$750k Sonus Faber Speakers: Who's buying?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What the heck is that? :D
If I remember correctly that was a speaker with an ionic HF unit. That reverses the physics of a lightning conductor. It is a good path to extinction of lunatic audiophools, as they poison themselves with ozone as they "enjoy" their speakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If I remember correctly that was a speaker with an ionic HF unit. That reverses the physics of a lightning conductor. It is a good path to extinction of lunatic audiophools, as they poison themselves with ozone as they "enjoy" their speakers.
Nope, just ribbons striped over an onion shape for an omnidirectional transducer. I did hear one once, and I will be damned if it didn't sound pretty good, best omnidirectional speaker I have heard. Good, but not $400k good!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Nope, just ribbons striped over an onion shape for an omnidirectional transducer. I did hear one once, and I will be damned if it didn't sound pretty good, best omnidirectional speaker I have heard. Good, but not $400k good!
Some lunatic did make a speaker like I described.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

A few speakers have used plasma tweeters. I heard one at the 2023 Axpona. It was a strange sight, to say the least. Here is an article about it. Supposedly this one addresses the problem of ozone emission by the use of the helium tank, but don't ask me how.
That helium tank would prevent ozone being produced if the flow was large enough to displace and replace the oxygen in the spark gap.

If you use these devices in air, then O3 is formed which is ozone and very toxic.

Anyhow there is a world shortage of Helium now severely in limited supply to the war in Ukraine.

The Party Shop here in Eagan closed about three months or so ago, as Helium party balloons were a big part of their business.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis