Any opinions on good cheap av receivers?

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Yeah, uh... everything fit on the first page, lol. That didn't take long!

If you find something, before you buy it, I think you should research first and it wouldn't hurt to ask one of us and be patient for a reply. Outside of that, I think the DCM speakers are your best bet. Even if you just start with the 3 way towers for $220 first. They're worth a lot more than they're selling for right now. I suspect you're letting looks and price tags have too much affect your decision. Sound quality and looks don't always go together.

Several members here have bought those speakers in one form or another and so far it's unanimous across the board, they're good, high quality speakers that sound great. Fantastic value.
im looking through ebay atm for those hidden nuggets and if nothing much pops up then on monday the pawn stores open ill report back on any findings

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, uh... everything fit on the first page, lol. That didn't take long!

If you find something, before you buy it, I think you should research first and it wouldn't hurt to ask one of us and be patient for a reply. Outside of that, I think the DCM speakers are your best bet. Even if you just start with the 3 way towers for $220 first. They're worth a lot more than they're selling for right now. I suspect you're letting looks and price tags have too much affect your decision. Sound quality and looks don't always go together.

Several members here have bought those speakers in one form or another and so far it's unanimous across the board, they're good, high quality speakers that sound great. Fantastic value.
Minneapolis, St. Cloud and Duluth could be options too.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Speaking of which the CL ads for my area are lacking to say the least so i might swing into a pawn store and see whats on offer
Honestly, deals like those DCM's only come by so often in life! The chances of you finding their equivalent in your Pawn shops are very long odds! But, it never hurts to check!
I bought a pair of the DCM bookshelf speakers and after I heard how good they are, I bought four more pairs of DCM speakers plus a center! I already have nicer speakers, but like to share it with family and friends when I find something that great!
Among the DCM speakers Pogre suggested, The $550 set is what you want if you have no plans for a sub (forgive me if your sub has already been addressed). If you have a good sub, the set for $350 will do great!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Kew is right. This isn't just one of those good deals that pop up every so often. The price for those speakers has been dramatically slashed due to large inventory and they've been dc'd. They are one of those hidden nuggets. This is more like a once in a decade type of deal and I would not hesitate to buy those in your shoes, with your budget. I agree with Kurt. Your chances of finding better in a pawn shop are probably as likely as you winning the state lottery.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Kew is right. This isn't just one of those good deals that pop up every so often. The price for those speakers has been dramatically slashed due to large inventory and they've been dc'd. They are one of those hidden nuggets. This is more like a once in a decade type of deal and I would not hesitate to buy those in your shoes, with your budget. I agree with Kurt. Your chances of finding better in a pawn shop are probably as likely as you winning the state lottery.
how do the Athena WS-100's compare?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
how do the Athena WS-100's compare?
I haven't heard them, but looking at specs and drivers it looks like the DCMs are equal in sensitivity but can play deeper. Based on my experience with the books already know they're high fidelity, so I would for sure go with the TP260 over those.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
I haven't heard them, but looking at specs and drivers it looks like the DCMs are equal in sensitivity but can play deeper. Based on my experience with the books already know they're high fidelity, so I would for sure go with the TP260 over those.
ok its a bit of a toss up between those dcm's and a pair of Marantz WSP-4115's

Edit: so after about an hour of googling the marantz were not showing any results that gave me any idea as to the quality so i think im gonna go for the dcm's

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is actually kinda fun. You keep finding them and I'll give you my opinion, based on what info is available, how they'd measure up to the TP260. Check it out...

Here are specs for the TP260 right from the site.
Screenshot_2020-05-09-13-34-02-1_copy_824x435.png

I'm going to call 33 hz a bit optimistic. Since they don't specify whether that's 3 dB down or 10 dB down its kinda hard to say, but I'll bet they're capable of good, usable bass (-3 dB) down to at least the bottom 40s or upper 30s. Which is good for most music, tho I'd still recommend a sub. I'd recommend a sub for almost any speaker tho. Only a very few really rate as full range speakers and those will cost ya big.

The Athena specs claim bass down to 50 hz, which is where I'd guess is the actual 3 dB point. That's okay, for a bookshelf speaker...

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
This is actually kinda fun. You keep finding them and I'll give you my opinion, based on what info is available, how they'd measure up to the TP260. Check it out...

View attachment 36063

I'm going to call 33 hz a bit optimistic. Since they don't specify whether that's 3 dB down or 10 dB down its kinda hard to say, but I'll bet they're capable of good, usable bass (-3 dB) down to at least the bottom 40s or upper 30s. Which is good for most music, tho I'd still recommend a sub. I'd recommend a sub for almost any speaker tho. Only a very few really rate as full range speakers and those will cost ya big.

The Athena specs claim bass down to 50 hz, which is where I'd guess is the actual 3 dB point. That's okay, for a bookshelf speaker...
im doing some looking on amazon now and ive run across these i know the brand my brother wont shut up about them are they that good?
https://www.amazon.com/Jamo-Studio-807-WL-Floorstanding-Speakers/dp/B07J27PG9C/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&qid=1589057976&refinements=p_36:-40000&rnid=386442011&s=electronics&sr=1-11&th=1

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
ok its a bit of a toss up between those dcm's and a pair of Marantz WSP-4115's

Edit: so after about an hour of googling the marantz were not showing any results that gave me any idea as to the quality so i think im gonna go for the dcm's
Which ones? If you can swing it I'd go for the 5.0 TP260 pack or if you want to start smaller and see how you like them first go with the 3.0 or 2.0 TP260 pack. Then you can buy a pair of TP60s for surround speakers later sold out!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
im doing some looking on amazon now and ive run across these i know the brand my brother wont shut up about them are they that good?
https://www.amazon.com/Jamo-Studio-807-WL-Floorstanding-Speakers/dp/B07J27PG9C/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&qid=1589057976&refinements=p_36:-40000&rnid=386442011&s=electronics&sr=1-11&th=1
I've heard good and bad about Jamo, but to be honest no listening experience. One thing that caught my attention in the ad is the weight of those speakers. 26 lbs seems awfully light for a tower speaker so I looked on their site and it appears that's the case.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

View attachment 36063

Interesting how the feet add 1.5" to the width of the TP260! :D

But the weight is 40 pounds which is more in line with what you might expect for a good tower!
The Jamo speakers are not bad, but are not so good as the DCM's!
The DCM TP160S bookshelf was right there with the Infinity R162 when I compared them. DCM 160S easily better than the Sony Core series (which was my recommendation at this price point before the DCM clearance deal started).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Jamo(yah-mo) is a good danish company. My FIL has some BS by them. The sub is a passband fart box, but the speakers are definitely nice. Local installer carries Jamo.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sizzam, if you happen to be in the Atlanta area, I have a pair of Sony CS5 (Core series bookshelves) and the TP 160S (bookshelf version from the series we are recommending) that you can take home and see for yourself (which one you prefer)!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting how the feet add 1.5" to the width of the TP260! :D

But the weight is 40 pounds which is more in line with what you might expect for a good tower!
The Jamo speakers are not bad, but are not so good as the DCM's!
The DCM TP160S bookshelf was right there with the Infinity R162 when I compared them. DCM 160S easily better than the Sony Core series (which was my recommendation at this price point before the DCM clearance deal started).
Yeah, I've compared TP160 BS to my SVS Ultra books and was surprised at how well they held up to them. I do prefer the Ultras but not by as large a margin as you would expect being that they're $1000 bookshelf speakers! I mean really, at the price we paid for the TPs ($80/pr) they're a WAY better value (relatively) than my Ultra books, even at the $800 I paid for b stock!

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Sizzam, if you happen to be in the Atlanta area, I have a pair of Sony CS5 (Core series bookshelves) and the TP 160S (bookshelf version from the series we are recommending) that you can take home and see for yourself (which one you prefer)!
thank you for the kind offer but unfortunately i live in minnesota

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis