Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
+1

If can't hear it from listening position, then it aint buzzing :D

You could (and maybe have /will) drive yourself mad trying to track down every little buzz in a complicated system. And some electronics have a buzz, even when operating normally and correctly.
You read my response, right? :D

I'm not trying to track down noises, but when I hear something like that, I wonder what it is because it started after five plus years of use. I figured - "Hey, here's a component to which all of my gear is plugged into, that is now making an electrical buzzing noise that it's never made before, and that has MOVs that people say fail after some period of time. Huh, might be a good idea to look into that before something fails and potentially damages something."

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You read my response, right? :D

I'm not trying to track down noises, but when I hear something like that, I wonder what it is because it started after five plus years of use. I figured - "Hey, here's a component to which all of my gear is plugged into, that is now making an electrical buzzing noise that it's never made before, and that has MOVs that people say fail after some period of time. Huh, might be a good idea to look into that before something fails and potentially damages something."
Maybe I missed something due to the Gollumses part of the thread:D

Yeah, if it is a known issue, then that is a different story.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Okay, in a desperate attempt to get this thread back on track... :D

I took the lid off of my Belkin power center today for the first time. It's actually built really well, IMO. Below are some of the pictures (size reduced) that I took of it.

When I plugged it in, there is definitely a component on the inside that is buzzing. I couldn't quite narrow down which one with my ear, though. It sounded like it was coming from the toroidal inductor in the center of the unit, but the sound was still there when I turned off the "switched" outlets...which should (I think) cut power to that component. So, perhaps it's one of the smaller toroids on the right side, or something else entirely.
I have a few friends that are mechanics. Many of them use cheap stethoscopes, like the ones made for kids, to locate were noises are coming from. Might be worth a shot.

Hey wait! I didn't mean to be on topic. Dang it all anyhow!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You might try damping the interior of the unit. Peel-N-seal would work. ;)

Buzzing doesn't sound good to me, but I'm no electrical engineer. Given how cheap power strips are I might replace it just in case.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
(I could've said 'stroke' of genius)....didn't want to derail the thread.
Yeah all it takes is a 4 letter word and the thread goes off into yet another tangent. :p

Wow Adam...nice chassis and look at all of them there female sockets one could plug into...even has them hard frequency erm high frequency rf cable jack covered as well... a real village bicycle of power supply/conditioners .

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Adam,

Have you heard anything from either the seller or credit card company yet?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
lol.... I was teetering between that pic and this one...
I'm only rarely offended on here, but you've managed to do that twice in one day in my thread. Kudos. :rolleyes:

Btw, I didn't touch your rep. Besides not being my style, I don't nuke my friends for bothering me.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam,

Have you heard anything from either the seller or credit card company yet?
Thanks for asking, man. I haven't, yet. I don't expect to hear from the seller - we left it squarely at I wanted to return it and he wouldn't accept that. That's what drove me to contact my credit card company, but they're still investigating.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
"Offended" was a bit strong, in retrospect. "Annoyed" might be better.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You might try damping the interior of the unit. Peel-N-seal would work. ;)

Buzzing doesn't sound good to me, but I'm no electrical engineer. Given how cheap power strips are I might replace it just in case.
Thanks. I guess it wasn't clear - the buzzing isn't loud enough that the sound itself bothers me. :) I can barely hear it with my head near the Belkin. But it's a newly discovered sound that makes me think that something might be on the verge of failing, so I looked into it.

Of course, I started looking into line conditioning again, and perused several products. I ultimately decided that my Belkin is probably just as good as any of the others that I was looking at.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have to say, the APC does filter out a ton of noise. I knew it filtered out a bit from my last place, but I haven't had anything plugged anything into the wall in the new place until I inserted the DEQ into the system. I went from no at 3 inches or so, to audible noise at the LP in a quiet room. After plugging the DEQ into the APC, I'm back to where I was before.

Although I will say it was interesting to see which frequencies I'm getting the noise in thanks to the DEQ.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for asking, man. I haven't, yet. I don't expect to hear from the seller - we left it squarely at I wanted to return it and he wouldn't accept that. That's what drove me to contact my credit card company, but they're still investigating.
I just went through this, yesterday, but my transaction was through ebay, and I paid with paypal.
I bought a used emo and it was described as perfect, when it got here it isn't perfect and I'm going to have to change a channel, when I told the seller he called me up and spoke with me {was nice at first}, I told him I would contact emo and see what it was going to cost... about an hour later he called me and said "I am washing my hands of it",
I said "what does that mean?"
He said "I don't want anything to do with the amplifier"
so I said "so you think you are just going to stick me with it?"
and in so many words he said "yes" and hung up on me....
So I grabbed my laptop and went to paypal, I went to the resolution center and put a paragraph about what happened, then listed that I would accept a partial refund of about half the amps cost or that I would return it for a full refund, now I know as soon as you start a claim, paypal locks their account, within 10 minutes I had the refund and the case was closed...
I would have taken $50 because I got a good deal on the amp, but because he was a tool I really didn't even want to keep it...

I am pretty sure the seller is a member here, and I tried to be as fair as possible but what ever...
Im sure your situation will work out fine, but I would stay ontop of it, you know what they say about the squeaky rabbit? or was it the squeaky kitten, I dont know something squeaky gets the milk... ;)

PS, sorry for polluting your thread with any non "Adams theater" material, but I couldn't resist...:) that's the last time, I promise... didnt mean to offend you...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis