Any opinions on good cheap av receivers?

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Sizzam, if you happen to be in the Atlanta area, I have a pair of Sony CS5 (Core series bookshelves) and the TP 160S (bookshelf version from the series we are recommending) that you can take home and see for yourself (which one you prefer)!
Yeah, I've compared TP160 BS to my SVS Ultra books and was surprised at how well they held up to them. I do prefer the Ultras but not by as large a margin as you would expect being that they're $1000 bookshelf speakers! I mean really, at the price we paid for the TPs ($80/pr) they're a WAY better value than my Ultra books, even at the $800 I paid for b stock!
well ive found a pair of DCM TP260 for 393$ after tax and shipping via amazon so ill see if these speakers are all you guys make them out to be they will be here by the 19th and ill update you all when ive had a few moments with them to see what they sound like.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Jamo(yah-mo) is a good danish company. My FIL has some BS by them. The sub is a passband fart box, but the speakers are definitely nice. Local installer carries Jamo.
Yeah, I've heard good things too. I know you can't judge a piece of gear solely on weight, but what's your take on a 26 lb 3 way tower speaker?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
well ive found a pair of DCM TP260 for 393$ after tax and shipping via amazon so ill see if these speakers are all you guys make them out to be they will be here by the 19th and ill update you all when ive had a few moments with them to see what they sound like.
They're almost half that on ebay... did you go through amazon for the return policy or something?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Jamo(yah-mo) was a good danish company.
That was then! (I edited your post above to say was instead of is).
Honestly, they are decent speakers for the money, but not the kind of quality the DCMs are!
I suspect the Jamo you remember had some speakers that would sell for north of $1000 each
Today, Jamo is owned by Klipsch and Klipsch has relegated them to the budget speakers. I assume that they are essentially following the same approach they used when they bought Energy/Mirage, and you see where they are today! You may still be able to buy an Energy Take 5.1 satellite system! Mirage is gone AFAIK!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
That's a link to the speaker with seller suggestions.

There are a couple of reasons one might pay more to go with amazon, but it'd make sense to go with eBay and save the dough. Unless there's some restriction or you don't like ebay's return process or something?
one of the seller suggestions is hawking em off at 179$ new a piece with a 5$ shipping fee

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I've heard good things too. I know you can't judge a piece of gear solely on weight, but what's your take on a 26 lb 3 way tower speaker?
Lol. Well, if that was all I was going by, I’d pass lmao. I think the value is the DCM fo sho...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
one of the seller suggestions is hawking em off at 179$ new a piece with a 5$ shipping fee
Yeah well you need to cancel that and order the ones from eBay! I think you misunderstood the ad. The $220 price on ebay is for 2 speakers. $110 for each.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
wait the 3 way or 2 way versions?
The 3 way versions.

I'm wrong, you're right. I thought what I had linked was pair pricing. What you found is right in line with what I did.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
The 3 way versions.

I'm wrong, you're right. I thought what I had linked was pair pricing. What you found is right in line with what I did.

alright well i canceled it via amazon and now got it for 388$ after taxes with shipping that wont take at least a week. :) :cool:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I had it twisted from the start, thinking they were $220/pr, which would be even more amazing, but $360 is still a great price, imo and I still strongly recommend. They retailed for $600 before they were dc'd and they're every bit of what you might expect from a $600 speaker.

Tbh I'm a little jelly. I have the 2 way bookshelf versions of those and I really like them. I'd love to listen to the 3 way towers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
alright well i canceled it via amazon and now got it for 388$ after taxes with shipping that wont take at least a week. :) :cool:
Sorry about that. Fwiw you still did good. Compared to your white vans these are a major, major step up. I'd still plan for a sub too tho. I always recommend a sub. I have some very beefy towers and still prefer even music with my subs on.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Sorry about that. Fwiw you still did good. Compared to your white vans these are a major, major step up. I'd still plan for a sub too tho. I always recommend a sub. I have some very beefy towers and still prefer even music with my subs on.
my polk audio will be fine till i can swing a healthy amount for a pair of sealed 10"s i wanted 15"s but with these new towers i want to balance it out more so 10"s seem fine

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm glad to hear that. You may have been okay, but "Stereo Direct" (who I assume is the vendor you were buying from may be legit, but I could not find them via a google and the only rating for the company this year was 1 star with comment that he never received the item he bought and it was a scam company. That may be BS from that guy, but I can vouch for "pricedrightsales" via ebay which is how I bought mine!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with you, but you are easily doubling his budget.
My thinking with this virus crap is it is worth a lot to have good sound at home, but now is not the time to be extravagant with your finances!
For me personally, a pair of towers like that for stereo music gets me where I want to be, and I'd add the sub after some of the uncertainty has been removed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis