Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Great...now Alex is going to post the picture of the woman in the bacon bikini.

This thread is going down faster than Rick at a Twister meet. :eek:

(Sorry, Rick...it was your turn, I guess. :D)

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Great...now Alex is going to post the picture of the woman in the bacon bikini.

This thread is going down faster than Rick at a Twister meet. :eek:

(Sorry, Rick...it was your turn, I guess. :D)
You don't like bacon?:eek:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ermmm just wondering where stuffed beavers and things that smell like wriggly fish fit into this thread? :eek: :p

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
What a small world... I didn't read everything that was going on but I just recently sold some schmuck in Arizona an amp that hasn't worked right in ages. I sold it on Audiogon to get some credibility and now this moron wants his money back. Unbelievable- some people. I don't want that broken amp back- why do you think I sold it? Geeesh.

Anyway- best of Luck, Adam. Lots of shady people out there. Hope it works out.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
What a small world... I didn't read everything that was going on but I just recently sold some schmuck in Arizona an amp that hasn't worked right in ages. I sold it on Audiogon to get some credibility and now this moron wants his money back. Unbelievable- some people. I don't want that broken amp back- why do you think I sold it? Geeesh.

Big trees near you?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, in a desperate attempt to get this thread back on track... :D

I took the lid off of my Belkin power center today for the first time. It's actually built really well, IMO. Below are some of the pictures (size reduced) that I took of it.

When I plugged it in, there is definitely a component on the inside that is buzzing. I couldn't quite narrow down which one with my ear, though. It sounded like it was coming from the toroidal inductor in the center of the unit, but the sound was still there when I turned off the "switched" outlets...which should (I think) cut power to that component. So, perhaps it's one of the smaller toroids on the right side, or something else entirely.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
At what distance do you stop being able to hear this buzzing? Have you got everything else powered off to allow it to buzz solo or is it part of a buzz chorus? Now I'm thinking that my gear might be buzzing up a storm and my hearing is just too shot to notice.Edit: Send that back too. Just get a Monster but keep it quiet like the rest of us. My HTS 3500 MK II has switched and timed outlets that work off a remote sensor that detects the rec'r being powered up for amps and subs. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
When I plugged it in, there is definitely a component on the inside that is buzzing. I couldn't quite narrow down which one with my ear, though. It sounded like it was coming from the toroidal inductor in the center of the unit, but the sound was still there when I turned off the "switched" outlets...which should (I think) cut power to that component. So, perhaps it's one of the smaller toroids on the right side, or something else entirely.
Great troubleshooting, Adam! Looks like you've got the problem narrowed down to the Belkin power center.:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
At what distance do you stop being able to hear this buzzing? Have you got everything else powered off to allow it to buzz solo or is it part of a buzz chorus? Now I'm thinking that my gear might be buzzing up a storm and my hearing is just too shot to notice.Edit: Send that back too. Just get a Monster but keep it quiet like the rest of us. My HTS 3500 MK II has switched and timed outlets that work off a remote sensor that detects the rec'r being powered up for amps and subs. Pretty cool.
Great troubleshooting, Adam! Looks like you've got the problem narrowed down to the Belkin power center.:D
:D

No, the Belkin isn't the source of the other issues. The amps hum whether they are plugged into it or not. :)

I can barely hear the buzzing in the Belkin when the cover is on, and my ear needs to almost up against it. It was just a LOT more evident with the cover off. The buzz is intermittent, though. Sometimes I can hear it, and sometimes I can't - but again, I can't ever hear it unless my ear is within an inch or two of it.

This Belkin also has switched and timed outlets, and it has both a DC and AC trigger. As for returning it...I got it almost six years ago. :p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought it was new ... oops. Anyways then it's a good one. I had my sister get I think that APC 10 something or other and it was always 'clicking'. Drove me crazy. Like you could hear it above regular movie or TV volume.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Dropping that stray cat off in front of his house was truly genius.
(I could've said 'stroke' of genius)....didn't want to derail the thread.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Adam, what are you doing with your ear up against this thing in the first place? does the sound resonate through the system or is it just a mechanical noise in the box? I would not worry about it if you can not hear it from the listening position,... If you can hear it, fill it with water and see if that helps dampen it..

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam, what are you doing with your ear up against this thing in the first place?
It's right by the amp that I was replacing...and putting back when the NHT was a dud. So, as I was working with the amp, my head was pretty close to the Belkin. I hadn't ever heard any noise from it before when I was working around it, so it caught my attention.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Adam, what are you doing with your ear up against this thing in the first place? does the sound resonate through the system or is it just a mechanical noise in the box? I would not worry about it if you can not hear it from the listening position,... If you can hear it, fill it with water and see if that helps dampen it..
+1

If can't hear it from listening position, then it aint buzzing :D

You could (and maybe have /will) drive yourself mad trying to track down every little buzz in a complicated system. And some electronics have a buzz, even when operating normally and correctly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis