Anyone using a Harmony remote control for their home theater systems and AVR?

R

rbl

Audioholic Intern
I seem to have quite the collection of remotes and would like to simplify so looking at the Harmony.

One issue I may have is I use a Sony VPL-HW45ES projector and for some reason it take one click to turn on but two clicks to turn off because of the confirmation screen.

I have a Blu-ray, DVD, Roku and DISH all going to a Denon AVR-X1200W

If this Harmony will work what is the simplest unit to purchase -- Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look at the Harmony 650, I use one of those in one setup, a 600 in another. They work well in terms of general functions/macros if that's what you mean by simple. Whether it will handle that double turnoff well with a single click or not, maybe, maybe it can learn the double turnoff (it can do delays of commands) as they are also learning remotes. If you screw around with micro-settings/adjustments with each device a lot you might find yourself using the unit's own remote, though :).

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I highly recommend the Logitech/Harmony remote controls...
EZ to program via a windows or mac pc, can be customized for a specific activity, and their library is big and accurate... Though once in awhile one may not find their respective code in the library, but typically better than most universal remote controls. Over time, they have adopted well by providing different adapter hubs that can translate IR to RF needed with some of the Direct TV stuff.. We did some consulting/beta testing for Logitech/Harmony back a few years for their 880/980 series..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I seem to have quite the collection of remotes and would like to simplify so looking at the Harmony.

One issue I may have is I use a Sony VPL-HW45ES projector and for some reason it take one click to turn on but two clicks to turn off because of the confirmation screen.

I have all the basic equipment you have. I use a Harmony 665 and it seems to do everything. It's not like the old universal remotes; even from Harmony. This one you plug into your computer through a USB cable and set it up.

After I programmed my system up it turned out one of the macro didn't quite work. A message on the remote screen said to press if something didn't work right. I pressed it and a second later it said try again. It worked. I'm guessing it changed the timing slightly. I was turning on my system and going to a specific TV channel. It was like an easy button! Because it's IR, one caveat is you have to teach people using your system to point it at the system until it says it done.

As far as I can tell, it does everything the OEM remote does. Possibly more as there are setting for my Denon AVR (that work!) that aren't on the OEM remote. However, as LovintheHD points out, if you're doing a lot of fiddling, grabbing the OEM remote is sometimes easier than jumping through screens on the Harmony.

Having said that. I did program punch-through buttons. Again, super easy. In the software choose the device setup, like Watch Roku, it opens a screen and choose the device you want functions from, and then drop and drag them where there's empty slots on the remote - they're highlighted. For instance, I used the colored buttons. I programmed sound modes like being able to choose multi-channel stereo. This is a case where it's actually easier than with the OEM remote. It allows you program a button to go directly to a sound mode. On the OEM remote a mini menu pops up and you have to scroll through the sound modes. I also moved around some buttons on the display putting ones I use more on the first screen.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have all the basic equipment you have. I use a Harmony 665 and it seems to do everything. It's not like the old universal remotes; even from Harmony. This one you plug into your computer through a USB cable and set it up.
My first Harmony I plugged into the computer with the usb cable to set up....Harmony was different at one point? Thought that was their schtick so to speak...the automatic programming via your computer/internet with their database....

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
My first Harmony I plugged into the computer with the usb cable to set up....Harmony was different at one point? Thought that was their schtick so to speak...the automatic programming via your computer/internet with their database....
I was confused.... It was a URC. I don't thing Harmony was a company yet. Got wires crossed in my head.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was confused.... It was a URC. I don't thing Harmony was a company yet. Got wires crossed in my head.
FWIW I always thought Harmony was just a product line name of Logitech, but looking at Wikipedia has it as the original company being a Canadian company called Easy Zapper creating it and selling it 2001, that later changed name to Intrigue Technologies before Logitech buying them in 2004.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I have one, it works just fine. Easy to use for most people familiar with HiFi and Remotes in general, but they can be difficult to teach to others who are not so tech savvy.

Everything is easier to run, and as far as that goes they work well for the techno-peasant, but that type of person will inevitably push one wrong button and they are lost, because they start to just mash buttons at some point if the expected doesn't happen.

You might have to hide the "regular" remotes in the basement because others will often grab the old remote, which can screw up sequences like turn-on with the Harmony. Hide them, and they eventually come around to learning to use just the Harmony for everything.

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
Since you have a projector, it is possible that you have your equipment behind you. I have it the same way. So I got the harmony smart remote with hub. You don’t have to point it. The IR blaster in the hub and a blaster extender can be used to point at all your equipment for IR. I am sure your projector has a secret code to turn off in one click but regardless the remote should be able to work. It is an activity based remote and the harmony smart remote all integrated with Alexa. I just say Alexa turn on the projector and it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Which model? They'll all work, it's just a matter of deciding on which one. If you don't need emitters and tricky programming, smart feature control and delays (you do need the delay for your projector), the 650 is great. If you need delays, the 950 with a hub or the Elite are needed. You could use the Companion, but it doesn't have a way to create text labels for the buttons.

If it goes out of synch, all Harmony remotes except the Companionhave a help button to fix the command sequence and it asks questions like "Did this fix the problem?, Is the AVR on?, Is the AVR set to HDMI1?, etc.

highfigh

highfigh

They were a company and they always connected to a computer for programming, even before Logitech bought the company. I started using Harmony in 2003 and if I called for tech support, it was possible to talk to three of the first five people in the company, including the guy who built (assembled) the first 5000 remotes. After they were sold, they lost their way and had some problems, but once Logitech bought them and realized what they had, they really stepped up their game. The Elite and Elite Pro do some really cool things and some new products will be coming out soon that will be great for integrators, like me. No, I can't describe them, but they address some common issues with the installation of the hub and equipment.

highfigh

highfigh

Since you have a projector, it is possible that you have your equipment behind you. I have it the same way. So I got the harmony smart remote with hub. You don’t have to point it. The IR blaster in the hub and a blaster extender can be used to point at all your equipment for IR. I am sure your projector has a secret code to turn off in one click but regardless the remote should be able to work. It is an activity based remote and the harmony smart remote all integrated with Alexa. I just say Alexa turn on the projector and it works.

Most projectors need two commands so the bulb can cool properly and that extends the life of the bulb because the fan stays running. The Harmony remote hub allows for delays- it's not the same as URC, where the duration is chosen by clicking on a dot for the time; it uses a dropdown for the duration, up to 20 seconds. In addition, the delays can be stacked when minutes of delay are needed, meaning that more than one delay can be added and the duration for each can be different, to allow the needed time.

highfigh

highfigh

I have one, it works just fine. Easy to use for most people familiar with HiFi and Remotes in general, but they can be difficult to teach to others who are not so tech savvy.

Everything is easier to run, and as far as that goes they work well for the techno-peasant, but that type of person will inevitably push one wrong button and they are lost, because they start to just mash buttons at some point if the expected doesn't happen.

You might have to hide the "regular" remotes in the basement because others will often grab the old remote, which can screw up sequences like turn-on with the Harmony. Hide them, and they eventually come around to learning to use just the Harmony for everything.
As long as the equipment uses discrete commands, no problem comes from someone using the OEM remotes.

highfigh

highfigh

The Setup Wizard was their idea and it still uses their database, which is user-generated and monitored by real humans. They check commands, compile code sets and in some cases, have explained why the remote for a commercial plasma display was operating a security camera DVR- they both used IR control chips made by the same company and the commands are the same for each, with different names. They can also convert commands from one form to another (many use hexidecimal, but not all).

When they were having problems, I was afraid they might cease operation and kill the server but they never did- they have since gone to cloud-based storage.

BTW- the older programming software allowed a smaller number of devices for the 650- that has been increased, now that MyHarmony is used.

R

rbl

Audioholic Intern
Excellent -- thanks for all the great input. I am still a little fuzzy on this but will try to get manuals for the 650 and 950 today.

All my equipment is behind me so I am using a blaster to talk to it - no issues there. The projector has a cool down cycle built in but the first "off" click it pops up a screen and asks if you are sure. If you ignore it will not shut down so it is necessary to click it again and then it will cool down and shut off.

My biggest question is say I want to use the Blu-ray unit. Can this be programmed to use it, move around in it and say go to Netflix and at the same time control the audio on the AVR and Netflix functions? That is what I am after.

Thanks again for all the input.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure how flexible the 650 is for the type/extent of delay highfigh mentions for a projector cool down, not a projector user. I did mess around with delay trying to get around an ARC issue, tho. I've got several bluray players, the Harmony has been fine with all of them. Check the Harmony database for your make/model (they have nearly every AV device so doubt yours is not on the list). https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
They were a company and they always connected to a computer for programming, even before Logitech bought the company. I started using Harmony in 2003 and if I called for tech support, it was possible to talk to three of the first five people in the company, including the guy who built (assembled) the first 5000 remotes. After they were sold, they lost their way and had some problems, but once Logitech bought them and realized what they had, they really stepped up their game. The Elite and Elite Pro do some really cool things and some new products will be coming out soon that will be great for integrators, like me. No, I can't describe them, but they address some common issues with the installation of the hub and equipment.
I actually thought URC was morphed into the Logitech/Harmony line. That's how far off I waso_O I think it was because URC seemed to wane the same time Harmony took off. At least in the stores I shopped in.

I did consider a hub model, but concluded it was overkill for my needs. I don't mind using my phone for Home Automation. Once that stuff is setup - schedules, notifications, initial setups, tasks based on my phone location, etc - I rarely mess with it. As it should be! Plus, and I did talk with Harmony about this and why I didn't go that route, IMO the technology they're using is not to where I'd like it to be yet.

highfigh

highfigh

I actually thought URC was morphed into the Logitech/Harmony line. That's how far off I waso_O I think it was because URC seemed to wane the same time Harmony took off. At least in the stores I shopped in.

I did consider a hub model, but concluded it was overkill for my needs. I don't mind using my phone for Home Automation. Once that stuff is setup - schedules, notifications, initial setups, tasks based on my phone location, etc - I rarely mess with it. As it should be! Plus, and I did talk with Harmony about this and why I didn't go that route, IMO the technology they're using is not to where I'd like it to be yet.
URC is Korean, Harmony was originally Canadian. Installers hated the Harmony wizard with a burning passion because they tend to be control freaks and many come from computer programming, at least they used to.

The cool thing about the remote handling lights, shades and other smart things, the controls can all be built into a macro when starting a movie.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief

I thought the hub was overkill for me, I'm still playing around with it, but 100% happy with it. I got mine for 100 and it came with a remote as well. At the time of purchase it seemed like it was the only harmony offering Amazon fire box and xbox one s support. I push one button, receiver kicks on to designated input (and volume), TV on to designated input, Amazon on, lights dim, and I'm ready to roll from from my phone with whatever I wanna watch. Same goes for other activities such as xbox, cable box, CD or bluray player. It's a pita to setup at times but another excuse to enjoy a drink while setting up. Now we just need the AI to make me another drink...

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
Most projectors need two commands so the bulb can cool properly and that extends the life of the bulb because the fan stays running. The Harmony remote hub allows for delays- it's not the same as URC, where the duration is chosen by clicking on a dot for the time; it uses a dropdown for the duration, up to 20 seconds. In addition, the delays can be stacked when minutes of delay are needed, meaning that more than one delay can be added and the duration for each can be different, to allow the needed time.
Those are built in. When you turn off the projector from the remote, it actually runs the fan for a while and then shuts off. I have had an epson 1080ub that did that. I currently have an epson 5040Ub and it works the same way even though it actually sometimes just turns off without even running the fan but will run it full blast if you turn on the projector while it is cooling down.

I am sure if you put in your projector info into the harmony database it will figure out a command to shutdown the projector safely. Also the harmony smart remote with hub was as low as $48 recently.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis