Advice on a 20 x 23 room

N

noclue

Audioholic
I am looking to get 2 FV15HP TYo help with the base in the room. My hearing is not the best and horn tweeters seem to hurt my ears on certain tones. I am aware that they seem to fill a large room better but can't deal with them.
will be using for general TV movies and music. have abut 4 grand max to spend on the left right and center, dont need to spend that much if I can get cheaper.
All options would be as what to look at would be a great help.
Thanks

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
How far do you sit from the display? How loud do you typically listen?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your room is not small, but I wouldn't call it very large either. I don't see the need for high dynamic range speakers that use horn loaded drivers. I wouldn't blame the horns for their stereotypically shouty character either. Not all horn-loaded speakers sound like cheap PA speakers or vintage Klipsch budget speakers. Furthermore, just because a speaker is using a non-horn transducer does not mean it will not be harsh.

If it were me in that budget, I would look at a set of JBL LSR6332 speakers while they are on sale (right and left). These don't look too pretty but they have a very neutral sound and also a wide dynamic range. For use as a center speaker, rotate the tweeter/midrange plate like so.

If you need something that is prettier I would look at the aforementioned Philharmonic speakers. Another good one would be the RBH SV61r series, take a look at some SV-61r bookshelfs and a SV-661cr center speaker. These are gorgeous speakers that have a warm sound that is very much the opposite of what you would associate with obnoxious horn speakers. They are very easy to listen to! Excellent speakers. Other decent speakers in this price range, look at Revel Performa3s, SVS Ultra, Paradigm Premiere, Polk LSiM, KEF Q floorstanders, to name just a few,

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
SVS ultra how do they compare to the BMR speakers?
Different. The BMRs have excellent off axis response. The Ultras probably play a little louder lower, but wouldn't come into play with the subs.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
SVS offers a free in home trial. It would be easy to test them out and see for yourself.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You would need to have comparable sets of measurements to see if the BMR is more accurate. From what I can tell, the SVS speakers are indeed aiming for a neutral response. Dennis Murphy's speakers look to aim for a flat response, but the SVS speakers are sure to have some solid engineering in them as well. I would not automatically assume that the Philharmonitors are more accurate without evidence to support that conclusion.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You would need to have comparable sets of measurements to see if the BMR is more accurate. From what I can tell, the SVS speakers are indeed aiming for a neutral response. Dennis Murphy's speakers look to aim for a flat response, but the SVS speakers are sure to have some solid engineering in them as well. I would not automatically assume that the Philharmonitors are more accurate without evidence to support that conclusion.
While we don't have measurements done by the same reviewer, but some conclusions could be drawn.
To my unprofessional eye, BMR is slightly more neutral, but both are neutral speakers for sure.

SVS Ultra bookshelf (very nice, except dip at 4khz)

and BMR:

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Different. The BMRs have excellent off axis response. The Ultras probably play a little louder lower, but wouldn't come into play with the subs.
The Ultra's are certainly well engineered speakers, and I won't comment on how they compare other than to say that the BMR's play considerably lower but are around 2 dB less sensitive. The usual trade-off.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
While we don't have measurements done by the same reviewer, but some conclusions could be drawn.
To my unprofessional eye, BMR is slightly more neutral, but both are neutral speakers for sure.

SVS Ultra bookshelf (very nice, except dip at 4khz)

and BMR:
These measurement sets are just too different to compare. Gene's measurement is a listening window, which is an average of +/-0, 15, 30 degrees horizontal and +/- 15 degrees vertical. Dennis' measurement is a direct axis measurement. Also, Gene's measurement looks like it might have some reflections contaminating it (sorry Gene!)

I wouldn't be surprised if Dennis' speakers were more neutral, but I wouldn't just assume that, since SVS is using some very good components and solid engineering. I suspect the real difference would come from the dispersion pattern, where the BMR would have a much wider lateral dispersion than the SVS Ultra speaker. And also the lower extension of the BMRs, as Dennis mentioned.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The BMRs and Ultras are some of the speakers on my list to check out when I upgrade my theater / man cave next year. Also the Canton Vento at A4L and the new updated Klipsch series that just came out and the RBH is a good choice too. Lots of great choices out there. I originally had thought Revel concerto review looked good too so that’s still an option as well. Good luck! :)

Edit: Kef is another one I’m looking at. :)

N

noclue

Audioholic
K not speaker related but how are outlaw amps, may help to drive the BMR's if i go that route. I belive my wife would like the way they look more

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
KEF R700/R600c. On sale @ 30% off right now as the new series has been announced and starts shipping the 3rd week in October.

N

noclue

Audioholic
K guys some great info I relay appreciate it,
With that in mine what about the Sierra towers and the Sierra Horizon this will be the last speakers I buy so i kinda want to get what i want

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
K guys some great info I relay appreciate it,
With that in mine what about the Sierra towers and the Sierra Horizon this will be the last speakers I buy so i kinda want to get what i want
Last speakers ever??

I am not sure a ribbon tweeter can last 30 years. I have heard they can possibly loosen over a decade. Not sure exactly if it is noticeable or dramatic if that were to happen or maybe just not as accurate. There could be some maintenance is what I’m saying. YMMV

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis