Advice on a 20 x 23 room

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
K guys some great info I relay appreciate it,
With that in mine what about the Sierra towers and the Sierra Horizon this will be the last speakers I buy so i kinda want to get what i want
You could do much worse than Ascent's Sierra speakers. Solid choice. Thought I'd personally go with Dennis's creations.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
K not speaker related but how are outlaw amps, may help to drive the BMR's if i go that route. I belive my wife would like the way they look more
I consider Outlaw amps to be one of the best options for external amplification.
They had the M2200 mono-blocks going for $300 each during their Labor Day sale. Likely, they will have a similar deal come Black Friday. At $600 for a pair, I can't think of a standard consumer amp that can challenge them for value.
Of course, if you are willing to give up the solid metal front and some other mostly cosmetic details, you can get better value buying professional amps. There are easily a half dozen good examples, but the Crown XLS 1502 is a popular model due to thermally controlled fan with very low noise, RCA connections (many pro-audio units do not have this) and variable input sensitivity. $400 gets you plenty of power with no concerns about running low impedance speakers.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XLS1502--crown-xls-1502-power-amplifier

However, there is no easy answer regarding how much power you need to drive your speakers. I have found that an amp with 200WPC at 8 Ohms and 300WPC into 4 Ohms is more than enough for any speaker I have owned, so generally consider that a safe (yet reasonable) objective. However, there are some very power hungry speakers (like Gene's Status Acoustic 8T's) that might push the 200/300WPC limits if you get aggressive with the volume knob!
200/300WPC is definitely plenty for the BMR's (which I own).

Ideally, come back and ask when you know what speakers you are getting!
A 200/300WPC amp would be a waste if you ended up getting something like Klipsch speakers which are very efficient. For them, 50WPC is more than enough and any AVR is going to do fine.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The Ultra's are certainly well engineered speakers, and I won't comment on how they compare other than to say that the BMR's play considerably lower but are around 2 dB less sensitive. The usual trade-off.
The Ultra's are certainly well engineered speakers, and I won't comment on how they compare other than to say that the BMR's play considerably lower but are around 2 dB less sensitive. The usual trade-off.
That's my take, just different speakers. I'd assume the driver arrangement alone would indicate a higher SPL at the lower notes for the ultra, not to say that the other is lacking by any means.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The amplification I choose for my new speakers, albeit not cheap, was done so with the thought that if need it could drive all but a handful of speakers. Stable power into 2 ohms, with good distortion numbers.
https://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/power-amplifiers/dca-series/dca-1622/
$860 shipped plus applicable taxes USD.
sorry for mild offtopic, but I'm going to go on a limb and guess that you don't run multiple qsc cinema amps and don't use DataPort interface,
In that case why not simply use 1/2 priced RMX 1450a ?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

That's my take, just different speakers. I'd assume the driver arrangement alone would indicate a higher SPL at the lower notes for the ultra, not to say that the other is lacking by any means.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same Ultra's. I'm referring to the monitor, not to a tower. I'm not following what you mean by "the driver arrangement alone...."

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not sure we're talking about the same Ultra's. I'm referring to the monitor, not to a tower. I'm not following what you mean by "the driver arrangement alone...."
I was referring to the tower sorry for the confusion.

N

noclue

Audioholic
but from what i hear i will need to get a amp hope the outlaw will not cause problems because the nicer amps go up in price a lot

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis