Sonus faber Duetto Produce Great Sound Despite Buggy Interface

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I was among the first reviewers in the United States to spend time with the Sonus faber Duetto wireless speakers. But did I get my hands on them too soon? These $4K/pair speakers deliver truly impressive sound but the prototypes I reviewed were buggy.

From a hardware perspective, the Duettos are a 5-star product. They make music sound fantastic, and they look good doing it. Just a few years ago, you couldn’t ask more of a speaker. But using an all-in-one HiFi system like the Duettos is as much about software as it is about hardware. Before I can give these speakers an unqualified recommendation, Sonus faber will need to fix the operational glitches, complete the app, and deliver a smooth, seamless, and frustration-free user experience. Knowing the company’s reputation, I have every expectation Sonus faber will do just that. These excellent speakers deserve no less.

duetto.jpg

Read our review of the Sonus faber Duetto Powered Speakers

Last edited:
C

Chacranajxy

Audioholic Intern
It's been forever since I've posted here. Kind of nostalgic, actually.

Anyway, this is a direction that I really, really don't want to see speaker manufacturers head in. Active speakers are great - love the concept, and the advantages are pretty clear. But integrating the software into it is an automatic, hard no for me. Speakers should remain dumb. They should just work. Every time. Speaker manufacturers aren't typically great software engineers, and I suspect that you're going to see this sort of glitchiness in just about every mid-range to high-end manufacturer's "smart" products moving forward.

Power them, provide some DSP options - handle some stuff that's intrinsic to the sound output itself - but don't try to connect to my devices, because my devices are always changing, and there's going to be a point in the nearer-than-you-expect future where a perfectly good set of speakers becomes obsolete due to a phone OS update or something equally silly. Though I suppose having to throw them out and buy a new set is kind of a manufacturer's wet dream.

Either way, I like my speakers to remain "equipment" rather than "appliances".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis