3rd used. They simply work well and are easy to program.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
I have been using Harmony remotes for 15ish? years. My current remote is the Harmony One and is about 6-7 years old and still going strong. As others have said they just work and seem to last as well.

As for what I used before the Harmonies..........well feast your eyes on this!o_O

Attachments

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
You're arguing about toggling commands when my comment was about discretes. Toggle commands have been a problem since the first universal remotes were introduced, so there are several 'workarounds' to prevent problems. One that's used for cable boxes is leaving it on constantly, but the cable companies like to shut them down after updates. It's the whole reason behind the Help button. Another is using the Alpha-numeric feature, which allows adding a channel number command to the Power On sequence. If a CD, DVD or BD player toggles On/Off, using the Play command to turn it on usually works to prevent issues. Anything else that uses discretes is unaffected when a command is sent while in the same state.
Like I said, some people don't "get" universal remotes. You can tell them to use the Play command (for example) until you are blue in the face, but they will still manage to not use the Play command and then start mashing buttons, digging up the dedicated remote, etc. Ask me how I know.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I have been using Harmony remotes for 15ish? years. My current remote is the Harmony One and is about 6-7 years old and still going strong. As others have said they just work and seem to last as well.

As for what I used before the Harmonies..........well feast your eyes on this!o_O
They dont always last. Just replaced my remote after the wife... (checks to see of shes looking)... ran it thru the washing machine with the sheets. :(

highfigh

highfigh

Like I said, some people don't "get" universal remotes. You can tell them to use the Play command (for example) until you are blue in the face, but they will still manage to not use the Play command and then start mashing buttons, digging up the dedicated remote, etc. Ask me how I know.
Some people like to press harder on the buttons when they can't get it to work, too.

I had one customer who repeatedly called to tell me (whined, really) that his basement system didn't work, but it ALWAYS worked when I tried it. He didn't want to pay for a remote with an RF repeater, so I was forced to use an IR repeater and as I watched him press the button, he dropped his hand to his side, while the remote was still sending commands. I had told him many times that if the green light is flashing, point it at the TV (the IR receiver was directly above it), but that wasn't happening. I have another customer whose daughter turned 3 years old the Summer I programmed their remotes and as I was in the Den working at my computer, she came in and sat next to me. The AV system was turned off at the time when she looked at the remote, reached out and pressed the button to start the 'Watch A DVD' activity. Once it had started, she sat back to watch. I had said exactly nothing to her about how to operate the system.

Later that year, when she was only a few months more than 3 years old, I was at that house discussing some further work and she walked to her dad to whisper something to him. He laughed and when I asked about it he said that she told him "I don't like going to Bxxxxxx's house (her cousin) because I don't like the way their system works".

highfigh

highfigh

What does the Hub do. I have a blaster to convert the IR to UHF then back to IR for the equipment. My old setup I got a nice bounce off the screen and all worked will, but not this one.
Looks like the 950 is pretty $$$$$$$ so only looking at the 650 now.
The hub not only acts as the repeater for IR commands, it can control equipment via IP commands, run macro commands where multiple items are controlled, it will control lights, dimmers, thermostats, shades/blinds and many other things. It also allows you to use a smart phone app for controlling the equipment, works with Alexa and Google, lets you operate the system if it's in a closet or closed cabinet and it works with voice command. Voice command does require some learning to use the correct verbal commands but it does work and it's constantly improving. More functions are coming too, as more manufacturers make equipment that works over IP, which will improve reliability in operation and all of the problems with IR will be a thing of the past.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-hub

R

rbl

Audioholic Intern
The hub not only acts as the repeater for IR commands, it can control equipment via IP commands, run macro commands where multiple items are controlled, it will control lights, dimmers, thermostats, shades/blinds and many other things. It also allows you to use a smart phone app for controlling the equipment, works with Alexa and Google, lets you operate the system if it's in a closet or closed cabinet and it works with voice command. Voice command does require some learning to use the correct verbal commands but it does work and it's constantly improving. More functions are coming too, as more manufacturers make equipment that works over IP, which will improve reliability in operation and all of the problems with IR will be a thing of the past.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-hub
All of my equipment is hard wired to my router and switch and have Internet access. I put in a 20 port switch just for this purpose. So the hub can communicate through the router?? Fast enough?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
All of my equipment is hard wired to my router and switch and have Internet access. I put in a 20 port switch just for this purpose. So the hub can communicate through the router?? Fast enough?
The hub does not communicate through the router to any of the stereo/tv/dvd/media streamer/etc gear. It's either IR or BT. This is why I didn't go with it - it means placing a hub to shoot IR around the room. Or using the supplied wired blaster for hard to reach places. It will use BT on devices like FireTV

In my case, all my gear is centrally located, so it didn't matter. Thus, I went with a non hub model.

It would definitely be nice if it communicated through your ethernet. At this point almost all my gear has a phone app that does this. There's some universal remote apps available for your phone. I'm not a fan of using my smart phone for this application so I never tried any of them.

The technology is there. I spoke to Harmony about this, I got a good impression from them. So who knows what the future will hold...

highfigh

highfigh

It doesn't work for all equipment, but it does operate some and as we go along, more will be added. The current hub uses WiFi and as long as the signal strength, throughput, etc are good, it works. AVRs were some of the first to comply.

As far as 'fast enough', they use hex code- it works or it doesn't- it'snot a matter of speed, it's a matter of getting all of the bits.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis