5 Best Powered Subwoofers Under $500 for 2020

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Received my PC-2000 Pro last night and set it up. Wow is this thing big. So far impressed. Will try and dial it in later. I’ve never had what one would consider a good subwoofer so not much to compare too other than I know it sounds better than a previous bad subwoofer I had.

I’ll have to read up on all the audioholics subwoofer setup articles now to get this right. Going to be a fun week! Many thanks to everyone’s help here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you're finding the top best subwoofers under $500 then check it out here.

I have compelled the complete best list in this article. Hope you like it!
Thank you so much for this list, Simon. I thought my list was pretty decent, but now I see the error of my ways. I shall now exile myself to the wilderness until such time that I find the same enlightenment as you have. Please wish me good fortune, my friend!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady,

Have you ever seen these? OSD Cylinder Subs? I've noticed their AMPs lately that seem consistent with either Audiocontrol or Outlaw 5000x amps. Now I notice these smaller SVS cylinder clones

I haven't seen those but they do look interesting. The thing is, since cylinder subs don't tend to sell that well, I have to wonder about the manufacturing costs versus a regular box enclosure. If there isn't a significant manufacturing cost savings versus typical box enclosures, they probably aren't worth making from a business standpoint, at least until cylinders come back in style again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you're finding the top best subwoofers under $500 then check it out here.

I have compelled the complete best list in this article. Hope you like it!
LOL this part cracked me up:
Helpful Crossovers

Electric-based circuits help to redirect frequency levels and maintain main-enclosures and re-routed sounds. The bass of speakers is always non-directional, and it is difficult to pinpointed in one direction.

These new subwoofers can easily redirect the non-directional rays to different parts of the room helping in reducing the effect of earthquake sensation at one corner.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
How about the Polk with a pro of "rock-solid MDF construction" and a con of "low built quality"?

Or the Klipsch with a 10" coil(!!!) and life inputs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about the Polk with a pro of "rock-solid MDF construction" and a con of "low built quality"?

Or the Klipsch with a 10" coil(!!!) and life inputs?
LOL missed that, thanks. Not sure that compares with "electric-based circuits" tho....

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
LOL missed that, thanks. Not sure that compares with "electric-based circuits" tho....
"we finally picked Klipsch R-120SW Subwoofer Black as the best subwoofer under 500. The battery life, bass, and sound quality, with easy to port features, are the reason for selecting it as the best subwoofer."

I wonder what the battery life of my sub is?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"we finally picked Klipsch R-120SW Subwoofer Black as the best subwoofer under 500. The battery life, bass, and sound quality, with easy to port features, are the reason for selecting it as the best subwoofer."

I wonder what the battery life of my sub is?
I did see some mention of battery life, I guess he thinks in terms of UPS backup type systems?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I would just LOVE one of these show-offs for 2.2 or 2.1 stereo music listening subs. You know, we also have money to spend on a sub and would like to know which one to buy. I'm tinkering with the idea for at least a year now.

Also, in the age of DSP, are sealed subs reduced to a mere smaller footprint or is there an advantage to them?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
The advantage of a sealed sub is the small footprint (if that is important to you) and it's ease of construction if you are DIY'ing it. Other than that ported has the advantage, all other things being equal (properly designed box, same power, DSP, etc.)

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
$699 Canadian dollars. That's $523US. Isn't your review in US dollars? Or, do you guys pay $699US down there? 10-4 on the no sale prices but, Paradigm actually drops the MSRP if you watch(the X12 is at $1299 now and MSRP is $1649).

Yes, they thump pretty good. Watched "Midway" the other night and actually had to turn them down lol. I was going to go with 2 x PB-2000 Pros but, got these for quite a bit cheaper at a local dealer in sealed box. I'm happy with my decision and will try SVS next time...
I realize this post is about 4 months old, but just wondering where in Canada you are that you're able to get the Defiance X12 for 1299$? There is only one local dealer that I can find in this neck of the woods (Victoria BC) and they have it listed for 1649$. For 1299$, I'd go pick it up today.

Cheers

}Fear_Inoculum{

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
My daughter and son-in-law went to Banff for their honeymoon a few years ago. It is absolutely gorgeous and on my bucket list. What a beautiful place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

theshade

Audioholic Intern
In this article, we examine what we think are the best subwoofer choices for five-hundred dollars. Five-hundred dollars can get you something far superior to entry-level, but it doesn't get the best that can be had, so trade-offs are inevitable. All loudspeaker design, including subwoofer design, carries trade-offs, and we try to determine which models make the best compromises for their targeted use. Different situations call for different subwoofers, and we look at what we think might be the best choices for those applications. We will try to briefly explain why we think our selections can do well for their intended use. So let’s now take a look at what seems to be the better options out there in this price range.

READ: The Five Best Powered Subwoofers for Under $500 for 2020
Do you think the Polk HTS 12 is comparable to the SVS PB 1000 pro if I get two subs? This is because the svs costs $927 and the polk costs $544 in my country. Or should I just get 2 svs pb1000 pro regardless of its price in my country? I already have a ported sub that goes down low and will try to implement multi sub.

Regarding multisub, welti says that the subs should be similar thus I would like to implement a sub approach more in line with geddes with the caveat that I cannot run my mains full range as they are ported genelec 8030s. Can I run the mains full range if it is with a jbl lsr310s(studio sub with high passed outputs) then use the sub out of an avr to a minidsp where I would connect 2 polks, my diy sub. I recognize that this is not truly Geddes as he does not advocate crossovers.

In the geddes approach, where should people put their strongest performing sub? Is it the first one in a corner closest to the mains. I have searched and watch videos both of geddes and matthew poes but I cannot find detailed instructions.

I hope you or matthew poes answers. Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Do you think the Polk HTS 12 is comparable to the SVS PB 1000 pro if I get two subs? This is because the svs costs $927 and the polk costs $544 in my country. Or should I just get 2 svs pb1000 pro regardless of its price in my country? I already have a ported sub that goes down low and will try to implement multi sub.

Regarding multisub, welti says that the subs should be similar thus I would like to implement a sub approach more in line with geddes with the caveat that I cannot run my mains full range as they are ported genelec 8030s. Can I run the mains full range if it is with a jbl lsr310s(studio sub with high passed outputs) then use the sub out of an avr to a minidsp where I would connect 2 polks, my diy sub. I recognize that this is not truly Geddes as he does not advocate crossovers.

In the geddes approach, where should people put their strongest performing sub? Is it the first one in a corner closest to the mains. I have searched and watch videos both of geddes and matthew poes but I cannot find detailed instructions.

I hope you or matthew poes answers. Thanks!
I can only guess about the Polk HTS 12 since I don't have data for it, but I would guess that two HTS 12 subs would equal a PB-1000 Pro above 30Hz, but not below it. If you want deeper bass, the PB-1000 Pro is the one to get.

As for Geddes and full-range speakers, I wouldn't worry too much about running the mains full range even if you are trying for the Geddes approach. Geddes advises that where it is feasible, so that there are more points in the room that emit low frequencies which further helps to average out room modes. It can also help to reduce any localization you might get from the subs. In a sense, your subs with a high-passed signal to the main speakers would act like that but at a single point instead of two points, so it should be fine.

Regarding the strongest sub, I don't recall Geddes talking about that, but I would guess he would say that the subs should be placed in locations that best bring about their optimal performance, so for example, you wouldn't want to place a sub with powerful deep bass in a location where a null is particularly affecting in that frequency band. So measure the response at the locations where you place the sub, and place the subs that fits their strong suite the best if you are using different subs.

T

theshade

Audioholic Intern
I can only guess about the Polk HTS 12 since I don't have data for it, but I would guess that two HTS 12 subs would equal a PB-1000 Pro above 30Hz, but not below it. If you want deeper bass, the PB-1000 Pro is the one to get.

As for Geddes and full-range speakers, I wouldn't worry too much about running the mains full range even if you are trying for the Geddes approach. Geddes advises that where it is feasible, so that there are more points in the room that emit low frequencies which further helps to average out room modes. It can also help to reduce any localization you might get from the subs. In a sense, your subs with a high-passed signal to the main speakers would act like that but at a single point instead of two points, so it should be fine.

Regarding the strongest sub, I don't recall Geddes talking about that, but I would guess he would say that the subs should be placed in locations that best bring about their optimal performance, so for example, you wouldn't want to place a sub with powerful deep bass in a location where a null is particularly affecting in that frequency band. So measure the response at the locations where you place the sub, and place the subs that fits their strong suite the best if you are using different subs.

Thanks a lot! I was worried I could not implement it cause I cannot run my mains full range. Are the PB1000 pros worth it at $927? Is a used pb13 ultra a good buy at $1400? Are subwoofers safe to buy used? I have bought passive speakers used and never had any problems but I worry about active.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis