Adding streaming (tidal) to legacy system

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
How does Universal Plug n Play avoid such issues? By delivering compressed music you mean it indicates FLAC?
The DLNA interface does not compress the data. What you send is what you get. With Bluetooth and Airplay2 it's another story. Here's a note from Qobuz on the issue:'

"Listening through your phone, via a wireless device
First of all, please note that Bluetooth is unfortunately not a viable option, as the files are compressed before being read by your Bluetooth device, negating the value of Hi-Res quality. The Airplay function on iOS only allows Qobuz to be used in CD quality due to Airplay’s restriction to 16-bit digital audio files at 48 kHz.
Among the reliable solutions, you can use: Google Cast / Chromecast built-in

On iOS (as on Android), the Qobuz app is compatible with Google cast/Chromecast built-in, i.e. you can stream Qobuz in Hi-Res to devices compatible with this service (in 24-bit at 96 kHz in most cases and up to 24-bit at 192 kHz on some devices).

It’s both a simple and universal solution, offering a very good sound quality due to it being in FLAC format. It also has the advantage of not draining your battery, as your smartphone acts as a remote control, with the files being played directly from the Qobuz servers by your Google Cast/Chromecast built-in device."

Audirvana uses DLNA to maintain the integrity of Hi-Res files as well. The other method you could use is an external DAC but I prefer the flexibility of Audirvana.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The DLNA interface does not compress the data. What you send is what you get. With Bluetooth and Airplay2 it's another story. Here's a note from Qobuz on the issue:'

"Listening through your phone, via a wireless device
First of all, please note that Bluetooth is unfortunately not a viable option, as the files are compressed before being read by your Bluetooth device, negating the value of Hi-Res quality. The Airplay function on iOS only allows Qobuz to be used in CD quality due to Airplay’s restriction to 16-bit digital audio files at 48 kHz.
Among the reliable solutions, you can use: Google Cast / Chromecast built-in

On iOS (as on Android), the Qobuz app is compatible with Google cast/Chromecast built-in, i.e. you can stream Qobuz in Hi-Res to devices compatible with this service (in 24-bit at 96 kHz in most cases and up to 24-bit at 192 kHz on some devices).

It’s both a simple and universal solution, offering a very good sound quality due to it being in FLAC format. It also has the advantage of not draining your battery, as your smartphone acts as a remote control, with the files being played directly from the Qobuz servers by your Google Cast/Chromecast built-in device."

Audirvana uses DLNA to maintain the integrity of Hi-Res files as well. The other method you could use is an external DAC but I prefer the flexibility of Audirvana.
Well I don't use BT or anything applish :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well I don't use BT or anything applish :)
Yeah, and you only use a Victrola you crank yourself.:D Come on, do that little dance for us, "Come on and hear, come on and hear Alexander's Ragtime Band...":D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, and you only use a Victrola you crank yourself.:D Come on, do that little dance for us, "Come on and hear, come on and hear Alexander's Ragtime Band...":D
Had your coffee yet?

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
So as i've started to unpack this it seems this comes down to how do you get the bits-bytes from the internet down to the DAC. I've come to the conclusion that i'd prefer to get a stand-alone DAC which would be higher quality at my price point then a unit that has the wifi/BT and DAC (streamer) combined.

I'm now left with how do i get Tidal (or any streaming service) to the DAC without losing any quality. I can use a dedicated desktop for this but that seems like it requires an upgraded USB card and that card needs its own upgraded power supply. I've seen different pointers to building something custom using rasp-pi and open source software. I'm not scared of that option but that seems to not be an improvement on streaming from a desktop.

What is the best way to get the digital content off my internet router and into the DAC in a way that allows me to control Tidal or other services from iPad (not stream from ipad)?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Personally, I think the MBP (notebook)is an easier option than the iPad. It provides a bigger screen and you can use it wirelessly. If you use the iPad you need a cable that converts from Lightning To USB then to a DAC, next to the receiver.

Even when that's done you don't have a way to control the iPad remotely with another device?

An easier option would be to copy your tunes to a USB stick, insert it into a Denon receiver and use HEOS on the iPad to control it. Not as nice as the MBP solution but it works. This lacks streaming support but sound quality is great.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Yeah... if you want to spend 4x as much as Audirvana and have less control BluOS is an option.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, he wanted options. The control app should work with a Node 2i. It’s his money to spend as he sees fit and to get the functionality he wants in his system.

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
I'm all for Audirvana - that runs on a PC (notebook, MBP, laptop, whatever) and i believe i can control that from any device. By control I am referring to sending commands to the Audirvana software on the PC to tell it what to stream to the DAC.

Problem i'm struggling with is the PC-->DAC connection. OR can i get rid of the PC part with a Rasp-Pi or another device that won't break the bank? Everything i'm reading is saying that part is super important and using standard USB port from a PC or Rasp-Pi will cancel all the good i'm doing with a mid-end DAC.

So options as i can tell...

1 - PC with an upgraded USB card and power supply made just for high-end audio
2 - Some sort of device paired with a wireless connection like a Sonore microRendu - but thats $600!

Or is there some sort of interim solution that i can upgrade with with #1/#2 above at a later time when i get more funds and/or think i really need it? Is that a Rasp-Pi solution running Audirvana or something else?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I thought VMPS said you could have control of it from another device. He'll verify though.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
It's not as complicated as you may think.
If you are using a receiver that supports DLNA you can use any PC with wifi.
1. No need to buy a DAC as the receiver already has one.
2. No need to purchase a separate USB card.

If you want to use a DAC, simply attach it to the PC via USB and RCA to receiver. Then control it with the Audirvana remote software (phone/tablet) that's included. No need for anything else.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It's not as complicated as you may think.
If you are using a receiver that supports DLNA you can use any PC with wifi.
1. No need to buy a DAC as the receiver already has one.
2. No need to purchase a separate USB card.

If you want to use a DAC, simply attach it to the PC via USB and RCA to receiver. Then control it with the Audirvana remote software (phone/tablet) that's included. No need for anything else.
Are you wireless at both ends on your system?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Are you wireless at both ends on your system?
With my Denon 4700 I am.

Wifi -> Qobuz/Tidal -> MBP running Audirvana -> WiFi/DLNA -> Denon 4700
OR
CD RIP -> MBP running Audirvana -> USB/Hegel H90 -> BMR
OR
CD RIP -> MBP running Audirvana -> WiFi/DLNA -> Denon 4700 -> Sierra Towers

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
I am wireless to my PC and would prefer to be wireless to my DAC/pre-amp/amp setup if i can be. Can i get Audirvana to run on a RasbPi setup so i don't have to have the PC near by stero setup?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I am wireless to my PC and would prefer to be wireless to my DAC/pre-amp/amp setup if i can be. Can i get Audirvana to run on a RasbPi setup so i don't have to have the PC near by stero setup?
You don't have to have the PC in the same room if you have wifi.
I don't know much about RasbPi but it seems that would replace computer? Why?

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
I need to get the Tidal stream to the DAC...most DACs i'm seeing in the $1000 range don't have Wifi and instead expect the digital signal to come from PC via a USB connection. So i need some sort of machine (PC or RasbPi or something) that can run the software that takes the bits and bytes from the internet and get it ready to feed to the DAC a meter away....right?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
The OP needs to get the signal to his legacy system (i.e., all analog, no receiver with DNLA/DAC) hence something like a Pi.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis