P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My Marantz outputs 1.2 volts from the RCA outputs and 2.4 volts from the XLR outputs to the amp. If I'm reading this correctly the Crown XLS-1500 needs 1.4 volts minimum so I'd be better off using the XLR outs from the Marantz to the Crown?
Thanks, Sam
If 1.4V is needed to get the rated output, then 1.2V will get you about 73.5% of the rated output. As I said before the 1.2V spec is not the maximum but you are going to use XLR anyway.

slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
I hooked it up last night and 1.2 is not enough. Gains on the Crown at 3:00 and output adjustment from the Marantz at almost max. Using my original settings for my Adcom, volume with the Crown was maybe 60% of the volume with the Adcom. With all the gains turned up the Crown sounds bright and lifeless as amps will when they're overdriven. So far not a good match for my KLF's. I'll try it with the XLR's and hopefully it improves, if not I'll send it back, get my Adcoms serviced, and be done with it.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I was still playing with "monkey coffin".
Wouldn't it be cool to be buried in a speaker cabinet!!!

I think Gene plans to get cremated and buried in one of his Status Acoustics Decimo bookshelf cabinets!:D

Hell, they wouldn't even beable to bury my 'Lord Helmet' in one of those things - even cremated.

DJ

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I hooked it up last night and 1.2 is not enough. Gains on the Crown at 3:00 and output adjustment from the Marantz at almost max. Using my original settings for my Adcom, volume with the Crown was maybe 60% of the volume with the Adcom. With all the gains turned up the Crown sounds bright and lifeless as amps will when they're overdriven. So far not a good match for my KLF's. I'll try it with the XLR's and hopefully it improves, if not I'll send it back, get my Adcoms serviced, and be done with it.
Don't know if it will make a difference, but it is generally best to have gain on amp wide open and control volume at pre. This is the way a typical home amp is used (no gain control).

jinjuku

jinjuku

The RCA's on that model of Crown are still expecting +10dBv pro level signals as previously stated in thread.

The balanced out of the Marantz to the balanced input should do the trick.

slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
The RCA's on that model of Crown are still expecting +10dBv pro level signals as previously stated in thread.

The balanced out of the Marantz to the balanced input should do the trick.
I agree. I don't like over driving gains to achieve volume output, it's the wrong way to do it and it ends up sounding like crap. No depth, no soundstage, no midrange. Like the overcompressed cds nowadays, not much dynamics but a whole lotta loud.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Here is Crowns 1 pager on gain staging:

1. Turn down the power amplifier level controls all the way.

2. Set the mixer master faders and group faders to design
center. The Marantz user guide should tell you where this is for them. If not contact Marantz. They won't have faders. They have volume knobs.

3. Play a program through your mixer. On the loudest part of
the program, set the mixer channel faders so the mixer meters
peak at 0 maximum.

4. As the program is playing, gradually turn up the amplifier
level controls to the desired volume.

You may have to run the amp at full level if you want really
high volume (and your speakers can take it), but at least the
mixer will be working at its optimum output level.

Note: If you are a contractor setting up a system for a client,
you need to consider what the system user will do. Once you
leave the system in their hands, they might crank the amps up
full to get more level out of their system. When they do this,
the system might have audible background hiss, and might
clip or burn out speakers. This is an argument for setting the
gain structure with the amps open wide. You live with a little
hiss in order not to have more gain available to the user.
You could insert a compressor/limiter following the mixer to
prevent clipping, but the system still will be noisy.

Ideally you set the gain structure as suggested, then make the
level controls inaccessible. If possible, lock the amp’s level
controls in place or cover the amp with a locked cover that
allows airflow. The level controls on some Crown amplifiers
can be locked.

So, don’t worry if you have to set the power-amp knobs less
than wide open. You’re still getting all the power you need, and
the system will have adequate headroom and low noise.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Did you manage some XLR connectors? If you were feeding the Crown with the RCA's from the Marantz remember you were most likely feeding them .775v consumer voltage.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you should set the Crown's gains to maximum as we typically do with non pro amps. If you are using the AV7005, leave the trims at 0 as you probably did with the Adcom.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think you should set the Crown's gains to maximum as we typically do with non pro amps. If you are using the AV7005, leave the trims at 0 as you probably did with the Adcom.
That's what I did when I owned the 2 Crown XLS 2500 amps.

slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
Did you manage some XLR connectors? If you were feeding the Crown with the RCA's from the Marantz remember you were most likely feeding them .775v consumer voltage.
I ordered a pair from BJC, they should be here tomorrow.

slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
That's my plan for when the XLR's arrive tomorrow.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You should follow the process outlined before:

Turn the amp gains all the way down. Set the Marantz for it's 0dbfs. Play back material and adjust the gain on the amp till you have some desired level.

You may end up bumping the Marantz up a bit since I don't know if it has clip indicators or not.

You'll play with some permutation.

Don't start with the Crown gains wide open. Start with them all the way closed.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You should follow the process outlined before:

Turn the amp gains all the way down. Set the Marantz for it's 0dbfs. Play back material and adjust the gain on the amp till you have some desired level.

You may end up bumping the Marantz up a bit since I don't know if it has clip indicators or not.

You'll play with some permutation.

Don't start with the Crown gains wide open. Start with them all the way closed.
That's what he should do if he uses the balanced outputs of the Marantz. I suggested he turned them to max based on what he said he experienced when using RCAs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Whether he's using XLR or RCA, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just set the amp to MAX and use the remote control to adjust the speaker channel levels from the listening position?

Otherwise, he would be going back and forth to the amp to turn the gain knobs.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The point of gain staging this instance is to get the desired output without clipping the input signal or the amplifier.

This also has the desired effect of keeping the noise floor down.

If there are any issues or questions the OP may need to call Marantz for clarification.

Gain on a amp is it's sensitivity to input. The gains on the Crown don't have to be maxed to make full output.

Some XLR output is the standard +4 you have some that will do +7. With +7 the amp gain can be turned down and it will still hit it's wattage.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Wondering what happened with Slovell's XLR cables...

slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
Wondering what happened with Slovell's XLR cables...
Well, the post office in their infinite wisdom sent them to their hub in Columbia, SC which is pretty much underwater. Go figure.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis