Adding streaming (tidal) to legacy system

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
Hi All - I'm dusting off my old system that's been sitting in a closet for 15 years because I'm tired of listening to Spotify on my echo speaker. I've got a nice powerful Haffler amp with a NAD 1600 pre-amp and a pair of Definitive speakers that have always served me well. Right before i had to retire this system I replaced those with an NAD integrated amp and that turned out to be a real downgrade - so i know and like my existing amp/pre-amp setup.

Now i just need to add something so i can stream Tidal primarily and play Spotify and other things from iPhones, etc. I'm debating where I should put my money and at what point won't i notice the difference. There are some sub $1000 "streamers" like the Bluesound Node 2i that get great reviews and seems like I can just add it to my setup. I'm also seeing some 1k-2k machines like the NAD C 658 or Rotel RC-1590 that include a pre-amp that might be an upgrade for my NAD 1600 pre-amp that is 25+ years old. Alternatively i'm wondering do i just get the best DAC i can afford and then get a cheap device to stream to it since i can't see that part of the system being differentiated between products.

My goal is best quality sound so my question is what will have the most impact on that - the streaming (getting it from Wifi and sending to DAC), the DAC itself, or the pre-amp?

Welcome any sage advice from folks that have been through this thought process recently.

Thanks!

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
I don't think so - probably more of a nice to have. I'm happy with typical CD quality but from coming from my streaming service....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think so - probably more of a nice to have. I'm happy with typical CD quality but from coming from my streaming service....
So you like Tidal for the interface or library? Consider Qobuz or Amazon instead? Their libraries are more similar than different, they get them from the same places. And no MQA bullshit. Personally am happy with Spotify, trialled both Tidal and Qobuz. MQA is enough reason for me to drop Tidal from consideration and the library wasn't special nor the interface and it kept annoying me with Jayz ads.

Something like a chromecast audio can be added easily to either old analog gear or just gear limited to an optical input and will work nicely with streaming services using your phone as a remote....as to having a separate box I'd probably think more about a Raspberry Pi/DAC combo perhaps. I'm cheap, wouldn't need it to be in a fancy box from an audio brand.

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
Yea seems like the Node 2i does it all and if I already have a pre-amp / amp combo i like that would save me from dropping $1500 on something like the NAD. However, if that $1500 was going to get me better sound it would be worth it to me. Not sure i see many options for a "better" version of Node 2i at a higher price point but not crazy high....

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
So you like Tidal for the interface or library? Consider Qobuz or Amazon instead? Their libraries are more similar than different, they get them from the same places. And no MQA bullshit. Personally am happy with Spotify, trialled both Tidal and Qobuz. MQA is enough reason for me to drop Tidal from consideration and the library wasn't special nor the interface and it kept annoying me with Jayz ads.
Haven't tried Tidal yet actually - i love my Spotify but i'm looking to improve upon the sound quality. I don't care too much about the interface and Tidal appears to have an equally large library. Not sure where MQA fits in - i thought those tracks would still play but i wouldn't get the full impact of that format. Without MQA steaming box are those tracks not available?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, if you only have analog inputs on your equipment and you want to airplay from iphones, the Node 2i supports airplay and has analog outputs so that might be a good option for you.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I actually like the iPhone app for Tidal and the MQA tracks will still play over airplay. I believe airplay is limited to 44.1/16. Still CD quality and sounds good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't tried Tidal yet actually - i love my Spotify but i'm looking to improve upon the sound quality. I don't care too much about the interface and Tidal appears to have an equally large library. Not sure where MQA fits in - i thought those tracks would still play but i wouldn't get the full impact of that format. Without MQA steaming box are those tracks not available?
I couldn't tell a difference but I use a streaming service more for finding music to buy, mostly I stream my own ripped cd library wirelessly in a variety of ways around the house (primarily thru avrs or bluray players plus a few of the audio chromecast units on some of the older pre-wifi stuff).

MQA is a lossy codec with fantastic claims and really serves no purpose with today's bandwidth, was a solution more in search of a problem. If you want to get all the benefits you need to have a decoder....which only really is useful with this service so you can get all the magic of unfolding. Screw 'em. :) CD quality as well as some higher resolutions are available from Qobuz and Amazon without need for special gear.

What's wrong with the sq of Spotify....are you using premium? Got the settings optimized?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Come on lovin, grab your board and get on the Tidal wave!:D I love messin' with this guy!;)

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I have Qobuz and Tidal. They are great for locating new music. But my ripped AIFF CD's sound much better than either service. I have to agree with @lovinthehd

:cool:

D

DaveInPA

Enthusiast
What's wrong with the sq of Spotify....are you using premium? Got the settings optimized?
Yea i'm using premium but its limited to 320kbps which if i'm not mistaken is way behind the other streaming services if i'm using my home audio setup?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea i'm using premium but its limited to 320kbps which if i'm not mistaken is way behind the other streaming services if i'm using my home audio setup?
Can you tell the difference between 320kbps Ogg Vorbis and a lossless cd file? There are various ways to test that....most can't. Telling hi-res from cd is more difficult.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General

Fourplay 101 Eastbound sounds fine on Tidal. But the CD version has way more punch and clarity.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Hi All - I'm dusting off my old system that's been sitting in a closet for 15 years because I'm tired of listening to Spotify on my echo speaker. I've got a nice powerful Haffler amp with a NAD 1600 pre-amp and a pair of Definitive speakers that have always served me well. Right before i had to retire this system I replaced those with an NAD integrated amp and that turned out to be a real downgrade - so i know and like my existing amp/pre-amp setup.

Now i just need to add something so i can stream Tidal primarily and play Spotify and other things from iPhones, etc. I'm debating where I should put my money and at what point won't i notice the difference. There are some sub $1000 "streamers" like the Bluesound Node 2i that get great reviews and seems like I can just add it to my setup. I'm also seeing some 1k-2k machines like the NAD C 658 or Rotel RC-1590 that include a pre-amp that might be an upgrade for my NAD 1600 pre-amp that is 25+ years old. Alternatively i'm wondering do i just get the best DAC i can afford and then get a cheap device to stream to it since i can't see that part of the system being differentiated between products.

My goal is best quality sound so my question is what will have the most impact on that - the streaming (getting it from Wifi and sending to DAC), the DAC itself, or the pre-amp?

Welcome any sage advice from folks that have been through this thought process recently.

Thanks!
From my experience, the Node 2i is very hard to beat at its asking price as it is super easy to use and sounds great. As far as streaming services go, that is up to the user and the user's preference and what the user may or not be able to hear (or is concerned about hearing). I use Tidal primarily but have experimented with Amazon HD and Qobuz (both are just fine). If MQA unfolding is important, the Tidal Direct option on the app sends the MQA file to the Bluesound for the second unfold, bypassing Airplay's limitations. For extra grins and giggles, I use Roon, which lets me access my ripped library over wi-fi through the Node and at full resolution. Highly recommended!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis