Any opinions on good cheap av receivers?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
my polk audio will be fine till i can swing a healthy amount for a pair of sealed 10"s i wanted 15"s but with these new towers i want to balance it out more so 10"s seem fine
I'm gonna keep an eye out for your impressions so make sure you share! You do have some subwoofage now so you don't have to run out and get one. I think those 3 ways by themselves would be enough to get a guy by without a sub for most music, come right down to it. A good sub will always give you the best deep bass response, but you're set well enough now that I think you can take your time, do some homework, save up and pick something really nice.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
ive got a bit of a stupid question quick, after i demo'd them i wonder how the drivers themselves would sound in my current "white van" enclosures as they run a sealed enclosure for the mids and highs drivers with the crossover from the other enclosures moved over too of course.

after taking them apart in the past (to see what the drivers looked like and to pop the tweeter cones out from being pushed in) i seen the enclosure has some good bracing and the part the speaker fits into (the baffle i think) is about 3/8" mdf and the rest of the enclosure looks to be 1/2" mdf with polyfill in the free space. (not too bad it could easily have been fiberboard or plywood)

gonna take some measurements and do some calculations to find out how large the cabinet interior is in a bit.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
ok calculations are done the box is apx .8ft cubed for the interior of the enclosure or roughly
20 3/4" height by
11 6/8" deep by
8 7/16" width
with a 3/8" speaker baffle and half in fiberboard minus maybe .1 or .2 cubic feet for bracing

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those speakers are best repurposed for the dumpster. I'm confused as to why you are so attached to such garbage..?

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Those speakers are best repurposed for the dumpster. I'm confused as to why you are so attached to such garbage..?
because i spent 500$ on them about 6 years ago and i wanna turn this ripoff around :cool:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
because i spent 500$ on them about 6 years ago and i wanna turn this ripoff around :cool:
There comes a time where you have to realize that you're dealing with a lost cause. The way I see it, you're going to turn your $500 mistake into a $1000 mistake if you keep on this path. I highly doubt there are any redeeming qualities in those towers. Poop cake.

Designing a speaker is a lot more than just putting drivers into a cabinet you like the looks of. The drivers have to be carefully selected and matched with the tweeter and other drivers. Cabinet volume is a factor. You would need to design and build your own crossovers and that takes experience, know how and computer modeling to get right.

You really, really need to just cut your losses and start over. Get rid of those things and don't look back.

*Edit: And don't buy anymore speakers from the backs of vans!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
the enclosure has some good bracing and the part the speaker fits into (the baffle i think) is about 3/8" mdf and the rest of the enclosure looks to be 1/2" mdf with polyfill in the free space. (not too bad it could easily have been fiberboard or plywood)
A 3/8" baffle? I'd like to see a full inch on a baffle. Those cabs aren't worth it and they're not going to work with other drivers.

And what do you mean by "after I demoed them"? Did you get your new speakers already?

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
A 3/8" baffle? I'd like to see a full inch on a baffle. Those cabs aren't worth it and they're not going to work with other drivers.

And what do you mean by "after I demoed them"? Did you get your new speakers already?
i meant as in after i received my new ones and had a decent time with them before taking them apart and messing around with them

also my bad not 3/8 in baffle i meant to type 5/8 but for some reason i had 3/8ths stuck in my head

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
There comes a time where you have to realize that you're dealing with a lost cause. The way I see it, you're going to turn your $500 mistake into a $1000 mistake if you keep on this path. I highly doubt there are any redeeming qualities in those towers. Poop cake.

Designing a speaker is a lot more than just putting drivers into a cabinet you like the looks of. The drivers have to be carefully selected and matched with the tweeter and other drivers. Cabinet volume is a factor. You would need to design and build your own crossovers and that takes experience, know how and computer modeling to get right.

You really, really need to just cut your losses and start over. Get rid of those things and don't look back.

*Edit: And don't buy anymore speakers from the backs of vans!
i didn't buy them from a van seller directly it was a friend who had bought them and sold them to me for half of what he got ripped for but ill pass on the words ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
i meant as in after i received my new ones and had a decent time with them before taking them apart and messing around with them

also my bad not 3/8 in baffle i meant to type 5/8 but for some reason i had 3/8ths stuck in my head
Eek!

Don't do that! Lol.

Even a slight difference of internal volume between the 2 different cabinets will completely change how the drivers behave and you would need a whole new set of crossovers designed from the ground up. Just out of curiosity, how much do those Doggs weigh? I'd be willing to bet that the DCMs are better braced and use thicker MDF, at least for the baffle.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
i didn't buy them from a van seller directly it was a friend who had bought them and sold them to me for half of what he got ripped for but ill pass on the words ;)
Assuming he's no longer a friend? Lol.

I'm sorry man, that really sucks. You're not stupid either, a lot of folks got taken in with the scam (like your buddy) and they have a pretty good pitch. It's a full on industry with courses on how to mislead folks and the whole 9 yards. I don't mean to make you feel bad about it, I'm being harsh just to emphasize my opinion. I know it sucks, but you gotta let them go.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Eek!

Don't do that! Lol.

Even a slight difference of internal volume between the 2 different cabinets will completely change how the drivers behave and you would need a whole new set of crossovers designed from the ground up. Just out of curiosity, how much do those Doggs weigh? I'd be willing to bet that the DCMs are better braced and use thicker MDF, at least for the baffle.
i think each one is in the 30lbsish each range for each speaker tower and no its not filled with concrete or anything its all wood

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Assuming he's no longer a friend? Lol.

I'm sorry man, that really sucks. You're not stupid either, a lot of folks got taken in with the scam (like your buddy) and they have a pretty good pitch. It's a full on industry with courses on how to mislead folks and the whole 9 yards. I don't mean to make you feel bad about it, I'm being harsh just to emphasize my opinion. I know it sucks, but you gotta let them go.
well at this point its a loss so i was wondering in a "just for fun" way to make them decent with maybe some better drivers since the cabnet seems of a decent build

(also i would still consider us friends :cool:)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
well at this point its a loss so i was wondering in a "just for fun" way to make them decent with maybe some better drivers since the cabnet seems of a decent build

(also i would still consider us friends :cool:)
If you are absolutely determined to try and make something from those cabinets I would suggest that you study up on speaker design and figure out the exact parameters of that cabinet. After you get some things figured out, look for drivers that might work in it and go from there. Basically just start over. I would not scavenge parts from good speakers that work great to try and salvage those.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just some food for thought. I feel this common logical fallacy kind of applies to this situation. This is how restaurants and movie theaters get you too, by the way.

avoid-the-sunk-cost-fallacy.jpg

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Just some food for thought. I feel this common logical fallacy kind of applies to this situation. This is how restaurants and movie theaters get you too, by the way.

View attachment 36087
im aware of this but i figure ill make this a learning experience on how to get started on building speakers. :cool: 500$ for a reason to learn what "orders" and stuff are in relation to enclosures and whatnot is not all that bad.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
im aware of this but i figure ill make this a learning experience on how to get started on building speakers. :cool: 500$ for a reason to learn what "orders" and stuff are in relation to enclosures and whatnot is not all that bad.
Another way to look at it too is you got 6 years out of those speakers for 500 bucks. That's longer than most of us here get for more than twice that! :p

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Good news i swapped out my center channel from a polk audio c10 to a Boston Acoustics VR 12 (for a 37$ difference)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis