$750k Sonus Faber Speakers: Who's buying?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I would not even want to live in the house that could secure those.

As recorded music improves/evolves, it occurs to me just how increasingly forgiving it tends to be on even the most generic of speakers. With regard to it's effect on my own comparatively humble stereo system, moves it into the category of priceless. Even my most budget speakers I can't manage to part with for what joy they bring in their own way.

If I had that kind of coin, I'd instead spend it on a building for an audio museum, filled with a bunch of less pretentious gear that somehow manages to sound better than it has a right to, and as some sort of homage to the mostly unknown designers that managed to pull it off with so much less. As it turns out, I already have a good start on the foundation of such a notion.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Even if I won 'The big one' I still couldn't be the chump that would purchase these. It just makes you a chump with more money than other chumps.

Hell, I wouldn't even buy brand new car. I'd be driving it around thinking 30% is streaming out the window over the next 2-3 years.

I would be going on vacation. A lot. With some decent $500 headphones for 1st class seats.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Even if I won 'The big one' I still couldn't be the chump that would purchase these. It just makes you a chump with more money than other chumps.

Hell, I wouldn't even buy brand new car. I'd be driving it around thinking 30% is streaming out the window over the next 2-3 years.

I would be going on vacation. A lot. With some decent $500 headphones for 1st class seats.
A new (inexpensive) car with a factory warranty is worth it for some people just for the peace of mind. I have a 2023 Subaru Crosstrek that I paid cash for, and it works for me. But if I won the lottery I probably wouldn't buy another car. Maybe a classic muscle car. :)

H

HuenEye

Enthusiast
I have plenty of other ideas about what to spend 750K on and speakers ain't one of the ideas. I listened to Wilson's $750K pair @ LMC in Scottsdale and while they sounded pretty good I didn't think they were that GOOD!! Same with TOL Burmeisters that costs almost the same but at least the Burmeisters have some great engineering design.

What I have a problem with is the boring designs of the speakers when there are better ways to build speakers and their drivers. I build speakers and have done lots of experimentation with ribbons, planars and AMTs which are all better than any cone drivers I have heard including those fancy diamond tweeters.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
$750,000? I'd never spend it on a set of speakers, even if I could afford to. I'd rather build a $500,000 home with a dedicated listening room (9x15x24) and then put about $50,000 into a 2 channel system: Cyrus CDt-XR with PSU-XR feeding into a Chord Dave feeding into a pair of ATC SCM100ASLT speakers. A new home, probably the most ass kicking stereo anyone you know has ever heard, and you still have $200,000 in you pocket. Vacation???

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis