All things bicycle.

R

RH Clark

Enthusiast
12k, gulp ...... I suspect there are offerings for the cruiser segment under 5k ?
I've been a cyclist for 4 years. I started at age 50 to get in shape. I was 350 lbs my first ride. After 2 years of diet and cycling I was down to 180 lbs. I've bought a dozen bikes off Marketplace supplying the whole family.

IMHO the only good reason to get an E-bike is to keep up with a faster friend or group. A good quality bike with the correct gearing is an eye opener to anyone who has only been on box store bikes. You don't have to pay a mint either. I have bikes equipped such that a replacement would be 2-3K new, but I paid less than $500 used.

It's just like any hobby in that you can spend as much or as little as you want, but you will be best served to learn exactly what you need first and then purchase used, or at least get enough experience to know why you buying new.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been a cyclist for 4 years. I started at age 50 to get in shape. I was 350 lbs my first ride. After 2 years of diet and cycling I was down to 180 lbs. I've bought a dozen bikes off Marketplace supplying the whole family.

IMHO the only good reason to get an E-bike is to keep up with a faster friend or group. A good quality bike with the correct gearing is an eye opener to anyone who has only been on box store bikes. You don't have to pay a mint either. I have bikes equipped such that a replacement would be 2-3K new, but I paid less than $500 used.

It's just like any hobby in that you can spend as much or as little as you want, but you will be best served to learn exactly what you need first and then purchase used, or at least get enough experience to know why you buying new.
Congrats on your weight loss, that's awesome! For me the ebike's main benefit is to take it easier on old body/knees on 3-4000 ft climbs :), which is pretty much the norm here (unless you ride the shuttle vehicles, but with the ebike I'm self sufficient).

R

RH Clark

Enthusiast
Congrats on your weight loss, that's awesome! For me the ebike's main benefit is to take it easier on old body/knees on 3-4000 ft climbs :), which is pretty much the norm here (unless you ride the shuttle vehicles, but with the ebike I'm self sufficient).
I would certainly consider one if I used a bike to commute.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would certainly consider one if I used a bike to commute.
I wish they existed while I worked....I'm happy with the singletrack assistance these days, and are popular among the trail workers around here to get gear to trail work sites easier, too.

R

RH Clark

Enthusiast
I wish they existed while I worked....I'm happy with the singletrack assistance these days, and are popular among the trail workers around here to get gear to trail work sites easier, too.
They certainly have a place. Environmentally speaking. anytime someone is on one rather than driving, it's a good thing. My big worry is that they will become more of an electric motorcycle than an assisted bicycle and negate nearly all the health benefits of actually cycling.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They certainly have a place. Environmentally speaking. anytime someone is on one rather than driving, it's a good thing. My big worry is that they will become more of an electric motorcycle than an assisted bicycle and negate nearly all the health benefits of actually cycling.
Mine is pedal assist (Santa Cruz Heckler), no throttle twisting.....altho some of those I see around town with one older couple particularly, and seem to have smiles plastered on their faces as they zip up and down the main street (and don't think they particularly rode bikes before they got them). The one I want is the Sur-Ron X :)

R

RH Clark

Enthusiast
Mine is pedal assist (Santa Cruz Heckler), no throttle twisting.....altho some of those I see around town with one older couple particularly, and seem to have smiles plastered on their faces as they zip up and down the main street (and don't think they particularly rode bikes before they got them). The one I want is the Sur-Ron X :)
I ride my bikes just for fun and fitness. I have 5 or 6 I keep in rotation depending on what kind of riding I want to do. If an E-bike can get an old couple out that would otherwise be inside ,then it's a good thing. Sometimes I just cringe a little though because I know how much cheaper and healthier it would be to actually peddle rather than ride it like an electric motorcycle.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I think the ebikes got them out from indoor inactivity, so a good thing (at least I don't remember seeing them on bikes around here before that). I do admit I ride the ebike more and my others less these days, but its still good exercise. In my younger days I would have eschewed the help, tho. Mostly just waiting for the weather to get better to get some more riding in, altho avoiding forest fires this year with the wet is a good thing....we were baking by this time last year.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well the bike finally arrived after almost 2 week delay and calling to see what happened. Had to order again last week Wednesday and was given a $24 discount for my troubles. I'll try to put it together tomorrow morning since I'm off from work.
Good luck!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
:eek: Well without reading the Instructions I did pretty good. I only needed to see how to put in the petals which is backwards on the left and on the right clockwise. Figured out how to put the brake thing wiring by the handle brake releasevon the handle bars. I need to get a air pump and handle bar tool to align the bike and get it tight to swival and also move up handle bars. I'm proud of hooking it up. Fixed the chain. Production was 3 dayS before my Bday.:p Happy! Tomorrow I'll pass by Walmart to get the tools I need and air pump. For $111.00 after a credit(Price went up from $139 to $148) I'm thrilled and bike does not look or built cheaply. Thanks for the help Lovinthehd!
IMG_19072022_143052_(2000_x_1125_pixel).jpg

IMG_19072022_143135_(2000_x_1125_pixel).jpg
IMG_19072022_143210_(2000_x_1414_pixel).jpg
IMG_19072022_143352_(1125_x_2000_pixel).jpg

IMG_19072022_143437_(2000_x_1058_pixel).jpg

IMG_19072022_143507_(2000_x_1165_pixel).jpg

IMG_19072022_145448_(2000_x_1174_pixel).jpg

Edit found a tool that worked!:):cool:Yessssss
IMG_19072022_154645_(2000_x_1125_pixel).jpg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The brakes are generally more comfortable to use when angled down at about 45 degrees IME (at least it looks like they're parallel to the ground in the pic)....

Yep, reverse threading on the left side pedal (or it would come loose in use). A bit of info on the subject https://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/left.html

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
This looks fun, but awkward for me. I'm 5 10.
RideJetson has Jetson Bolt Pro Electric Bike (Remanufactured) for $225 after applying discount code OUTSIDE10 at checkout. Shipping is free.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This looks fun, but awkward for me. I'm 5 10.
RideJetson has Jetson Bolt Pro Electric Bike (Remanufactured) for $225 after applying discount code OUTSIDE10 at checkout. Shipping is free.
Think you would prefer a regular sized one....and you don't get much ebike at that kind of price....

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well filled the tires and just took her for a ride and she run smoothly shifting gears and brakes fine. I definitely need to change the seat as it's a bit too hard. Ordered one last night. We will see if there is a difference. I think I made a good choice. Mostly for exercise and just riding around for fun. Haha I'm huffing and puffing from that workout.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well filled the tires and just took her for a ride and she run smoothly shifting gears and brakes fine. I definitely need to change the seat as it's a bit too hard. Ordered one last night. We will see if there is a difference. I think I made a good choice. Mostly for exercise and just riding around for fun. Haha I'm huffing and puffing from that workout.
At least it's flat there....around here you'd be huffing and puffing a lot more :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
2 weeks late, but I saw this last night at my Thrift store:
IMG_26072022_121953_(3000_x_1688_pixel).jpg

IMG_26072022_122045_(3000_x_1688_pixel).jpg

IMG_26072022_122029_(3000_x_1688_pixel).jpg

IMG_26072022_122106_(3000_x_1688_pixel).jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com