a Democrat Texan wants more gun control...........

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Why would a guy use slugs for home defense?.. I'm talking g about thinking humans here.. Smart enough to know that a shotgun is The proper weapon...r 10 minutes of thought tells you that 10 feet is the range.. And regular old buckshot is the proper load for that distance for defense applications in most scenarios... There is no " off by just a bit" with shotguns at short range.. It's point and pull the trigger...the spread is probably 2 ft at 10 ft with a standard modified choke...hard to miss someone, and if you miss with a 12 gauge you missed by 4 ft with a handgun...
Slugs, because short barreled shotguns are illegal? I mean, hitting someone with a slug will definitely get their attention.

I have seen tests where the spread was far less than 2' at that distance, but then, you're expecting people to know what they're dealing with.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Well,. it works, but if they hit someone who's on Meth, Crack, etc- it just makes them mad.
Drugs , other than pcp, don't really cause super human powers and even pcp is overrated in most cases ...fmj's kill just fine hitting center mass or head shots.. It's the collateral damage and 1 shot knockdown power of hollow points that make them better( the mushroom effect causes long term damage that ends up in death more from off center shots.. And frankly it's easier to blow someone up bad with hollow points)...

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
A lot of people buy guns as a reaction but they let them sit on a shelf, in a drawer, maybe in a locked box of some kind. Do they go to the range? Nope. Have they become mildly accurate and know how to properly handle a gun? Nope. When they need it, they go full-on Barney Fife.
Bingo...

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Slugs, because short barreled shotguns are illegal? I mean, hitting someone with a slug will definitely get their attention.

I have seen tests where the spread was far less than 2' at that distance, but then, you're expecting people to know what they're dealing with.
Slugs are a BAD IDEA for shotgun home defense.. Those things can kill someone 2 rooms over.. Regular old buckshot( not 00) is great for the unskilled.. Folks FORGET that defense is about not killing the victims as much as it's about stopping intruders...that's why i like my little 22...

highfigh

highfigh

Slugs are a BAD IDEA for shotgun home defense.. Those things can kill someone 2 rooms over.. Regular old buckshot( not 00) is great for the unskilled.. Folks FORGET that defense is about not killing the victims as much as it's about stopping intruders...that's why i like my little 22...
We know that, but again, people need to know what they're dealing with. And many don't.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
We know that, but again, people need to know what they're dealing with. And many don't.
that's on the gun owner.. weapons are tools not toys .. and a whole buncha wannabe rambo's figure that out a little late..

highfigh

highfigh

that's on the gun owner.. weapons are tools not toys .. and a whole buncha wannabe rambo's figure that out a little late..
Exactly- they add to the problem of illegal gun possession and use by not securing theirs.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Apparently the 243 has loads that don't start to tumble after a few hundred yrds then... I was under the impression that caliber had serious long range issues...
That would be the ill fated .244 Remington, which eventually morphed into Rem 6mm. Once they got barrel twist rectified with respect to bullet weight.

The.243 Ackley is one very fine Varmint cartridge as I previously gave testament to.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
He's right though( without watching the vid).. If your soul interest is home defense a shotgun is vastly superior to a rifle or handgun , in that it's point and shoot no aiming needed just get a box of buckshot .. Load up , pull trigger.. No talent needed...
watch the vid, Joe is worth a laugh ! he talks about a dbl barrel shotgun ! certainly not a home defense weapon like a Mossberg 500 or a Benelli M4(my choice)

highfigh

highfigh

watch the vid, Joe is worth a laugh ! he talks about a dbl barrel shotgun ! certainly not a home defense weapon like a Mossberg 500 or a Benelli M4(my choice)
I think the Mossberg 500 is still the most popular.

One of the electronics distributors where I have an account had a customer appreciation day with a pig roast and, for anyone who was interested, trap shooting at a local range. Most of us got the range guns but one brought his Benelli. I have two bad shoulders and the owner of the Benelli said we could use it since his shoulder hurt. Mine felt great afterward- I don't know why it hurt his.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I think the Mossberg 500 is still the most popular.

One of the electronics distributors where I have an account had a customer appreciation day with a pig roast and, for anyone who was interested, trap shooting at a local range. Most of us got the range guns but one brought his Benelli. I have two bad shoulders and the owner of the Benelli said we could use it since his shoulder hurt. Mine felt great afterward- I don't know why it hurt his.
wait, you were shooting trap with tactical/home defense shotguns ?? !! that would have been a laugh !

highfigh

highfigh

wait, you were shooting trap with tactical/home defense shotguns ?? !! that would have been a laugh !
No, the Benelli isn't for home defense, although it might be if someone does something stupid at his house. We didn't have any Mossberg 500- I only mentioned it as a home defense gun, which is what I have read and heard.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
No, the Benelli isn't for home defense, although it might be if someone does something stupid at his house. We didn't have any Mossberg 500- I only mentioned it as a home defense gun, which is what I have read and heard.
if it's a Benelli 'Super Sport' I know the gun well, I have one in my clay gun arsenal.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Apparently the 243 has loads that don't start to tumble after a few hundred yrds then... I was under the impression that caliber had serious long range issues...
Eventually, a bullet sheds enough velocity to become unstable. Then, unless weather conditions are ideal, meaning no wind, the bullet will begin to fly erratically and tumble end over end. At that point (distance) Marksmanship ends. Most of the US Service Rifles from the 1903 Springfield to today's M16-A4 will get a projectile to 1000 yards nose-on. However, in the case of the M16 and its commercial equivalents, special ammunition and match conditioning of the rifle is needed to persuade bullets to go the distance. The former US Service Rifle, the M14, also needs match conditioning and special long range ammunition for competitive results at 1000 yards. The bottom line is Long Range Service Rife Competition requires shooters to muster everything there is to know about good shooting to win at it. The thing that separates the winners from others is knowing when position has synced with natural point of aim, much as the Princess could feel a pea under a stack of mattresses.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Eventually, a bullet sheds enough velocity to become unstable. Then, unless weather conditions are ideal, meaning no wind, the bullet will begin to fly erratically and tumble end over end. At that point (distance) Marksmanship ends. Most of the US Service Rifles from the 1903 Springfield to today's M16-A4 will get a projectile to 1000 yards nose-on. However, in the case of the M16 and its commercial equivalents, special ammunition and match conditioning of the rifle is needed to persuade bullets to go the distance. The former US Service Rifle, the M14, also needs match conditioning and special long range ammunition for competitive results at 1000 yards. The bottom line is Long Range Service Rife Competition requires shooters to muster everything there is to know about good shooting to win at it. The thing that separates the winners from others is knowing when position has synced with natural point of aim, much as the Princess could feel a pea under a stack of mattresses.
I figured that it must have been a special load...my info led me to think the stock military grade .243 had serious issues getting out to about 1/2that distance b4 it started tumbling.. I'm not a target shooter at all , all my practice was designed to make killing dinner easier.. The info i got was a while back and anecdotal in nature, but the info stuck with me...

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I figured that it must have been a special load...my info led me to think the stock military grade .243 had serious issues getting out to about 1/2that distance b4 it started tumbling.. I'm not a target shooter at all , all my practice was designed to make killing dinner easier.. The info i got was a while back and anecdotal in nature, but the info stuck with me...
I'm not aware of any military rifle being chambered for .243. No doubt the 7.62 X 51 XM110, essentially a scaled up AR-15, which is used by our Military can be chambered for .243 and similar rounds; and, it often has been built in .243 Winchester caliber; but, today the 110 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor has become most popular for cross the course competition for its accuracy and laser like external ballistics. BTW, the reason the .243 is not seen much in Long Range shooting events is the 6.5/284 does everything better, for the most part, a higher ballistic coefficient bullet which cheats the wind.

Last edited:
L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I'm not aware of any military rifle being chambered for .243. No doubt the XM110, essentially a scaled up AR-15, is used by our Military and it can be chambered for .243 and often has been built in .243 Winchester caliber; but, today the 110 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor has become most popular for cross the course competition for its accuracy and laser like external ballistics. BTW, the reason the .243 is not seen much in Long Range shooting events is the 6.5/284 does everything better, for the most part, a higher ballistic coefficient bullet which cheats the wind.
I was under the impression that the vietnam era m16 was a 243...

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You are loosing it, the debate that is, because facts do not support your position; thus, like all of your ilk, the only thing left in your quiver to sling are insults, which demonstrates your juvenile character. In other words, there's no point to having an adult conversation with you, since you have not developed your critical thinking skills enough to entertain ideas, persuade, or be persuaded.
You're facts restricts itself to guns and munitions, apart from that you're living in some right wing fantasy about Democrats that you repeat all the time. Anything outside guns themselves you are unable to say anything more than "Democrats don't like facts, are emotional" while you are not able to refute that a large majority wants some types of gun control.

You are just an old religious right-wing gun nut ranting about Democrats and the "left" while conspicuously silent about Trump and the violent insurrection, as well as the other bat poop crazy stuff going on in the GOP. Trump is a fascist with a very loyal following in GOP and you are OK with that. Apparently you don't even mind that there are House GOP members that literally wants to execute the Democratic leadership and those members are given standing ovation by the GOP House caucus.

But no, you're ranting about Democrats taking your guns away, never mind the growing fascist caucus in House GOP along with an even bigger autocrat caucus.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis