Adding streaming (tidal) to legacy system

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I looked at Bluesound Node 2i but once I realized for $100 I could do it all in software with Audirvana and have my CD ripper and streaming all on my MBP, it didn't make sense to buy more hardware.

Audirvana lets you easily select music from all sources on the same page. Tidal, Qobuz and CD rips all right in front of me with the ability to make playlists. I never use the Tidal or Qobuz apps anymore as Audirvana handles it better and provides a DLNA interface. No more Airplay2 format restrictions!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
You sure it's the same master/recording? Compared level matched?
Good questions.
1. The version on Qobuz is 10db softer... who knows why.
2. The version on Tidal is 10db louder than the Qobuz version. This is not always the case for other tracks.
3. CD version is the same level as Tidal but the cymbals are more controlled and the balance between highs and lows is notificably better on the BMRs. Tidal highs seem exaggerated. (At least on this track)

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I looked at Bluesound Node 2i but once I realized for $100 I could do it all in software with Audirvana and have my CD ripper and streaming all on my MBP, it didn't make sense to buy more hardware.

Audirvana lets you easily select music from all sources on the same page. Tidal, Qobuz and CD rips all right in front of me with the ability to make playlists. I never use the Tidal or Qobuz apps anymore as Audirvana handles it better and provides a DLNA interface. No more Airplay2 format restrictions!
What does your MBP stream to or do you do feed it digitally to a DAC?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
What does your MBP stream to or do you do feed it digitally to a DAC?
I have several ways I use the MBP.
1. In my office I connect the MBP via USB to the USB port on the Hegel H90 integrated amp. The Hegel H90 USB port shows up as TE7022 Audio. The Hegel is basically a sound card for the MBP in this configuration.

2. The other way I connect is via Wifi over UnPN to the Denon 4700. The Denon accepts DLNA connections so this works as a wireless network without using Airplay2. It's just like connecting directly to the receiver. Audirvana allows me to select the Denon 4700 as a Network connection.

3. Another way I could connect is to attach a 3rd party DAC to the Denon 4700 and attach the MBP to the DAC with a USB cable. Audirvana provides a software interface for iPhone or iPad so I can control the computer via this remote interface from anywhere on site.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Still thinking about Audirvana after a PC upgrade. Though, I'm tired of experimenting with different devices. I've tried Tidal over airplay, airplay 2, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield and through the built in apps on two Onkyos and a Yamaha. So far, the best sound has come from the new Onkyo. While Masters are capped at 48/24, they still sound better than on any of the other devices. Received word from Onkyo today that they have no plans to support Atmos or MQA within their Tidal app. Still waiting to hear from Yamaha. I hate having to use another device when built in apps are available.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Still thinking about Audirvana after a PC upgrade. Though, I'm tired of experimenting with different devices. I've tried Tidal over airplay, airplay 2, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield and through the built in apps on two Onkyos and a Yamaha. So far, the best sound has come from the new Onkyo. While Masters are capped at 48/24, they still sound better than on any of the other devices. Received word from Onkyo today that they have no plans to support Atmos or MQA within their Tidal app. Still waiting to hear from Yamaha. I hate having to use another device when built in apps are available.
The limitation for built in apps is they convert the music to lossy format. This is true of apps for Tidal, Qobuz and HEOS. In fact, the Qobuz app actually warns the user while the rest do not.

The one way I found to get around that is to use the USB port on the Denon with HEOS but the interface is kludgy compared to Audirvana. With MBP it's so much easier to select tracks, make playlists and all without compressing the music.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, if it says FLAC 44/16 it's lyin' to me? Eh, wouldn't be the first time somebody lied to me about their number. Can compressed not be lossless? Are ALAC and DTHD f#%kin' with me too? Is nothin' f#%kin' sacred? :eek:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well the bit depth and sample rate you'd think would represent cd in that FLAC I'd assume but what bit rate? :) Compressed may of course be lossy (MP3s) or lossless (like ALAC).

What's DTHD?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
So, if it says FLAC 44/16 it's lyin' to me? Eh, wouldn't be the first time somebody lied to me about their number. Can compressed not be lossless? Are ALAC and DTHD f#%kin' with me too? Is nothin' f#%kin' sacred? :eek:
It depends on what device you are streaming from. For instance, if you stream from a phone or an iPad with Qobuz it will alert you that it's delivering compressed music.

Other services do it without the alert. If the device supports UPnP you won't have these issues.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It depends on what device you are streaming from. For instance, if you stream from a phone or an iPad with Qobuz it will alert you that it's delivering compressed music.

Other services do it without the alert. If the device supports UPnP you won't have these issues.
How does Universal Plug n Play avoid such issues? By delivering compressed music you mean it indicates FLAC?

Last edited:
D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
Anyone know about the Topping MQA box? I read a raving Review of its sound quality but it seemed a little too good and could be propaganda. Plus it’s not just made in China...it’s designed and based in China.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Anyone know about the Topping MQA box? I read a raving Review of its sound quality but it seemed a little too good and could be propaganda. Plus it’s not just made in China...it’s designed and based in China.
Many good dacs from there....have you checked out the technical reviews at audiosciencreview.com? Believe the Topping designer posts there, too.

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
BTW tonight I’m streaming tidal and Spotify on my single sonos speaker to compare on this setup. I may be crazy but the Spotify sounds bigger and clearer to me vs. Tidal Hifi. Need more time but goes to show a lot of this comes down to personal preference...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
BTW tonight I’m streaming tidal and Spotify on my single sonos speaker to compare on this setup. I may be crazy but the Spotify sounds bigger and clearer to me vs. Tidal Hifi. Need more time but goes to show a lot of this comes down to personal preference...
Or informal/improper comparison technique.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why overthink a digital signal delivery? I suppose the ISP may screw with it a bit....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis