Adding streaming (tidal) to legacy system

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I need to get the Tidal stream to the DAC...most DACs i'm seeing in the $1000 range don't have Wifi and instead expect the digital signal to come from PC via a USB connection. So i need some sort of machine (PC or RasbPi or something) that can run the software that takes the bits and bytes from the internet and get it ready to feed to the DAC a meter away....right?
Okay - this is getting too complicated and I went through something similar to what you are trying to figure out. In my old system, I had my computer feeding my integrated amp (with a DAC) directly via USB cable. In my new system, the computer is across the room and much too far for a cable (and how to route it). I looked at various solutions (including a Raspberry Pi) and finally settled on the Bluesound because it does everything you are describing. Please note that the Node 2i is not dependent on Airplay (that is just a convenience factor or if one wants to play through the phone/tablet only). One can use the computer to play through the Bluesound (at full resolution) or through the Bluesound app (again at full resolution, as long as it is on your computer - files or, say Tidal/Quboz desktop app) all over wifi.

BTW, this is a killer deal: the Vault 2 (which is a Node 2i plus CD ripper/storage) for $600

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I need to get the Tidal stream to the DAC...most DACs i'm seeing in the $1000 range don't have Wifi and instead expect the digital signal to come from PC via a USB connection. So i need some sort of machine (PC or RasbPi or something) that can run the software that takes the bits and bytes from the internet and get it ready to feed to the DAC a meter away....right?
The beauty of Audirvana is the computer interface and ease of use. You don't get that without a Mac or Win computer. Even if your receiver doesn't support DLNA you could use a DAC like the Topping E30

Connect it to the Receiver with RCA and the USB to the computer. Then you could control it with a phone or an iPad from any room with wifi.

If you don't want to use a computer then maybe BluOS is what you want? I would miss the easy interface but computers aren't for everyone.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If he just wants Tidal streaming and doesn't have files to send, he may not save anything by going with Audirvana and a WiFI DAC connected to his legacy equipment. I think the Node 2i gets him where he needs to go at a similar all in price.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Okay - this is getting too complicated and I went through something similar to what you are trying to figure out. In my old system, I had my computer feeding my integrated amp (with a DAC) directly via USB cable. In my new system, the computer is across the room and much too far for a cable (and how to route it). I looked at various solutions (including a Raspberry Pi) and finally settled on the Bluesound because it does everything you are describing. Please note that the Node 2i is not dependent on Airplay (that is just a convenience factor or if one wants to play through the phone/tablet only). One can use the computer to play through the Bluesound (at full resolution) or through the Bluesound app (again at full resolution, as long as it is on your computer - files or, say Tidal/Quboz desktop app) all over wifi.

BTW, this is a killer deal: the Vault 2 (which is a Node 2i plus CD ripper/storage) for $600
Bad influences I tell you!:p

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
If he just wants Tidal streaming and doesn't have files to send, he may not save anything by going with Audirvana and a WiFI DAC connected to his legacy equipment. I think the Node 2i gets him where he needs to go at a similar all in price.
It sounds more like an issue of the OP not understanding how Audirvana works. That is the ideal market for Node 2i. :cool:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Come on now, I just don't think he wanted to cable connect the PC to the system. He wouldn't save anything with a WIFI DAC that can handle 192hkz and also pay for Audirvana. I'm thinking of Audirvana when I do my PC upgrade but I will ethernet connect it all. Guess I'm crawling under the house, again.:confused:

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Come on now, I just don't think he wanted to cable connect the PC to the system. He wouldn't save anything with a WIFI DAC that can handle 192hkz and also pay for Audirvana. I'm thinking of Audirvana when I do my PC upgrade but I will ethernet connect it all. Guess I'm crawling under the house, again.:confused:
Ancient non DLNA setup
Topping E30 = $129.99 shipped (AK4493 32Bit/768kHz DSD512)
Audirvana = $96
Total = $225.99

Current Receivers with DLNA
Audirvana = $96 total

Node 2i = $549

:D
You choose!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Is it WIFI?
The Ancient Receiver without DLNA
No it's more reliable USB connection. And it comes with software to control the computer via phone.

DLNA capable Receiver
Supports wifi or USB

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Ancient Receiver without DLNA
No it's more reliable USB connection. And it comes with software to control the computer via phone.

DLNA capable Receiver
Supports wifi or USB
I'm going to buy a VAULT 2 just to spite you.:p

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Question though, how much space are a few hundred CD's ripped in AIFF gonna' take up?

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
I actually have very simple needs....I only stream (Tidal, spotify, iHeart) and i don't have any issues with any of the application interfaces - i typically press a button on a session and let it play for a few hours. As long as i can create a playlist i'm golden.

The Node 2i is actually perfect for me in terms of what it does - it take the internet from the air (wifi) decodes it and converts it to RCA analog (DAC) that i can then feed to my pre-amp/amp setup. My issue is that because the Node 2i packs a lot of functionality I can do better on the DAC side. So if i go with a dedicated DAC for a little more money I can get better sound out of my setup.

I'm sure some will say none of this matters and i won't hear the difference but whats the fun in that when I can start to piece together an optimized system...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, what the hell are you doin' here, start shoppin'.:p

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
Well, what the hell are you doin' here, start shoppin'.:p
If i can convert the node 2 later to be just a transport device and connect it to a DAC later on i think that might be the path. Use it now as transport, decoder, and DAC then later on I can upgrade to a higher end DAC that gets feed a digital signal from the Node.

Appreciate the help from this group on letting me struggle through this...

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Question though, how much space are a few hundred CD's ripped in AIFF gonna' take up?
Scratch all that - my math is way off!

Edit: math was correct, brain was off. You could fit +/- 4000 CDs ripped to AIFF

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
If i can convert the node 2 later to be just a transport device and connect it to a DAC later on i think that might be the path. Use it now as transport, decoder, and DAC then later on I can upgrade to a higher end DAC that gets feed a digital signal from the Node.

Appreciate the help from this group on letting me struggle through this...
The only thing that is keeping me from experimenting with a dedicated outboard DAC is $$$ (or the lack thereof, actually). I have my eye on the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro ($2K) the SMSL M400 ($800) and the Topping D90 ($700) to name a few within reason. That being said, the Node 2i sounds pretty darn good as-is!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
My iTunes folder has 4500 tracks and weighs in at 43GB. That leaves 732GB left on my internal MBP SSD.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis